Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean (and Tom), had another great gaming session with two very close games of Killiecrankie. Now that I have the rules down better, the games flowed really well, and were both very close and action-packed.

A couple questions came up (and only a couple is good for us).

1. My line infantry unit attacked a highlander using fire combat, eliminating him, but also rolling a Zero. This requires a retreat by the firing unit, but doesn't make a lot of sense when the defender is killed. If an attacking (active) unit may advance after fire combat that eliminates a defender, but must also retreat by the optional rule, it is kind of strange. We played it that the attacker just had to hold his position. Kind of an advance followed by a retreat, so the attacker ends up in the same place. Just wondering if we did it correctly, or if there is a better way (that maybe needs to find its way into updated rules). One idea: redo the optional rule to include that retreats in fire combat are cancelled by elimination of the enemy unit. Comments?

2. There was one point in the game where my Elite Infantry unit attacked a Highlander using Fire Combat and eliminated him but again was forced to retreat by another pesky Zero. In this case I did not wish to advance into the defender's vacated hex, but my opponent felt that I should retreat (this time the two results did not "cancel" each other), and I agreed. That is how the rules read. However, with the Highlander gone, I chose to "retreat" in a forward direction to lock another Highlander in an unfavorable position. (Locked in Combat optional rule) Obviously, I was willing to take the chance on a failed morale check and a lost MP to do this (in fact, that's what happened as the Elite Infantry subsequently rolled a 6). My opponent was surprised that I could choose to retreat adjacent to an enemy unit when safer options existed, but agreed that is how the rules read. He agreed it was a good move in return for me asking you if it is your intent that such a move be legal. Did I play this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I see this as the unit making an error due to a drunk commander or the fog of war or getting an incorrect message. I see your point, but i am sticking to the 0 causing a retreat.

2. You played it correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sean.

We will play the zeroes your way, unless you change the rule at a later time (and then, I suppose we will still play it your way, just your new way ).

Making sure I understand: the possibility of advancing into the eliminated defender's hex is gone due to the Zero(s) and the attacking unit must retreat one hex maintaining facing and formation.

I like that commanders in this game can make mistakes that the player (as Commander-in-Chief) can be left scratching his head over.

Maybe you should mention that "fog of war" in the living rules somewhere in the introduction (and take credit for it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
gdnuke wrote:
Making sure I understand: the possibility of advancing into the eliminated defender's hex is gone due to the Zero(s) and the attacking unit must retreat one hex maintaining facing and formation.

Yes. I think Calusewitz and Mike Tyson would appreciate this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.