Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stang
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had some free time at Origins. I went and talked to Conor McGoey designer of "Summit - The Board Game".

First, let me say what an impressive young man he was. Passionate and articulate, his description of the game was engaging enough that I committed to come back at 10 PM on a Saturday night to try the game out.

And boy, am I glad I did.

This is an awesome game. The component quality is amazing. Recessed player boards for resource management, thick tiles, chunky, high quality large dice, custom meeples for the climbers, a large board with great artwork and very clear and functional graphic design, something like 190 unique cards...it did not feel like the first game of a new designer.

But it was the game play that sealed the deal for me. We played a 4 player cooperative game (plays up to 6) Before we even started, we had to choose from 5 difficulty levels, and we were further able to modify aspects of the game by including or excluding certain rules or groups of event cards to make it more or less challenging. I only got to play it once, but based on how we set it up, (medium difficulty, no double diamond events, more realistic day/night rules) and how difficult we had it (2 players died on the mountain) this looks like it can go from relatively relaxing to brutal.

The game play itself was very intuitive. You place new tiles when you need to move to a new space. The more you carry, the slower you go. You want to drop oxygen, food or another item to lighten your load and move faster? You just do it. There are tokens to represent what you've dropped, and other climbers can pick them up. Your Sherpas are there to help resupply you, to resupply, you simply forgo moving that turn. You want to give some of your supplies to another player? If they are adjacent to you, you can. It's that kind of game, if you think it's something you should be able to do, you probably can. It doesn't feel like there are artificial limits to your character's behavior.

And that leads me to the next thing that I liked about this game: The narrative flow. The way you manage things like food and oxygen, the way you an interact with the game, your Sherpa, and the other players, the events that you are subject to as you go up (and down) the mountain...They all add to the feel of an epic adventure. The freedom to do something like drop oxygen to lose weight to move faster so you can make a run for the summit and hopefully pick it back up on the way down when you need it really added to this narrative feel.

Our play was tense, with multiple barely surviving incidents occurring, yet there were laugh out loud moments, like when we had a Sherpa appear at just the right moment to provide some much needed food, and replace a Sherpa who had died earlier in the ascent, only to have this new Sherpa die on the very next event card draw.

All in all, this was a great game experience, and I can't wait to try it competitively as well. Really great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it! I had a copy of Summit in my hands at another convention a few weeks ago, but gave it away as a prize (I worked with Conor on the rule book, so I was able to get a copy early). Everything I saw inside the box was of great quality, and it absolutely warms my heart to hear that you had a good time playing Summit! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't able to go this year (won't make that mistake again!), but I was following Summit on FB all weekend long, and watched Conor demo the game on the BGG livestream and on The Dice Tower's live stream. He did a great job in both cases (and even got in a plug for The Game Steward on BGG!). And everyone kept praising the quality of the components.

Can't wait to get this game to the table when it comes out. Well done Conor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Koshar
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to demo it, and we all had a great time playing. It's certainly tough, but the feel of the game is spot-on for a tough climb. The quality os great and the amount of cards and possible customization options is impressive. At the last moment (playing cooperatively) we snatched a victory by riding an avalanche down the mountain despite one of our teammates becoming ill during the previous turn, possibly from eating his sherpa at a higher elevation.

All in all, I look forward to receiving my copy, the narrative the game builds is strong, and the turns flow very smoothly.

Also, the designer Conor is an absolute blast, great guy, gives incredible hugs, and really enthusiastic about his game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this at Origins as well and I agree the gameplay is quite fun (as long as you don't mind heavy 'take that' gameplay) and the components are exceptional.

We were having a real good time until both another player (who had already gotten beaten up on pretty bad) and myself were forced to lose a turn, no options or alternative actions just lose a turn and wait till everyone else plays again until you can do anything. This really surprised me, the game has a 'do nothing on your turn to gain x' mechanic in it which doesn't bother me since it's a choice and you actually get a benefit out of it but a mechanic as outdated as 'lose a turn' does not belong in (IMHO) in any modern board game.

