9 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hi,

I'm just done reading the manual and I'm slightly confused how turns work.

1. Does the ghost first distribute vision cards to ALL players and only then the timer starts? if that is indeed the way it's being handled, is the cards given to all players are given upside-down until all players got a vision card and THEN flip together? or players can discuses them while they are being handled one by one face up?

2. Is the ghost need to distribute cards in clock-wise order? or the ghost may decide the order he distribute cards?

3. Players can play vote token after the timer has ended? or they can only vote if there is still time left on the sand clock?

4. It's mentioned I can use Raven per TURN. So if I understand turns right, I can (as a ghost) distribute 1 card to player X, 1 card to players Y, Toss all my 7 cards for a Raven, distribute 2 cards to player Z. Is that correct? I'm guessing a turn includes everyone getting a vision card? so I can't for example use two raven token on the above example (one for player Y and one for player Z?)

5. In Medium Difficulty - where I can use 3 Ravens per GAME. Does it mean I can in a single turn use couple or ravens?

6. If I'm left with a single raven on the last phase of the game, can I use it? can I use it more then once if I have 2 ravens or is it still consider as a single turn?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Alexander
msg tools
Okay the way I've been playing is,

1. The ghost makes sure it gives cards to ALL players before the turn starts. Thus meaning they are all face down until everyone is ready, then the timer flips.

2. We play that the ghost decides the order they want to give a card to someone, because they may have cards that work for some people, and NOTHING for the rest, thus Raven.

3. We only allow players to vote during the sand timer, so the tension is there.

4. Depending on which difficulty, you can use a raven in different levels. A harder version is giving you only 3 ravens per game. But you may hand some cards out, refill. If you want after that, you can use a raven to discard as many as you like, and refill your hand.

5. The rule is 3 Ravens per game, you decide when you want to use them. (I believe you can use all 3 in one turn if you want, but then you're screwed later on)

6. This last part we've allowed the ghost to change their hand up with Ravens leftover if needed, as many Ravens as they wanted.

Hope it helps! Don't know how accurate I am haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more casual, but my group plays that the ghost gives visions face-up in whatever order she wants and the investigators are able to discuss as the ghost is thinking. We don't like to use a timer, but this method helps speed things up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rules on pg. 9 of the English rulebook, the first step of the ghost projecting a vision is to CHOOSE a psychic and give them ANY NUMBER of cards from your hand FACE UP.

So if you go by the rulebook then no, players don't wait to flip cards. Yes, players can discuss while other visions are being handed out, although this can be houseruled. And yes, the ghost can distribute cards in any order.

Players have until the sand timer runs out to place and move their clairvoyancy tokens. (On pg 10 of rulebook)

Discarding cards per the ravens depends on the difficulty level you've selected. The once per turn rule refers to the easy setting. You can discard any number of vision cards, but only once per turn. So once you discard, whether its one card or all seven, that's it. No more discarding for that turn. And yes, at medium difficulty you can discard 3 times total for the entire game, even twice on one turn if you so desire.

Yes you can use your ravens on the final phase, regardless of the amount you have left. In fact this should be a strategy to try and save them as much as possible for the final phase.

(edit: terminology)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles C
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does everybody want to make this game harder? It's cooperative! It makes sense to allow the ghost to give some people more time by giving them cards first, hence face up, and in any order. And people aren't waiting around for the ghost to set up 5 or 7 sets of cards before they get to look. The RAW are pretty clear; where does everybody get the idea that you deal them face down, and then everybody looks at once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never use the timer. We don't like being rushed. We find the game is still challenging, and we enjoy it more this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks for clearing it up and especially Glenn Darrin who shared the Rulebook references
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the biggest challenge when playing with more than two mediums is to keep things moving. This puts a lot of pressure on the ghost to select cards, and not slow the game to a killer pace. Handing cards face down and waiting would KILL ALL MOMENTUM and create a very boring experience -- unless the ghost is somehow able to make instant choices.

That's where the boring delays are. When players are debating and choosing, that's the heart of the action, so most groups don't use the timer for that. (I use the timer on myself as ghost...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rine
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
I find that the biggest challenge when playing with more than two mediums is to keep things moving. This puts a lot of pressure on the ghost to select cards, and not slow the game to a killer pace. Handing cards face down and waiting would KILL ALL MOMENTUM and create a very boring experience -- unless the ghost is somehow able to make instant choices.

That's where the boring delays are. When players are debating and choosing, that's the heart of the action, so most groups don't use the timer for that. (I use the timer on myself as ghost...)

How we did it was me (Ghost) choose however many cards I gave it to whoever turn it was and then they started timer when they flipped card(s). Nobody had any issue. The fact no one could guess what I was doing was annoying as I kept looking at the cards 'artistically' stead of just one aspect (Grim reaper with an apple and the demon eyes from a circus tent to represent a police officer was a blatant hint in my mind)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.