Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Burton
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the late 60's, early 70's I played a game a lot like Stratego. The play field was a folding plastic sheet depicting water. Pieces were subs, destroyers, cruisers, battleships, carriers, mine sweepers, mine layers, troop ships, mines, etc. Each ship had a number embossed on the bottom that determined its power relative to other ships of the same type.

I have no idea of the game's name. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dover Patrol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Burton
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Dover Patrol

I don't think it is Dover Patrol. The game I played had molded plastic pieces. Each type of ship was a different shape. If there were five destroyers, each had a different number molded into the bottom. The mines were actual tiny spiked balls.

But I am willing to be convinced.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you be remembering two games and thinking they were one? All I can think of is Admirals and Sub Search.

Good luck!

Or could it be Strategy: The Navy Game for All The Family?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Might it have been from Helen of Toy, the back of comic book mail order "complete army in a box" tabletop games company?

That sounds like one of their fleet games.
Fighting Ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Burton
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlorp wrote:
Might it have been from Helen of Toy, the back of comic book mail order "complete army in a box" tabletop games company?

That sounds like one of their fleet games.
Fighting Ships

Thank you very much, Catherine.

This is the one. The images match my memory and buying something from the back of a comic book sounds like Roger, the owner of the game.

This, Focus, All-Pro Football, and the other games in the All-Pro series are the first "real" games I remember playing. My grandfather bought Focus for me. I could not have been more than 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.