Popular Tags: [View All]
Iain Mabbott
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has played Championship Formula Racing and Race Formula 90?

I *LOVE* RF90, it really captures the essence of racing for me, I've had many exciting races playing the game.

How does CFR compare? I understand the mechanics of the game, and it definitely looks good, but it's difficult to evaluate the excitement and atmosphere that the game generates.

Any thoughts on how they compare?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RF 90 feels more abstract to me, about managing a race, while CFR is more focused on the mechanics of driving a formula one racing car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
RF90 is a more strategic game, while DFR is definitely tactical in nature.

I was a huge gan of RF90 - and I still do like the game - but I prefer CFR because it makes me feel like I have more input into what's going on. The cards can hurt you in RF90, and that's one thing I don't really care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an RF90 fan too. I want to like CFR, but the drab track graphics, botched release and lack of communication from the publisher (I still don't know how to get all the tracks and historical drivers) have kept me from getting a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
I own both.
RF90 is not easy to understand, specially the rules about robots...

I think RF90 is more modern, but still needs simplifications about the rules on robots.

With young players, CFR is best for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Mabbott
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
I'm an RF90 fan too. I want to like CFR, but the drab track graphics, botched release and lack of communication from the publisher (I still don't know how to get all the tracks and historical drivers) have kept me from getting a copy.

I agree that communication from the publisher is bad, but I disagree about the track graphics. The graphics are practical, not drab. I have the game and I'm glad I acquired it. Any fan of racing games is missing out if they don't have this one. I wouldn't let the actions of the publisher dissuade me from having CFR as it is a very good racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
art1066 wrote:
I agree that communication from the publisher is bad, but I disagree about the track graphics. The graphics are practical, not drab. I have the game and I'm glad I acquired it. Any fan of racing games is missing out if they don't have this one. I wouldn't let the actions of the publisher dissuade me from having CFR as it is a very good racing game.

I concur. If the track art was any busier, then it would likely make it harder to reference the historical driver notations, and the historical drivers were the big selling point of CFR for me.

The communications from Ultra Pro have left more than a little to be desired, and I'd feel a bit sawn off if I purchased the game thinking I could play it solo only to discover that half the required components for solo play weren't included and would presumably be available in an unannounced expansion at some nebulous time in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
I'd feel a bit sawn off if I purchased the game thinking I could play it solo only to discover that half the required components for solo play weren't included and would presumably be available in an unannounced expansion at some nebulous time in the future.

Yep, that'd be me......... surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, from the photos it looks to me like you're racing on a blueprint - more Tron than F1. Maybe it looks better in person.

So I was just about to order it anyway, until reading that part about the missing solo stuff. So it's not soloable in its current form?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
I dunno, from the photos it looks to me like you're racing on a blueprint - more Tron than F1. Maybe it looks better in person.

So I was just about to order it anyway, until reading that part about the missing solo stuff. So it's not soloable in its current form?

Every copy of the game seems to include some Historical Drivers. It is Historical drivers that provide the solo function with the game. What is difficult to determine is if all the current retail stock includes 8 drivers or if some stock has only 4 drivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:

Not sure which photos you saw Bill. The commercial tracks have a green background, black track and the HD codes on the side. I'd agree they look very nice with no distractions. Numerous additional tracks are available on the web, and they are bare bones grid of the track (which might be considered a plus in that you don't have to pay much for ink to print them yourself).

As best I can tell, and I'm one of many who think Ultra-Pro could do a better job describing their product, you CAN play the game solo out of the box. I believe you'll get 4 Historical Drivers (appears to be random which ones), 5 Strategy Cards (double-sided, so 10 strategies) and the rules are included in the rulebook. So no expansion necessary.

I wish there was a more polished marketing effort from UP (hell, I wish they were doing anything) but I believe the game is so great it's worth jumping in, even if you ultimately have to do a little PnP to add additional tracks to the 4 in the box, provide your own cars, etc. This is one case where the game is better than the support, don't miss out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:

In order to play the game solo, you need historical drivers and strategy cards for them to follow. Without the strategy cards, the historical drivers don't have a decision making tree to follow to determine their actions and how they spend skill and wear.

The contents of the base game available at retail do not state that strategy cards are included. There are definitely some copies of the game for sale that are configured as per the retailers kickstarter exclusive, which have strategy cards, two double sided track boards, 8 car decks and 12 cars. The retailers that I have seen selling these DO generallty state that the strategy cards are included. The whole thing is a big mess, not helped by the fact that Ultra Pro / Jolly Roger appear to have used a single SKU for multiple versions of the product.

I wouldn't be confident of getting the strategy cards unless my retailer of choice explicitly said that they were included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rosie_187 wrote:
spindoc wrote:

In order to play the game solo, you need historical drivers and strategy cards for them to follow. Without the strategy cards, the historical drivers don't have a decision making tree to follow to determine their actions and how they spend skill and wear.

The contents of the base game available at retail do not state that strategy cards are included. There are definitely some copies of the game for sale that are configured as per the retailers kickstarter exclusive, which have strategy cards, two double sided track boards, 8 car decks and 12 cars. The retailers that I have seen selling these DO generallty state that the strategy cards are included. The whole thing is a big mess, not helped by the fact that Ultra Pro / Jolly Roger appear to have used a single SKU for multiple versions of the product.

I wouldn't be confident of getting the strategy cards unless my retailer of choice explicitly said that they were included.

Then, I guess I lucked out. My copy included strategy cards, four driver cards, eight driver decks, and four tracks on two double-sided boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
art1066 wrote:
rosie_187 wrote:
spindoc wrote:

Then, I guess I lucked out. My copy included strategy cards, four driver cards, eight driver decks, and four tracks on two double-sided boards.

You and I both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.