Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure» Forums » Variants

Subject: Lines´ Automa solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is now in the file section:
Clank! Automa solo rules ( vs. 1 or 2 AIs)

Hi guys.

I played the solo App quite often, but although I like the Quests, I´m not a fan of beat your own score variants. Also I was missing some interaction you get when playing against real players, mainly when it comes to gaining Secrets and Artefacts.

So I came up with this card driven AI for solo play.

I played a couple of games with it and enjoyed it so far. Still this is wip. So if you want to give it a try and give some feedback, go for it.

Have fun!

Material:
1 page rules
1 page cards (8 cards)

Link:

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lines´ card-driven solo variant
Updated to V0.2

- New Acquire card action for card 3
- Changes to cards 3,7 and 9.
- Addad rules for playing against 2 AIs
- Updated link in OP
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lines´ card-driven solo variant
Gave it a try last night and had fun!! I've avoided the solo app because the beat your own score approach didn't appeal to me... I prefer your variant.

Had a few clarification questions:

1) When Laura takes a Minor or Major secret, the rules say to only resolve the Dragon Egg. What about gold? Does Laura receive gold from the Minor/Major secrets? (I've assumed yes in my game but wanted to clarify since it appears contrary to the rules.)
2) When Laura acquires a card, I know she doesn't gain any immediate benefits. Wanted to confirm this also applies to cases where acquiring a card immediately adds clank.

The only strange thing is that I was trying hard to keep Laura alive at the end (avoiding acquiring cards to minimize dragon attacks) so that she wouldn't get the mastery token (20 VPs)... considering that 1 won by only 13 points, I'm glad she didn't perish. This part seems contrary to the multi-player experience where you're hoping your opponents perish in the dungeon. Having said this, I like how Laura's health (and your own health) act as a timer... I was better at managing my clank than Laura was but only stayed in the dungeon collecting items until I felt Laura's health might not last... then I made a beeline to the exit and hoped to make it out before Laura's last 2 health ran out.

Enjoyed it! Thx for creating this variant!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lines´ card-driven solo variant
Awesome, Mike.
Thanks for your feedback.
Answers below.

mikemartins wrote:

1) When Laura takes a Minor or Major secret, the rules say to only resolve the Dragon Egg. What about gold? Does Laura receive gold from the Minor/Major secrets? (I've assumed yes in my game but wanted to clarify since it appears contrary to the rules.)

Yes, she scores Gold from Secrets at the end of the game.
I think the wording for the Major Secrets is a bit better, where it says she doesn´t gain any immediate benefit. Scoring says she scores everything including Sectrets like a human player.
Let me know if you have suggestions for improved wordings.

mikemartins wrote:
2) When Laura acquires a card, I know she doesn't gain any immediate benefits. Wanted to confirm this also applies to cases where acquiring a card immediately adds clank.

Yes, nothing from cards. Less bookkeeping.


mikemartins wrote:
The only strange thing is that I was trying hard to keep Laura alive at the end (avoiding acquiring cards to minimize dragon attacks) so that she wouldn't get the mastery token (20 VPs)... considering that 1 won by only 13 points, I'm glad she didn't perish. This part seems contrary to the multi-player experience where you're hoping your opponents perish in the dungeon. Having said this, I like how Laura's health (and your own health) act as a timer... I was better at managing my clank than Laura was but only stayed in the dungeon collecting items until I felt Laura's health might not last... then I made a beeline to the exit and hoped to make it out before Laura's last 2 health ran out.

Yes, this one I "stole" from the App. You need some kind of timer. I initially had Laura´s health increase slower, but this only made the game longer, provided no tension and you could clear the whole board in the time. So actualy she´s one of those players that at one point decides to quickly run for the exit. And she´s good enough for a perfect timing, except if you make it first.

mikemartins wrote:
Enjoyed it! Thx for creating this variant!

Great you enjoyed it and great it turned out that close. If you want to post your results here (+anything that might help, like which board or odd situations). I love keeping track of stats.

Have fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lines´ card-driven solo variant
Lines42 wrote:
Yes, she scores Gold from Secrets at the end of the game.
I think the wording for the Major Secrets is a bit better, where it says she doesn´t gain any immediate benefit. Scoring says she scores everything including Sectrets like a human player.
Let me know if you have suggestions for improved wordings.


This is fine... I think I was just confused by the minor secrets where it said to only resolve the Dragon Egg.

Lines42 wrote:
If you want to post your results here (+anything that might help, like which board or odd situations). I love keeping track of stats.


Here's what I remember:
Score - Me 134, Laura 121 (I've never scored so high before but my prior plays have all been 4 player and there was always someone who grabbed 1 artifact and then got out.)

Board - Base game, easy board

Remaining Health - Me 3, Laura 1 (As mentioned, I didn't purchase any cards the last few turns to avoid Dragon Attacks... one attack and Laura would have won. Laura had a lot more clank in the bag than I did.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lines´ card-driven solo variant
Love the solo variant and wanted to add some "color" to the cards. Here are links to the solo cards with color backgrounds, as well as a set of card backs. Enjoy

card fronts:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nyk2fp6jrryjbh/clank-solo-card-fr...

card backs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmbfvnowwzl6z1/clank-solo-card-ba...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.