Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up Seaside + Dark Ages and I also bought a base set of cards to make each expansion playable on it's own.

Turns out, we are not enjoying Seaside on it's own all that much. It's not bad, it's just kind of....I don't know...missing something.

We are also new to Dominion, so I'm curious if these expansions do not actually work all that well in isolation compared to coupling with base or Intrigue.

Our second game we ensured to include kingdom cards which provided additional buys and trash mechanics. Something we didn't do the first time.

Any tips in deck setup would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Just picked up Seaside + Dark Ages and I also bought a base set of cards to make each expansion playable on it's own.

Turns out, we are not enjoying Seaside on it's own all that much. It's not bad, it's just kind of....I don't know...missing something.

We are also new to Dominion, so I'm curious if these expansions do not actually work all that well in isolation compared to coupling with base or Intrigue.

Our second game we ensured to include kingdom cards which provided additional buys and trash mechanics. Something we didn't do the first time.

If you'd like to have more of the "essentials" covered, like +coins, +Buys, +Cards, and +actions covered, then simply don't go full random, and customize some of your setups to suit such tastes.

A fundamental of all sets is that there are always be some cards that provide +coins, +Buys, +Cards, and +actions, as well as trashing. Some more than others, but they're there.
And sometimes but not always, alternate Victory cards and Reactions.

Having more sets to pick from also ups such attributes in cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

I kinda think it's a matter of of opinion...I really enjoy playing Seaside on its own. As far as setup goes, I shuffle all of the randomizers for the set (s) I'm playing with, and pick 10. Sometimes if one of the cards I picked doesn't fit well, I'll swap it out for something better.

Welcome to the world of Dominion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalmar Wingfeather wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

I kinda think it's a matter of of opinion...I really enjoy playing Seaside on its own. As far as setup goes, I shuffle all of the randomizers for the set (s) I'm playing with, and pick 10. Sometimes if one of the cards I picked doesn't fit well, I'll swap it out for something better.

Welcome to the world of Dominion!

I didn't see any of these randomizers in the box. I thought they were supposed to have a blue background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Are you not using the recommended setups described in the rule book?

I am new to dominion, and have been strictly using all of the recommended kingdom card setups and they all seem fine so far.

The randomizers have a blue back, not background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Are you not using the recommended setups described in the rule book?

I am new to dominion, and have been strictly using all of the recommended kingdom card setups and they all seem fine so far.

The randomizers have a blue back, not background.

Maybe I rushed through the rulebook for Seaside, I didn't see a recommended starting setup.

I now see the radommizer cards have a blue BORDER. Haha. I'm a dumbo. I'll be we have been throwing them in the full stack. I'll need to go check my box now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
http://riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_326_gameRules.pd...

Page 5, second set of rules.

Seaside only:
High Seas: Bazaar, Caravan, Embargo, Explorer, Haven, Island, Lookout, Pirate Ship, Smugglers, Wharf
Buried Treasure: Ambassador, Cutpurse, Fishing Village, Lighthouse, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Tactician, Treasure Map, Warehouse, Wharf
Shipwrecks: Ghost Ship, Merchant Ship, Native Village, Navigator, Pearl Diver, Salvager, Sea Hag, Smugglers, Treasury, Warehouse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See page five of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
dcorban wrote:
See page five of the rulebook.

Jinx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Myers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact reason(s), but we did not initially enjoy the seaside-only games we played when we first purchased the expansion. But mixed with other sets it is one of our favorites. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karmakanik wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

It's been a while so I don't remember the exact reason(s), but we did not initially enjoy the seaside-only games we played when we first purchased the expansion. But mixed with other sets it is one of our favorites. Go figure.

..... also to those who are in the same camp, any chance that Pirate Ship and/or Sea Hag are singlehandedly ruining it for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Pilotte
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have already made recommendations about the setup suggested in the rule book.

The best I can do as an addition to this discussion is to remind that a very large number of people here will recommend for new players to start with the Basic game or with Intrigue.

Seaside and Dark Ages are certainly playable "alone" (or both together), but in my opinion this is true for players who already have extensive experience of the game.

I really can't see how I could introduce Dominion to new players by showing them one or both expansions you've bought.

Seaside and Dark Ages are possibly my two favorite expansions, when combined with Base and/or Intrigue. But intrinsically, Seaside offers a significant amount of cards that I would call "exotic":

- Embargo;
- Native Village;
- Ambassador;
- Lookout;
- Island;
- Navigator;
- Pirate Ship;
- Treasure Map;
- Explorer;
... and even Outpost and Tactician.

Clearly, these cards can all be very enjoyable to play; But playing them games after games, ... not sure!

For Dark Ages, it seems that this expansion is one of the most polarizing of all: one can adore, but some detest it. What is more or less certain is that it is a very different kind of expansion, which can be played alone, but which offers a significantly different experience from what is a "normal" game of Dominion. The hole expansion sounds "exotic" to my eyes!

Because you have already acquired the basic cards; Because you may not have bought the first two best expansions; Because you currently only have access to two* special Victory Cards (Island and Feodum - two cards that are not considered the best, especially from an "alternative victory" perspective); Because you will VERY CERTAINLY enjoy Intrigue; But only if you have the feeling that Dominion is your kind of game: go buy Intrigue!

*: ok, three with Dame Josephine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.