Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you guys, after a few games, say are the best and worst skills? (in the case of the unique skills, makes sure to take into account the other skills the player has. Yes Dodge sucks, but on Roger Dodgers it is amazing.) Here are mine (I'm sure I screwed up and forgot one, work with me here).

Best:

1. QB READ A MILLION TIMES OVER
2. Stiff Arm
3. Screen Passer

Other good ones: Team Player, Spin, Sideliner, Dodge, Shake, Juke

Worst:

1. Route Passer
2. Pocket Passer
3. Squeeze Play
4. Catch

What are your opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crowley
msg tools
As others have pointed out in other threads, Shove is pretty damn OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
As is said in the rules preview:

"Squeeze play doesn’t look that exciting at first. All I will say is that if it
is used to full potential, it can turn a star player into a legend. Just ask
#7 Harry Danders of the Kittens"

Squeeze play is can be pretty situational, but at the goal line it makes Danders almost unstoppable, all you need is one push and he scores. When I first tried it I was glad it was only on Danders as I thought it was potentially too powerful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really do love QB Read though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Stan Marina but I gotta be honest...the Pocket Passer seems like it is impossible to pull off. I think that's worse than Route Passer, which, I'm not sure if I would consider in the worse category yet. I think anything that helps passing is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonrally wrote:
As is said in the rules preview:

"Squeeze play doesn’t look that exciting at first. All I will say is that if it
is used to full potential, it can turn a star player into a legend. Just ask
#7 Harry Danders of the Kittens"

Squeeze play is can be pretty situational, but at the goal line it makes Danders almost unstoppable, all you need is one push and he scores. When I first tried it I was glad it was only on Danders as I thought it was potentially too powerful!

If the KITTENS are on the goal line, Danders will have to fail a skill check for you to have a chance of stopping them unless you can penetrate on a blitz with your #7 on the snap.

I'll add that the ability to use Squeeze Play to follow-up on a Juke makes for a nasty inside running game on any down once you learn to set-up the offensive line properly. It's really hard to see those angles too.

moonrally wrote:

QB Read is great, but there are some really solid counters for it. And no, I'm not going to talk about those yet- keep experimenting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jt4jc wrote:
I love Stan Marina but I gotta be honest...the Pocket Passer seems like it is impossible to pull off. I think that's worse than Route Passer, which, I'm not sure if I would consider in the worse category yet. I think anything that helps passing is good.

It's almost impossible to pull-off in 7-vs-7 unless you totally fool the defense. In 8-vs-8, you should be able to either pull it off [or make good use of it ] almost every single down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
jt4jc wrote:

It's almost impossible to pull-off in 7-vs-7 unless you totally fool the defense. In 8-vs-8, you should be able to either pull it off [or make good use of it ] almost every single down.

OOooohhhhh! That makes sense with 8v8 -- makes it a little easier to protect the QB.

Still, I'm going to see if I can pull it off in 7v7. I have an idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:

moonrally wrote:

QB Read is great, but there are some really solid counters for it. And no, I'm not going to talk about those yet- keep experimenting!

Of course you aren't. surprisewow

I just can't really figure out how to build a play around Squeeze play. I can see situationally it could be cool, but building a play around it seems hard. It didn't matter that I couldn't anyway, when I took the Kittens a couple of games ago I literally got a touchdown run on every play (the griffons could not get a single tackle), final score 28-14 after I intercepted a hail mary for a TD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jt4jc wrote:
OOooohhhhh! That makes sense with 8v8 -- makes it a little easier to protect the QB.

Still, I'm going to see if I can pull it off in 7v7. I have an idea...

I like the cut of your jib sir! Make sure to let us know how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
I just can't really figure out how to build a play around Squeeze play.

It's about setting up the angles to juke/squeeze through. It give you the added bonus of locking down defenders on the line. I'll probably have to take some pictures to illustrate some formations and play calls that will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jansen
msg tools
mbmb
voodooink wrote:
jt4jc wrote:

Pocket passer is better than you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjans wrote:
voodooink wrote:
jt4jc wrote:

Pocket passer is better than you think!

I just pulled it off today with the Big Cats vs. Omegas. Yes, I only pulled it off because holden didn't really blitz and was playing soft coverage most downs, mostly due to the threat of Fault, but still, it CAN work. You just need a #7 RB with juke to keep the defense honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malphas Z
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
Just had a look at the game but for me skills that are usable on both side of the ball seem to be the best:

Team Player
Block +
Shove
Blocking Party

and, one of the most underrated IMHO:

Lockdown. In defense, the use is obvious but in offense: perfect for a fullback picking up the blitz or for open field "blocks". You do not need to Run block if you halve the movement of the guy you stand next to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
cyagen wrote:
and, one of the most underrated IMHO:

Lockdown. In defense, the use is obvious but in offense: perfect for a fullback picking up the blitz or for open field "blocks". You do not need to Run block if you halve the movement of the guy you stand next to.

