Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, summer in NYC is hitting and humidity is starting to ratchet up. I have read about the damage that this can cause on games and I wanted to find some solutions for dealing with it. I store my games, about 40 total, on a bookshelf in my living room. There is no direct sunlight in the room but it can get really hot during a heat wave.

Is it just normal humidity that I have to worry about or does it take some unholy level of satan-induced humidity to really affect the cardboard? devil

I have been painting my Imperial Assault mini's all winter. I usually finish them with varnish or lacquer, but do I need to worry about humidity affecting the paint job? zombie

Any advice or quick tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't stress about it but if you are that worried put silica gel packets in the games to absorb the moisture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
+1 to the gel packets. A few years ago, I found my copy of Catan completely warped. None of my other games were affected but I'm not taking any chances. If there are a bunch of cardboard pieces, I now throw one in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple1 wrote:
I wouldn't stress about it but if you are that worried put silica gel packets in the games to absorb the moisture.

And at the end of the summer you can eat them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where the hell do I get silica gel packets? And also, are they tasty? wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebay is a good place to look, I got a ton real cheap there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 200 packets on Amazon for less than $25.00, with free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:
Where the hell do I get silica gel packets? And also, are they tasty?
You'll probably never taste anything better... mostly because you'll likely die and never taste anything ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:

Any hardware store. They might call it desiccant bags. Exact same stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:
Summer is coming... will my games survive?
No... nothing will survive when the whitewalkers come. Waiitttt... sorry wrong season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
kayEFjay wrote:
Summer is coming... will my games survive?
No... nothing will survive when the whitewalkers come. Waiitttt... sorry wrong season.

Yeah, they probably never have these kind of issues on the wall. Lucky bastards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never had heat or humidity affect my games and I frequently leave them in my car in the heat in Atlanta GA so I would think your apartment would be fine unless you live in some sort of sweat box. In which case you will give out before your games do.

Extreme heat can affect miniatures especially resin ones but again I would bet you would be passing out from heat stroke before your mini's warp.

I had some resin GW mini's that swords all got droppy. It was actually quite amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:
You'll find one or two in every bottle of vitamins or pills.

Pete (gets most of his from that source)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
kayEFjay wrote:
Where the hell do I get silica gel packets? And also, are they tasty?
You'll probably never taste anything better... mostly because you'll likely die and never taste anything ever again.
Silica gel is nontoxic.

Pete (thinks "do not eat" is present because silica packs often ship with food, pills, and vitamins)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I leave some games in the trunk of my car all summer long. I've yet to notice any negative effects to the cardboard. I also have a painted PVC mini (Reaper Bones) attached to my dashboard with poster tack. It's sat there on many 90-100 degree days over the past 3 1/3 years with no damage to the mini, paint, or poster tack. I doubt the heat and humidity in your living room are anything compared to a car parked in the sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Meeple1 wrote:

And at the end of the summer you can eat them!
It is probably not good to joke about that. Also, the silica gel packs are really bad if pets get ah old of them. It can easily hurt them badly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Chill out. They are games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Motley Reynolds
msg tools
What about playing games in a cottage that is right on the beach, like in north or south carolina where the doors and windows are left open most of the time with the salty humid breeze blowing through? Has anyone had an issue with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets over 80% humidity and about 100F where I live in summer, and my games have been fine so far. I started buying about 10 years ago, I guess. I keep meaning to use some silica gel packs, but I always forget.

The boxes seem to die soon, but I'm not sure if that's because of me carrying them to meetups or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you have AC? That will remove most humidity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Velez
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordZon wrote:
Don't you have AC? That will remove most humidity.

Haven't used air conditioning in 3 years! Global warming can suck it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
kayEFjay wrote:
So, summer in NYC is hitting and humidity is starting to ratchet up. I have read about the damage that this can cause on games and I wanted to find some solutions for dealing with it. I store my games, about 40 total, on a bookshelf in my living room. There is no direct sunlight in the room but it can get really hot during a heat wave.

Is it just normal humidity that I have to worry about or does it take some unholy level of satan-induced humidity to really affect the cardboard? :devil:

I have been painting my Imperial Assault mini's all winter. I usually finish them with varnish or lacquer, but do I need to worry about humidity affecting the paint job? :zombie:

Any advice or quick tips would be greatly appreciated! ;)

I've lived in NY for almost my whole life. Some of my games have been around for 20+ years. I do use AC but only when we're home, so there are many hours and sometimes weeks (vacations) where the AC is not on the humidity is unmoderated.

The games remain fine.

I mean, it's bad here, but it's not Florida bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as the games can "breathe" they should be fine. I'd only be worried if you start to see signs of moisture collection, like you might see in a bathroom or a kitchen. (Note: Do not store games with paper-based components in bathrooms or kitchens, unless those rooms aren't used as bathrooms or kitchens)

Desiccants packs are a great idea. Never throw them away. If you need more buy in bulk:
https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Cotton-Silica-Packet-Pack/d...

There are also a ton of listings on eBay, and generally much cheaper, in various sizes, some from China, some (supposedly) from the US.

Silica itself is non-toxic. The "Do not eat" is on the packs because they are a choking hazard. Not sure how that printed warning is supposed to help toddlers, but what can you do.

And you never know, there may be more than silica in any given pack. Not being a food item, there ingredients are listed, so I'd take the "Do not eat" suggestion at its word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.