50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why do you like to play board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jcgonzmo 84
msg tools
Specially considering that you can pick up and play a video game without going through the trouble of learning the rules, setting and picking up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the same reason why you enjoy posting mundane questions on board game forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Enter something witty here
badge
These aren't really my legs
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:
Specially considering that you can pick up and play a video game without going through the trouble of learning the rules, setting and picking up the game.

I'll counter this silly topic by saying I definitely had to learn the rules to Dark Souls when I started playing. In fact, I had to learn the rules and conditions of the game so much that I quit the game for 1-2 years before returning.

If it's a game, you're learning the rules, board game or video game. It still applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on whether the game is solitaire, one-on-one, or multi-player.

(A) In a solitaire game I enjoy the mental challenge of figuring out the system and finding a way to master it. This is different from a computer/video game because in a board game the mechanics are transparent, so I can more easily understand the way the game works, while in a computer/video the mechanics are all handled "behind the curtain."

(B) In a one-on-one game I enjoy both the social inter-action with my opponent, the contest of discovering an effective strategy to beat him, and finally the ability to have a post-game discussion to better understand our different approaches towards the game. A computer/video game completely lacks the social inter-action aspect, and while there may be a degree of finding a strategy to defeat the AI there's again a lack of follow-up discussion after the game to understand how and why the AI did what it did.

(C) In a multi-player game the social inter-action is the chief appeal, and again that's something a computer/video game can't provide (even in an online setting against a "real" opponent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know.

Pete (is OK with that and feels no need to investigate further)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I came up with (when I preparing a presentation on boardgaming) is from the book "Flow – The Psychology of Optimal Experience" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. A rough definition of Flow is similar to 'Being in the Zone'.

From the book:

What is an Optimal Experience? - A sense that one’s skills are adequate to cope with the challenges at hand, in a goal-oriented, rule-bound action system that provides clear clues as to how well one is performing.

The best moments usually occur when a person’s body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile.

I like boardgaming because I feel like I'm in the Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

That's actually it right there for me. When I play a boardgame, I am part of the game, enforcing the rules and involved in every part of it. With a video game, I feel like a spectator as things just happen. Might as well just watch TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
(1) I find board games to be more social generally - some video games are social too.
(2) I like puzzles and figuring out things (yes you can do that in video games too).
(3) I like the tactile feel.
(4) I feel more immersion. When I am playing as a alien race in Cosmic Encounter or Twilight Imperium, I feel like that alien race whereas in many of the RTS games I have played, I still feel like I am playing a game.
(5) Nostalgia - I grew up playing board games. When I was a child video games were very popular but no where near as popular as today. Every week it seems like a new awesome video game is dropping. As a child after you beat a video game you had to wait several months before a AAA title was dropped so board games were awesome at filling that void.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

People. I like people. I like looking them in the eye, not the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a long time (and current) computer gamer who is just getting into board games the main difference is that video games are ephemeral. They play quickly, are easy to quit and start over if you're doing poorly, and only a surface understanding of the rules are necessary to play. All that leads to a shallow sense of enjoyment/satisfaction for me.

Contrast to board games that not only require enough effort to learn, set up and play that they give a deeper and more satisfying experience but they also encourage a more complete play-through of the game as, due to set up and investment time, I'm more likely to play out a sub-optimal situation vs. simply restarting.

Add to that the fact that video game studios aren't making many of the kind of strategy games that I enjoy anymore while strategy games seem like a growing staple of board gaming and board gaming is any easy winner for me right now.

(You could also say "Why read books when TV and movies exist". Both offer different experiences.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because engaging with other humans directly is good thumbsup

Mental exercise thumbsup

Stress relief thumbsup

Fun thumbsup

Meeting new people thumbsup

Learning and finding new games to enjoy thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is stimulating and rewarding to be confronted with conflicts/problems that are right at the level of my ability to successfully resolve them. In front of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

Hi, my name is tutorial and I'm here to ruin your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good games are fun. Good game playing is more fun than good game watching (ie. watching a football game). The thrill of victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes video games can be quite taxing. Too much audio-visual stimuli may cause fatigue faster than many board games.

Also take into consideration that many people(myself included) have jobs that have them seated in front of the computer screen. so board games will alleviate work-related stress, as you relax in an environment which differs greatly from the work setting.

Of course, I love video games too. Hearthstone is a perpetual favorite of mine, and I'm really engrossed in Persona 5 right now (totally brilliant game).

But I'll usually tire of a video game faster than a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
jcgonzmo wrote:

Hi, my name is tutorial and I'm here to ruin your day.

Reminds me of the "tutorial" in farcry blood dragon lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fascinated by (good) algorithm design and how simple rules and bits can represent complex interactions.

I also appreciate the occasionally brilliant solutions for presenting information visually and tangibly.

Lastly, boardgames are so easy to hack and mod! Alter rules, replace or upgrade bits, make new board, maps, modules, scenarios. It's real world creativity and craftsmanship, that can call on a wealth of disciplines and incorporate just about any material and process as needed.

I say all this as a trained digital graphic artist. Using the power of digital tools to creating lasting real world objects and systems is far more rewarding than staying in the digital world.

Even if it does junk up the place a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
Because engaging with other humans directly is good thumbsup

Mental exercise thumbsup

Stress relief thumbsup

Fun thumbsup

Meeting new people thumbsup

Learning and finding new games to enjoy thumbsup

Alright its playing with all those cool little bits, I admit it.

Played Imhotep last night. Ohhh how I adore those large wooden blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and of course, the tactile and social aspects, which video games can't provide as much as board games.

Certainly, not the tactile aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I love all forms of gaming.

The main reason I got so into board gaming was for the social and puzzle-solving aspect of them. I also found I enjoy collecting and displaying all the gorgeous artwork in my home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Games | Video Games
1) Plays 4,5,6,7 or more people in the same location very easily | Unless playing online, video games aren't that great playing multiple players in one spot
2) Board games don't get unusable (not counting physical wear) | Oh yeah, you'd need the latest nVidia GTX Titan or higher to run that.
3) Low on dexterity, high on thought, strategy | Relies heavily on key smashing, dexterity, reflexes and just good joystick skills
4) You can replay the game over and over - are not story dependent | Once you finish the entire story and you know how things play out, the interest fades away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jcgonzmo wrote:

One of my main complaints with video games is that I don't know the details of how/why things happen. I want precise and specific numbers, not vague probabilities. With tabletop games the game can be known precisely, before playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
jcgonzmo wrote:

One of my main complaints with video games is that I don't know the details of how/why things happen. I want precise and specific numbers, not vague probabilities. With tabletop games the game can be known precisely, before playing.
One of my main sources of entertainment in video games is discovering the details of how/why things happen. After repeated plays, I can get fairly specific values, not merely vague probabilities. Eventually every program is "known precisely," but when that happens, I usually stop playing.

Pete (knows people who don't enjoy playing UNTIL they hit that level of understanding, but that's usually when he's done with a program)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Fox
New Zealand
Titirangi
Auckland
flag msg tools
mb
Funny thing is, when I launch a video game, it often requires a large patch to be downloaded and installed before proceeding, somewhat diluting the whole instant play aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
jcgonzmo wrote:

I enjoy learning rules and setting up the game. If not as much fun, putting away a game can be relaxing.

I also like video games. Do I have to choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.