Subject: First Attempt with game solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wild
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not meant to be played solo and I would not recommend it for solo. I played solo to just learn the rules and see how it moves.

I decided to let German win as it is best to set a plan when playing solo in a game that is not really solo. I attacked the South Atlantic while the Allies protected the north. I also decided to do a slug-vest in the Mediterranean. Just Italy versus a pile of battleships and after a bit some aircraft carriers too. Italy sank a lot of ships at first and then the Allies got their revenge.

The game is fast paced and the Allies do not have enough ships to protect everything. So Axis can pick the weak points. I had the North Sea once.

I am not sure I am doing the disable rules right. I seem to end battle after battle with everything disabled. Unlike most times I am rolling sixes and ones all the time.

I am going to re-read the rules and hope some how-to-play videos show up soon.

So far I like the fast action. I hate putting stickers on blocks, but now that is done. So next play will be more interesting. Maybe I can find a human to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate on why you think it plays poorly solo? The BGG listing for Pacific and Atlantic say 1-2 players. I am contemplating on whether I am going to get these and solo play will be a big factor in that. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wild
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my feeling is that there are no solo rules or mechanics and this then makes this a non-solo game. You have to play both sides as a full player and I did. There is then no hidden plans and no surprises. In contrast, with a game like Scythe, which I also did the Kickstarter for, there are rules that allow for a solo game using the "machine." I think one could develop some cards to control the Allies and make it a solo game.

As for my play, I picked Axis because it had fewer pieces to move and so I tried to make the Allies more automatic. I then had the Axis take advantage of weaknesses on the Allies side. This was interesting and I enjoyed getting Bismark and Tirpitz with Graf Zepplin in the South Atlantic. I also added in all the U-boats and air too. I "forced" the Allies to defend the North Atlantic and the North Sea--The Hood and Prince of Wales and cruisers looking for Bismark in the North. It was an interesting battle with the Bismark getting damaged and out for a turn, but the two battleships and the CV with U-boats and air smashed the Allies. So yes that was fun.

So if you are interested in playing with just yourself and are willing to pick a side, it is rather fun to crush the other side. So not a bad one-person play I think. Gameplay is quick and "corrections" easy to make with one person. So, yes, it could be fun to play against oneself--I think it would be more fun with two.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wild
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did re-read the rules and then re-thought my play. I did not play the loss of the North Sea control for the Allies right. The Axis control of the North Sea should have forced Scapa Flow based ships to just head into the North Sea instead, I let the port pass-thru the Axis controlled the North Sea. I also did not understand that once I had South Atlantic in Axis control I could reach the USA coastline and cause havoc. Sending in the Bismark, Tirpitz and Graf Zepplin to the USA would have been fun.

I will have to try again and see how it goes now and watch the movement of ship better and see if I get more breakouts with the Axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get around that to do solo play but certainly understand your sentiment on the limitation here. Thanks for describing your perspective and your play.

For me, part of playing both sides involves multiple options strategically and tactically. The map is so small with so few zones that maneuver seems quite limited. That might be a deal breaker for me regarding solo play. I'll keep an eye out for more comments and reviews as I consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.