Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Redford
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried playing the game solo? The Kickstarter lists 1-4 players, but all the coverage I've seen has featured at least 2 people. Does 1 player control all the sand timers? Or only use their 2 (plus the kitchen help extra timers)? It's clear that the game is more fun and thematic as a multiplayer experience, but I'm curious if it would work well as a solo experience, particularly since the play time is relatively short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vadorojo wrote:
Has anyone tried playing the game solo?
I have.
Quote:
Or only use their 2 (plus the kitchen help extra timers)?
Yes.
Quote:
It's clear that the game is more fun and thematic as a multiplayer experience, but I'm curious if it would work well as a solo experience, particularly since the play time is relatively short.

Well for me it was the case of all my friends being very enthusiastic, but quite bad at the game. Me on the other hand having played it a billion times could make things super fast and super efficient. So with other people, we played on easy, having a "nice fun laugh". With solo, I played on the highest possible difficulty challenging myself to do better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update, Vangelis tells me they did some further development on solo
(Sorry, I'm behind the curve a little bit)

Apparently I wasn't the only one to "master" the solo, so they decided to "up" the challenge a little bit. When you play solo, you play the rules almost identical to 2 player (so 4 hourglasses + helpers), but you control all 4+ sandtimers. To offset the added strain, and to make sure you could reach the same goals the 2p game is set out, the play time was increased to 5 minutes per round.

Personally, I can't wait to try out the new solo rules, I'm just too busy cooking designing fish recipes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Redford
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts! I thought it might be easier to master the challenge as a single player, but the proposed changes (and I imagine, the random elements of the events/expansions) would pose an engaging challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
To offset the added strain, and to make sure you could reach the same goals the 2p game is set out, the play time was increased to 5 minutes per round.

My rulebook says add 30 seconds to a total of 4:30 per round.

I'm diving in now. Will update how it went...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yorickh wrote:
TDaver wrote:
To offset the added strain, and to make sure you could reach the same goals the 2p game is set out, the play time was increased to 5 minutes per round.

My rulebook says add 30 seconds to a total of 4:30 per round.

I'm diving in now. Will update how it went...

Yes, and my post you quoted was from June. In june it was 5 minutes. Now it's 4'30""
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yorick Heijink
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... either I need help or I did something wrong.

As I understand I use 2 sets of timers plus a helper as per usual setup. That means I pay 15 every round. I could make that money with 3 blue plates but 3 yellow didn't cut it. All was served with tip.

Let's just say the basic easy goal is still far out of reach.

Any tips for how to do better? What's an average/minimum number of orders to go for each round? Prioritize upgrades?
Effective shopping? David? Help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You use 4 hourglasses when you play solo, not 5. That means you would have to pay 3 less as wages every round (but you would slso have fewer workers).

Regarding the difficulty, I think I've written some tips in another thread recently. Try to prepare more than one order at the same time, having made sure beforehand that the storage/spices are sufficiently stocked. This way your Storage and Spices actions will be much more effective (with a single action you will be able to prepare 2 or 3 dishes at once).

Good luck in your next game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik
Belgium
Kruishoutem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same experience, kind of.

The money goal is hard, even on easy. A dish worth 4 or 5 coins costs 2 or 3 coins for the ingredients and spices. So you need about three orders per player to cover for the workers, and then you still need a profit.

Not saying it isn't balanced, but on easy this is still quite a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is were the replayability comes in. You try until you succeed, once you succeed up your difficult and later add events.

Clever design.
Saw on other thread that play testers became very efficient that hard objectives became easier due to which very hard was introduced..

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.