Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Matsuri compatible with deluxe edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Is there any issue with playing the Matsuri expansion with the deluxe edition of Tokaido? I know the deluxe edition contains it's own set of crossroads cards to match the new artwork design, but how does Matsuri fit into that? Is there a problem with the artwork (borders/backs/graphic design) matching?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb

Nope, the deluxe edition also comes with Matsuri (cards, tokens and characters) in the set, same as Crossroads. And probably a regular Matsuri expansion box is also fully compatible with it, bacuse cards have a very basic independent mechanic/use anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Wait, the deluxe retail edition comes with the Maturi expansion as well as Crossroads? I thought it only included Crossroads? I'm pretty sure it doesn't include Matsuri.

From passportgamestudios:

Will Tokaido: Matsuri fit in the same box as the base game and/or Tokaido Deluxe Edition?

Tokaido: Matsuri will not fit inside the box of the base game, but it will fit inside Tokaido Deluxe Edition – there’s even a space marked “Matsuri” for placing the Tokaido: Matsuri cards.

On Amazon the deluxe edition lists:

-Includes base game Tokaido
-Includes expansion Tokaido Crossroads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
Wait, the deluxe retail edition comes with the Maturi expansion as well as Crossroads? I thought it only included Crossroads? I'm pretty sure it doesn't include Matsuri.

Mmm well, I've the Kickstarter edition. But if that's the case with the retail one, I tell you that a regular Matsuri expansion box will work fine, because the use of its cards is so independent of the core base mechanics that will not break the Deluxe experience (Matsuri cards don't work as the Crossroads ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Okay, that's good to know. I was looking at the New Encounters cards and they don't seem to match the Deluxe artwork, so they don't integrate well with the deluxe edition encounter cards. Glad to hear that Matsuri doesn't have that problem.

I just looked it up and the Collector's edition comes with the Matsuri but not the retail deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
From passportgamestudios:

Will Tokaido: Matsuri fit in the same box as the base game and/or Tokaido Deluxe Edition?

Tokaido: Matsuri will not fit inside the box of the base game, but it will fit inside Tokaido Deluxe Edition – there’s even a space marked “Matsuri” for placing the Tokaido: Matsuri cards.

Of course, the base insert dont even allow the Crossroads components in it. It's not a component size issue, the insert is just not prepared for them.

rilos wrote:
On Amazon the deluxe edition lists:

-Includes base game Tokaido
-Includes expansion Tokaido Crossroads

Ok, I'm not sure of the Matsuri "non deluxe art", but for example if the cards have borders or anything "diferent" like that, it wouldn't be a problem. Even characters deluxe backs are also plain, so not problem with the "random choosing" (unless the size of them differ, ask for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I thought the textures of the character cards were changed for the deluxe editions? Smooth vs textured? Maybe that doesn't affect the backs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
I thought the textures of the character cards were changed for the deluxe editions? Smooth vs textured? Maybe that doesn't affect the backs?

Nope, no texture changed. The thing diferent is the background art on the characters sides, they're a bit more simple, more clean (same general change in some deluxe backgrounds components). Maybe the hole for the player color token is bigger? Because I sell my old regular edition before receiving the deluxe one, I couldn't compare them in more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unleashed Kraken
Germany
Gießen
Hessen
flag msg tools
Chango wrote:
rilos wrote:

Nope, no texture changed. The thing diferent is the background art on the characters sides, they're a bit more simple, more clean (same general change in some deluxe backgrounds components). Maybe the hole for the player color token is bigger? Because I sell my old regular edition before receiving the deluxe one, I couldn't compare them in more detail.

I got the deluxe edition and bought Matsuri. The box will go extra. But all cards fit in the box. The card back ist the same for each card type.
But you are right. Sad to say the player color tokens of the deluxe edition are smaller than the regular edition. I tried to contact the support twice. But they don't respond (way over a year since my first try)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.