6 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to best teach: Captain Sonar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Planning to teach a new group and haven't played myself. What are your tips to teach this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print the player aids for each role and tape them onto the screen. If you are German, use the ones I specifically made for this purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moody
United States
Grand Rapids
US-MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely play turn-by-turn so first time players aren't overwhelmed, learn the rules & can ask questions. This is a house rule with me whenever there are first timers playing. Play turn-by-turn 2 or 3 times until everyone is familiar enough with the game's mechanics to hazard real time play.

Then chuck them into the deep end. Works every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While turn-by-turn is easier to learn, I never play it that way (even with new players). I believe this game only works in the (somewhat chaotic) real-time mode; a player that is afraid of a little sink-or-swim introduction (I usually let them play the radio op) probably won't enjoy the game, anyway.

Of course, that's just an opinion. For us, it works, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
msg tools
With 6 to 8 players I usually teach it by first doing one or two games without Silence but still real-time. This usually makes the games pretty short(15 min) and makes it an easier job for beginner radio operators.

After one or two short games that way people seem to get it. Then we start doing full games with silence.

I find this to be a faster way to get into the full real-time Captain Sonar experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.