This really killed the vibe in our game. Unfortunate because otherwise I would probably consider picking it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! Thanks for the love everyone I really appreciate each of you taking the time to post your comments here, it's REALLY helpful to a tiny company just starting up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
I played this at Origins as well and I agree the gameplay is quite fun (as long as you don't mind heavy 'take that' gameplay) and the components are exceptional.

We were having a real good time until both another player (who had already gotten beaten up on pretty bad) and myself were forced to lose a turn, no options or alternative actions just lose a turn and wait till everyone else plays again until you can do anything. This really surprised me, the game has a 'do nothing on your turn to gain x' mechanic in it which doesn't bother me since it's a choice and you actually get a benefit out of it but a mechanic as outdated as 'lose a turn' does not belong in (IMHO) in any modern board game.

This really killed the vibe in our game. Unfortunate because otherwise I would probably consider picking it up.

Hey Dan, I remember that demo! And I'm sorry those two cards left a bad taste in your mouth. But if you give it another shot, I designed Summit to be as customizable as possible so you could always remove those cards from the game - make it a legacy game and you would still have almost 200 unique cards to play with!
If you are attending Gen Con, come on by and try it out! I would love to win you back
Thanks for playing!
Conor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I on a whim joined in the same game described above, and had a great time despite being one of the two characters that died. There were a lot of great tense moments throughout and a few amusing ones as mentioned above. Mark neglected to mention that the reason the Sherpa that arrived to save us died was because we ate him

The game as a co-op reminds me very much of Robinson Crusoe in many ways. There is a similar sense of narrative and fighting for your life against all odds. The players have assymetric abilities and have tracks similar to the health track in RC. The event deck dishes out nasty things turn after turn (Conor claimed there really were a fair amount of good events in there but it sure didn't feel like it), and the weather and corresponding die is a constant threat.

That said, Summit sets itself apart in myriad ways and really improves on that formula. The Sherpa mechanic is really clever, and the resource tracking and how it cascades to affect your weight and movement works elegantly and intuitively. The game also provides a much more collaborative feel where your actions can be planned to help your specific team members or team as a whole to handle specific situations rather than just to distribute actions needed to be made. You can leave items in strategic places for your fellow team members, lay tiles to provide a path which suits them, or trade your resources freely as needed (if adjacent). As an individual player I also felt much more of my own narrative woven in with that of the team as a whole.

I wish there would have been time to try a competitive game, but I expect it to be excellent as well.

Had Conor had copies for sale I would have bought one on the spot, but I had to settle for a preorder upon returning to the hotel. I look forward to getting it to the table at my regular group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
THank you for the very kind words Justin, it really means a lot to me! I love watching the different narrative each game creates, and I've watched hundreds, and it's nice to know you had a good time! I look forward to your stories of the competitive game! Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guys of Blue Peg Pink Peg talk about their experience playing Summit: The Board Game in Origins, on their latest episode, #102.
Check it out @ the 59:30 timestamp.

Nothing but good vibes from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up Alexandre. I was listening to it the day it dropped but had to stop at 50:30 because of a meeting. I've been so busy preparing my next Kickstarter I haven't started it back up, but I will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaGoogar wrote:
danlicata wrote:

Hey Dan, I remember that demo! And I'm sorry those two cards left a bad taste in your mouth. But if you give it another shot, I designed Summit to be as customizable as possible so you could always remove those cards from the game - make it a legacy game and you would still have almost 200 unique cards to play with!
If you are attending Gen Con, come on by and try it out! I would love to win you back
Thanks for playing!
Conor

That's good to hear, because aside from that I was impressed with the game and the quality. I'll be sure to check it out again.

Unfortunately I am not attending GenCon perhaps you guys will be at PAX Unplugged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Correia
Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaGoogar wrote:
I've been so busy preparing my next Kickstarter I haven't started it back up, but I will

Next Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor McGoey
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
insideupgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieBoard wrote:

Next Kickstarter?

Yup! Vault Assault a fast paced "Cops & Robbers" dice game for 2-4 players taking roughly 10-20 mins. Hopefully launching next Wednesday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.