Gordon
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't bought the character packs. We enjoy the base game as it is (and the packs seem kinda pricey for what you get).

But I'm really interested in the co-op campaign and I'm wondering if you can play it with just the base game or if you need the character packs as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think you will need the character packs. While they add to the game, I don't think they are necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, the character packs are necessary.

On the Dice Tower Origins Summer Preview Day 1 Morning video, they mention the campaign and that you will need character packs. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J-xieJKaFk&t=6707s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign missions will be balanced assuming that you have a character pack. As you play through the campaign, you will add better cards to the character pack. Without a character pack, the campaign is a bit pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign is designed around character packs. You could probably play without them but it would not be as enjoyable. You're welcome to try anyway but you'll be missing out on a good part of Hero Realms.

And yes, they should have been included in the campaign starter rather than released separately to lower costs. But people who would have wanted to use them for PvP would have complained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
The campaign is designed around character packs. You could probably play without them but it would not be as enjoyable. You're welcome to try anyway but you'll be missing out on a good part of Hero Realms.

I would guess that "not as enjoyable" is an understanding - I think that without the characters already the first mission will be extremely difficult (as the character packs make the players much more powerful) and the difficulty difference will increase as you won't be able to make good use of the upgrade cards when you level up without characters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
I would guess that "not as enjoyable" is an understanding - I think that without the characters already the first mission will be extremely difficult (as the character packs make the players much more powerful) and the difficulty difference will increase as you won't be able to make good use of the upgrade cards when you level up without characters...

I didn't print the PnP version we backers received to I can't tell you. Sadly I don't intend to either as I've too many games to play and PnPs to craft already. But maybe someone can try the first mission out with regular decks and say how it goes.

I can tell you though that playing versus Tibus with the base decks is awful, in my experience. With character packs it's a bit too easy unless you play the Wizard. Even when giving Tibus +20 health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
GrandKhan44 wrote:

I didn't print the PnP version we backers received to I can't tell you. Sadly I don't intend to either as I've too many games to play and PnPs to craft already. But maybe someone can try the first mission out with regular decks and say how it goes.

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I am a bit surprised that no one seems to have tried it, though (or bothered to write about it).

5 Geek Gold to whoever writes the first report about the PnP campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed it and played it. I'll compare my experiences playing against the Enthralled Regulars and Tibus, Guild Lord as these are the two ways I have played it Solo/Cooperatively.

I have found Tibus, Guild Lord to be beatable the majority of the time with generic starting decks. He is significantly more easily beatable using any of the character packs. In fact, I don't think I've ever lost to Tibus using the character packs. If you really want to keep Tibus a challenge, I recommend not using the character packs -- though they are fun to use .

My attempts to defeat the Enthralled Regulars with the various characters were met with varying degrees of success. I didn't always lose, but I have been beaten pretty badly. I have never tried going up against the Enthralled Regulars of the PnP campaign with just the generic starting hands. Frankly, I think it would be very difficult.

In the PnP there are a number of cards that would be useless to some degree without character packs. It includes 5 cards that replace starting Skills or Abilities of the characters -- these are the cards that start in play and are not part of your starting deck. They rework the wording and effects so they fit better with the campaign rules. These, I would think, are completely useless without the characters.

Then there are 4 treasure cards for each class that can be earned for defeating the master. For each character, two of these treasures are simply added to your deck, while 1 replaces a Gold in your deck and the 4th replaces one of the unique cards that comes in the character pack.

I would think the ones that are simply added and the ones that replace the Golds could still be used without any problems. You could probably even go ahead and use the ones that replace cards specific to the character pack -- just pick one of the generic cards to replace. I imagine you could you could randomly choose from any of the character's Treasure cards, or to be more thematic, you could limit yourself to the ones that go along with one specific class, i.e., imagine you are a generic adventurer but are training to become a Ranger.

There are also five Elixir treasures that are not specific to a class at all.

Perhaps to mitigate the difficulty of going up against the Enthralled Master you could go ahead and add the Campaign Ability and Skill cards to your generic starting cards -- this would make them slightly more competitive. Among the cards included in the PnP, there is a replacement ability for the Ranger, Fighter, Wizard, and Thief. There is a replacement skill for the Thief as well. The Cleric gets no love in this department.

Overall I did enjoy the campaign model provided in the PnP. Granted, you didn't get to move on to a second round so all the provided treasure cards couldn't really be put to the test, but I really enjoyed the mechanic of having to clear out threats specific to you before you could help out a neighbor or attack the master. Kept you more on the edge of your seat each turn hoping you wouldn't get hit with something that would keep you "pinned down."

Edited for some spelling and grammar mistakes -- I'm sure there are still some in there .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up and 5 shiny gold pieces as a reward as promised...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for covering this
Sad about the Cleric as he/she is my favorite character (I love healing abilities and the champions combo overkills).

Did the fight feel very random? I find Tibus to be pretty random and agree with characters making him too easy, even when giving him +20 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Sad about the Cleric as he/she is my favorite character (I love healing abilities and the champions combo overkills).

If you have the Cleric pack, you can still use his Skill and Ability. It's just that they didn't have to be rewritten for the changes in the campaign mode of play.

Razoupaf wrote:
Did the fight feel very random? I find Tibus to be pretty random and agree with characters making him too easy, even when giving him +20 HP.

It was random like Tibus in that each turn you flipped a card from the Master's deck and there was an effect determined by the color of the card. However, you never had to worry about that one big damage turn where Tibus flips 3 consecutive reds followed by the fourth color to complete the +15 attack effect. The effects, while still varied, didn't seem as swingy that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Character packs aside, is this otherwise a standalone expansion?

Or, to play this expansion, do you need a) the base game, b) this expansion, and c) one character pack per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not stand-alone as it contains only upgrade and item cards to improve your personal deck, master cards, and cards that constitute the master decks.

To play, you still need a trade deck and personal decks. So the base game is a minimum requirement, and one character pack per player is strongly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a little bit about this and I can't seem to find the answer. Is the expansion going to still be a deck builder? I assume so, but not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rpierce1892 wrote:
I've read a little bit about this and I can't seem to find the answer. Is the expansion going to still be a deck builder? I assume so, but not sure.

Yes. It is going to play similar to the existing Tibus, Guild Lord Promo, except that instead of taking from the market it will play cards from a special enemy deck that contains cards specifically balanced for co-op play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rpierce1892 wrote:

The expansion is not a deckbuilding game, it's AI decks to fight against and upgrade cards you put in your deck.
The base game is the deckbuilder and you'll play the base game against the campaign deck. Sort of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am guessing this will be a kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistergarner1 wrote:
I am guessing this will be a kickstarter?

It was funded as part of the original Hero Realms Kickstarter and will ship to backers in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.