Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Looking for a semi-coop experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want to know if there are some good semi-coop variants out there... I've seen some in this same forum but I would like to know if there is one which maintains the basic idea / feeling of the game while avoiding being full coop.

I thought about dividing the investigators in different teams and make them compete and coop at the same time to be the ones who avoid awakening the horror. I don't know how would it fit thematically, it would not be lovecraftian (probably) but maybe just a race for prestige between two investigation groups or something like that...

Second option might be giving secret objectives to the investigators but I just don't know how it would end up or where to start.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Alfredsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way is to have 2 teams with equal amounts of investigatora in each and then handing anycompleted mystery to the investigator that finished that mystery. Ie put tyw final token on the card, item or monster or whatever is asked for. The team with most mysteries if the game is won... wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if each team had a different mystery to solve? Any use of investigator count would be halved, so with 2v2 the investigators are solving mysteries as if there are 2 investigators total.

If either team completes three mysteries before the AO awakens, they win. If the AO awakens, each team advances on the final mystery independently (if it involves an epic monster, the epic monster has a separate health pool for each team)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
That would be fine, but I think the difficulty should be lowered because the players are both playing against themselves and the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Something like this is what I had in mind... I guess we should try and see. But what if there were more than two teams? 2vs2v2? hmm...

I guess this should be tested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a team based game, you could just award a team points for various criteria -
Advancing the active mystery
Resolving a rumor
Closing a gate

Any other action is inherently working towards one of those goals (resolving other encounter types gives you clues, artifacts, and assets to help with the above, so no need to reward them with points)

Mysteries that require you to have a specific artifact are problematic (only one team will have the artifact...) and deciding lead investigator could be a problem especially since some mythos effects harm the lead investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
MasterDinadan wrote:
What if each team had a different mystery to solve? Any use of investigator count would be halved, so with 2v2 the investigators are solving mysteries as if there are 2 investigators total.

If either team completes three mysteries before the AO awakens, they win. If the AO awakens, each team advances on the final mystery independently (if it involves an epic monster, the epic monster has a separate health pool for each team)

I quite like this one. Having the heroes work on the same mystery would be difficult, as if you only give points for PASSING the mystery, all the work leading up to it would be moot (say I knock all but one health off Hydra, then you ping the last one). Each having your own mystery would probably play smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.