I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, I have some questions after our first two plays of 2-player games:

1. Taxes - If you have the Wages card left, you lose 3 points and have to pay your performers double. If you can't, do you lose them or do you just lose as much money as you have left? This could affect bonus points in a big way.

2. When you take a Perform/Hire action, do you get to do both or just one? If you can do both, what order do they have to be done in?

3. When you draw a Bankrupt Circus tile, does it stay on the board or do you just put the tokens out there and discard it like you do in setup?

4. Has anyone played this minus the rolls to acquire talent? In such a tight game, it's really crappy when you miss your rolls and have to waste turns. I know you can pay for the rolls if you miss, but money can be tight early in the game.

5. How do I win? My wife just trounced me twice! Just kidding. She played VERY well. I think it was primarily her talent acquisitions because she scored bonus points constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do not have the rules in front of me but will answer what I remember.

1. Not sure would have to look it up as I do not remember playing two players with this. Seems like you just want to make sure you use your wage card.
2. Perform/hire is one or the other not both.
3. You put the tokens out just like in the beginning of the game. If there are not enough tokens because you ran out you put out what you can. Usually you will not run out of tokens but we have run out of clown tokens already.
4. I enjoy rolling for the success for the hire. You could play with the reputation rules and you can get it to a 1-6 success pretty easy right from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Anytime you can't afford to pay talent, you lose that talent, even at the end.

2. One or the other.

3. Put the tokens out on the board like you do in setup.

4. As Joseph said, you might try the Advanced game with the Reputation track.

5. I'm much more familiar with strategies for solo play, but some carry over to 2 players. You want a variety of talent, but you also want it to be useful. Elephants pay well, but only if they are in demand.

Keep an eye on your opponent's talent. It should give you some idea of where they might head (following them around only to have them eat up shows is a waste of actions that don't give you money). Also, specialize and acquire different talent types from your opponent so that you can get some of the Most Talent bonuses. (Clowns are the exception - everyone wants them, but if someone runs away with a ton of them, it might be worth it to have a single clown and consider that bonus lost to you, and spend your funds elsewhere).

Solo: You want a variety of talent, but you only want 1 or 3 of each type. A pair is a waste of money unless you know you can get the third soon to be famous in the act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't replace the bankrupt circuses with new ones immediately, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bankrupt circus simply puts talent in that town. A performance of VP marker can't go there while there is talent there. Once you've placed the talent from the bankrupt circus, you are done with that location card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
A bankrupt circus simply puts talent in that town. A performance of VP marker can't go there while there is talent there. Once you've placed the talent from the bankrupt circus, you are done with that location card.

Thanks to everyone who answered above. All the answers are correct, except one change to this above. If a performance, victory point, or another bankrupt circus appear where there there are already talent markers, those older ones are returned to the pool, and are replaced entirely by what was newly drawn. Actually, because of this, it would be impossible to both perform and hire in the same city on the same turn.

And thanks to all who pointed out playing the reputation rule if you don't like the die roll. In hindsight, I should have made the event cards dual purposed where you draw one of those to see if you succeed or fail in hiring talent. The odds would be the same, but people seem to have a less negative reaction to drawing cards than to rolling dice.

- Tom, designer of Circus Train
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. I apparently need a rules refresher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, all! That clears things up tremendously. I think we will try the reputation track. That seems like a really solid idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.