Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

if a hero is Engaged with multiple enemies then...

A) does disengaging require a separate disengage check against all of them, or a single disengage test?

B) in which direction does the hero move afterwards? (Presumably directly away from the enemy against which the disengage test succeeded.)

:-?

Edit:

1) how does engagement interact with flying? Can flying units engage or become engaged (by other flying units)?

2) can units with a skill/equipment/spell which allows them to move diagonally move diagonally when disengaging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Engaged with multiple enemies
sgbeal wrote:
Hi, all,

A) does disengaging require a separate disengage check against all of them, or a single disengage test?

B) in which direction does the hero move afterwards? (Presumably directly away from the enemy against which the disengage test succeeded.)

Great question! I can't believe this hasn't even come up in any of my games yet!

We'll know for sure when Luca answers this, but in the mean time I'll share my thoughts, tying together the rules that I do know! It'll be interesting to see if I'm close to the right answer!

A. I think it's still only 1 disengage test, but the fact that you are engaged with multiple enemies limits where you will go, which leads to...

B. When you disengage from an enemy, as you know, you can move 1 square for free. However, this would have to be into an empty square (or one that contains a friendly figure provided that you still have enough AP to move past him/her) that is orthogonal relative to your current position. What this means ultimately is that if you are completely boxed in (by any combination of enemies or scenic elements that block movement) in all 4 orthogonal directions relative to your current position, you can not even attempt to disengage!

Crazy huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
B. When you disengage from an enemy, as you know, you can move 1 square for free. However, this would have to be an empty square (or one that contains a friendly figure provided that you still have enough AP to move past him/her) that is orthogonal relative to your current position.

The rulebook says that you have to move "forward" when disengaging:

Quote:
The action is considered successful with a result of 4+ after a dice roll; if successful, the hero moves forward one square for free.

but "forward" has no meaning a game without unit facings, so i interpret "forward" as "directly away from the engaging enemy". If that really is the case (and i'm not certain that it is) then my guess is that you can choose which of the enemies you want to try to disengage from, and move directly away from that one.

industrialchild wrote:
What this means ultimately is that if you are completely boxed in (by any combination of enemies or scenic elements that block movement) in all 4 orthogonal directions relative to your current position, you can not even attempt to disengage!

There is a corner case there with (A) flying units (presumably these cannot become Engaged, except maybe by other flyers) and (B) units which can move diagonally (i read a mention of such an ability, but don't remember where). Point (A) reminds me that i need to go update the errata thread for that case :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! This is definitely a question for LMS.

Edit: Well, I can't find anything in the rules for diagonal movement, so I'm assuming that you probably saw that on a card (equipment, skill, fourmulae, etc.) that allows for that.

I did see Fly in the Positive Status Tokens section though. Yeah, if you had that Fly skill, you would never have to worry about disengaging (except maybe from other flyers like you said).

Really interesting stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hi, all,

You have to do only one test but with all the midifiers of the case

Yes directly away from the enemy/enemies you are disengaging

Edit:

1) how does engagement interact with flying? Can flying units engage or become engaged (by other flying units)?

No, flying unit are never considered enganged.

2) can units with a skill/equipment/spell which allows them to move diagonally move diagonally when disengaging?

Yes!

I hope this can help

Luca LMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludus Magnus Studio wrote:

Hello Luca, I think I understand what you mean by this. Just to make sure though, I would like to try to clarify this.

Do you mean that:

Disengaging from 1 enemy: (Difficulty: 4+)
Disengaging from 2 enemies: (Difficulty: 5+)
Disengaging from 3 enemies: (Difficulty: 6+)
Disengaging from 4 enemies: (Difficulty: 7+ and only if you have something that let's you move diagonally)

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bernardini
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
industrialchild wrote:
Ludus Magnus Studio wrote:

Hello Luca, I think I understand what you mean by this. Just to make sure though, I would like to try to clarify this.

Do you mean that:

Disengaging from 1 enemy: (Difficulty: 4+)
Disengaging from 2 enemies: (Difficulty: 5+)
Disengaging from 3 enemies: (Difficulty: 6+)
Disengaging from 4 enemies: (Difficulty: 7+ and only if you have something that let's you move diagonally)

?

Perfect!

Luca LMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.