Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Dominoes - I have a set of 28 dominoes that go up to 6. Rather than rolling dice, pick a domino. Each one has 2 values. Use either value or use both on a single card if able.

2. Cards - Rather than rolling dice, use cards. To make the card play a bit more interesting than just drawing a card, introduce the deck building mechanic along with the numbered cards ranging from 1 to 6.

3. Not a dice alternative, but use other dice to reassign dice values to cards. As this can greatly unbalance things, only up to 1 card should be reassigned per player.

4. Fudge dice (+, -, _) to adjust dice rolls.

5. Backup skill. Costs 2x the number of dice to activate, but doesn't matter what the dice values are.

These are just ideas and need play testing. I have played with Fudge dice and found they do help just a touch.

* UPDATE
I haven't played this game for a good long while now. I do recall that I had some very fond memories of it.

I cracked open the box the other day and found a bunch of other dice that I integrated into the game the last time I played. I recall that it was success in that I had a lot of fun even though I lost terribly; however, I'd like to revert back to just the components that came with the game and as such have decided an elegant approach to mitigating poor dice rolls.

Each face on a D6 has a 7's complement on the other side. So when you roll a 6, the other side is a 1, if you roll a 3 the other side is a 4 and so on.

The variant ruling is you are always allowed to flip a die to it's 7's complement side. This should drastically reduce the amount of rolling that needs to be done and greatly reduce the amount of luck needed in order to succeed. This change could improve the odds too much, so one of the re-rolls is taken away when playing with this variant.

I still like the notion of getting some type of benefit from unused dice, perhaps not instantaneous but as something that builds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use one extra die. Then when assigning dice to cards I make sure that one die is not assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tazbro wrote:
I use one extra die. Then when assigning dice to cards I make sure that one die is not assigned.

A very elegant solution that doesn't require additional components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
It does help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have a bunch of nonstandard D6s, I will be trying a variant of choosing which D6s to roll. This way if you want to roll a specific value, you can roll a particular die rather than a standard D6. I am also considering changing the heroism roll from a 6 to a 2 as the number 2 is greatly under-represented while 6 is quite common. Another idea that I am toying with and will have to play test is the possibility of using a third number to allow a player to choose either shield or heroism. Rather than setting it in stone, perhaps allow each player to determine what values do what prior to play and make it dynamic so that it can be changed as the character levels.

Another idea for mitigating dice rolls is allowing players to trade dice values with one another. So if I rolled a 5 which I don't need and another player rolled a 4 which he doesn't need, we can switch dice values to help one another.

If playing solo then pool and roll for all the characters at once and assign dice from pooled dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.