I didn't even realise that it worked on Offense too, very nice! I like that exact example too, a fullback with Lockdown is ace, makes me want to have another go at making a Superstar lineman/fullback. Something like: Shove, Lockdown, Team Player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malphas Z
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
You just need 2 skills.

Lineman 40 - Shove, Lockdown - O: You shove the dline 2 square away and move 2 squares to cover the Linebacker. D: You shove and put pressure in the backfield ("He managed to get to the second level" - "The inside pressure completely disturbed this play!")

Fullback 50 - Run Block, Lockdown - O: When he blocks a guy, he stays blocked - D: Bump and run ("Boom! He took him out from the play" - "He just stuffed the receiver on the LOS!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malphas Z
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
Brent wrote:

moonrally wrote:

One pretty obvious one is to go read and react on the first 2 to 3 cards. By then the skill would be less likely to make an impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malphas Z
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:
I just can't really figure out how to build a play around Squeeze play.

It's about setting up the angles to juke/squeeze through. It give you the added bonus of locking down defenders on the line. I'll probably have to take some pictures to illustrate some formations and play calls that will work.

You can also use it on defense to slip between defenders to put pressure in the backfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brew Monkey
msg tools
Shake has become one of my favorite skills. Fritz-Gerald-shake-on-a-defensive-lineman/full-activation-with-Plumber/pass-to-Gerald/full-activation-with-Gerald-for-a-big-gain combo can be deadly if executed correctly. Then queuing up Fritz again for even more yards is the icing on the cake. I've also used this combo with the Lumberjacks and Jack-o-Lanterns. I've yet to play with the Omegas.

Shake can also be used for lead blocking. On one play I sent Fritz through a gap in the line from a TE/wing position and performed a successful shake on a D-lineman to activate Plumber to run through that gap. Then I queued up Fritz to take the handoff and ran it downfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockdown is great for slowing down those corner blitzes and for harassing pursuers downfield on offense. It can also be used with another player on an adjustment to keep a wide receiver from getting downfield, and this type of adjustment is a fantastic way to frustrate a receiver trying to get open with Shake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrewmonkeySF wrote:
Shake has become one of my favorite skills. Fritz-Gerald-shake-on-a-defensive-lineman/full-activation-with-Plumber/pass-to-Gerald/full-activation-with-Gerald-for-a-big-gain combo can be deadly if executed correctly. Then queuing up Fritz again for even more yards is the icing on the cake. I've also used this combo with the Lumberjacks and Jack-o-Lanterns. I've yet to play with the Omegas.

BOOM! That's textbook Shake-N-Bake right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malphas Z
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
voodooink wrote:
Lockdown is great for slowing down those corner blitzes and for harassing pursuers downfield on offense. It can also be used with another player on an adjustment to keep a wide receiver from getting downfield, and this type of adjustment is a fantastic way to frustrate a receiver trying to get open with Shake.

Indeed, I'm trying to design a CFL team build around Lockdown. Will make for an interesting team on offense and defense. I'm thinking 40 Block +1, 50 Lockdown, 60 Lockdown, 55 Screen Passer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
moon rally
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
BrewmonkeySF wrote:

Shake can also be used for lead blocking. On one play I sent Fritz through a gap in the line from a TE/wing position and performed a successful shake on a D-lineman to activate Plumber to run through that gap. Then I queued up Fritz to take the handoff and ran it downfield.

This is exactly how I plan to use Nice next time I'm the Lumberjacks.

I'm also planning on using him as a lead blocker for sneaky runs. I can set him up out wide so it looks like he's going to run up the field then run him on a slant inside instead (I hear Nice is ok at the odd slant route ) and get him to Shake the outer most D-Lineman, who should be a 3 or a 4, that can seal off that edge and hopefully get a free activation for someone to scramble through the gap.

I can also set him up at TE just off the LoS and use him in a similar way, setting him up here will hopefully create some confusion too and keep the D guessing. In this position he'll only needs to run about 2 spaces to get the block and then he can run a post route down field if I know the Shake caused a free activation.

I think I like Shake more than Juke for exactly this kind of low risk (+3) utility.

I'm doing the rounds with various teams at the mo but I want to get back to the Lumberjacks asap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.