4 Posts

Friday» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lose Your Own Adventure variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
The "Lose Your Own Adventure" variant:

When you need more fighting cards, randomly remove one card from the Robinson discard pile without looking at it. This card is "destroyed" and removed from the game, just like any other destroyed card. After this, add your aging card, shuffle, and continue.

You have aged, and have lost this ability/weapon/bad thing?!
Good luck.

Try this variation on any level of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
casedinlight wrote:
The "Lose Your Own Adventure" variant:

When you need more fighting cards, randomly remove one card from the Robinson discard pile without looking at it. This card is "destroyed" and removed from the game, just like any other destroyed card. After this, add your aging card, shuffle, and continue.

You have aged, and have lost this ability/weapon/bad thing?!
Good luck.

Try this variation on any level of the game.

You could also said in this variant you are not allowed to ask for more fighting cards and the effect will be 99% the same. Asking for more fighting cards is one of the more meaningful decision you take in the game (a "push your luck"/"know your deck" decision) and with this variant you made so big a penalization that it become a decision less to take without any advantage or depth added. I dont like it and the game is challenge enough without it. You could always start at 16 life if it is too easy for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
vica8081 wrote:
You could also said in this variant you are not allowed to ask for more fighting cards and the effect will be 99% the same. Asking for more fighting cards is one of the more meaningful decision you take in the game (a "push your luck"/"know your deck" decision) and with this variant you made so big a penalization that it become a decision less to take without any advantage or depth added. I dont like it and the game is challenge enough without it. You could always start at 16 life if it is too easy for you

I think that's a bit harsh. By "asking for more fighting cards" I assume you mean paying life for them? If so, not being allowed to do that will lose you the game very quickly. This variant will cost you maybe 10 cards in the entire game, and some of those will almost certainly be ones you'd have destroyed anyway.

Also, this gives you new strategic considerations. Sometimes, when your deck is empty (or nearly empty) and some of your best cards are currently in play, you will want to end the fight quickly so those cards will be included when you reshuffle the deck. With this variant, you might not want to do that, to avoid the risk of losing a card you'd like to keep for fighting the pirates.

Having said that, I'm not sure I like this variant myself, but I don't think it's worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
vica8081 wrote:

I think that's a bit harsh. By "asking for more fighting cards" I assume you mean paying life for them? If so, not being allowed to do that will lose you the game very quickly. This variant will cost you maybe 10 cards in the entire game, and some of those will almost certainly be ones you'd have destroyed anyway.

Also, this gives you new strategic considerations. Sometimes, when your deck is empty (or nearly empty) and some of your best cards are currently in play, you will want to end the fight quickly so those cards will be included when you reshuffle the deck. With this variant, you might not want to do that, to avoid the risk of losing a card you'd like to keep for fighting the pirates.

Having said that, I'm not sure I like this variant myself, but I don't think it's worthless.

There are two disadvantages: adding an age card and destroying one card (usually a useful one except at begining when you have lots of dead cards). In almost every ocassion it will be better to lost the fight than to draw more cards. Try yourself. So this variant doesnt add more decisions points or something interesting at the game, just the contrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.