OzLefty
Australia
Mitcham
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised that there's absolutely no commentary about these expansions at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A ton of the game discussion winds up being on the main game, I think, since the expansions just add factions.

I unfortunately can't really speak to these factions, because I really haven't played them at all!

I can, however, make a note on the binders. I know that some people play without them--I imagine that having a lot of familiarity with the cards helps. For me, the binders are important because they let me very quickly glance over my cards--a single two-page spread showcases 18 different options that I can tech into my deck. Fanning through three piles of cards is plausible, but feels time-consuming to me.

That said, replacement binders aren't super-expensive to put together if you're willing to go cheaper. Just grab a small pack of Ultra Pro 9-slot pages and two inexpensive binders (all you'd need is 1/2 inch) and go from there. If you feel like putting in a bit more work, you can cut down the first 1/2 inch or so of each card slot to make it easier to retrieve the cards, as the official binders do. (Would recommend an Exacto knife.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This expansion with blue and black is fantastic. Blue may be my favorite single color to play. Completely worth it, even without binders. When I don't use use binders, I just set the cards I'm using as my codex/deck behind a little makeshift GM screen, works very well.

And as has been said, there's lots of discussion about these colors on the main page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchel Wong
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So how BGG puts up things is a little confusing.

Deluxe: All 6 colors and Starter specs, 2 mats, all 6 binders, and other stuff.

Starter: Bashing versus Finesse (and starter set boards)

Core Set: Green and Red, 2 boards, 2 binders, all mini cards, and all tokens.

Then there's Blue and Black expansion, and White and Purple expansion, which only has the cards.

I bought all the cards piece meal, opposed to Deluxe. What I'm missing from the Deluxe set would be 4 binders, 3 paper player boards, and map cards, which are not a big deal and can easily be found online. I don't have mats, but I do have 2 boards, which are totally fine, and the extra player boards are only for multiplayer, though two people can use the starter set boards.

If you're asking if it's worth buying the expansions if you already/only have the Core Set? If you like the game, then absolutely. Black is amazing. White is amazing. I love peace. There is no parallel to purple in other card games like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also bought the game piecemeal. Almost all the discussion of the game is in the deluxe game set page - which includes this expansion as well. As others have said, the complete game really is the game with all the factions, which includes the expansions. I liked buying it piecemeal, not having all the cards at once let you focus and try out things and see if you like it. Once you love the game though, you'll want all of them. As for components, I also don't have the binders but I had some binders from other card games, and it's better anyway to have each spec on a different page so that you can mix and match in multi-color (that's what I think, at least). I don't have the map cards, which I don't think I'll miss until I've played the game a ton, and the mats are pretty awesome but the boards are totally fine.

Specifically, this is the Blue vs. Black expansion - both of these colors are unique and awesome. Black, in my opinion, is one of the most fun to play and it's definitely one of the strongest to play. If you want to mass skeletons and bring units up from the dead, or if you want to have giant demons that need sacrifice to survive, or if you want to spread your hurt like the plague - all fun options. Blue has a very interesting theme, and somewhat convoluted mechanics. It's still an integral part of the game - Truth and Peace are both specs that appear in many decks. The power to create mirror illusions and free speech is one of the most game-warping abilities, and there's no way to play the game without working around it. So it's fun and special and changes the game.

So, it seems to me that most people who like this game, love it. That's been my experience. If this is yours with the starter or core set - than you'll love the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wilson
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I made a mistake and didn't do my homework properly. I bought this expansion without realizing it didn't come with the binders. I was actually pretty disappointed... but it was my own fault soblue

That being said, the price point for this expansion doesn't seem reasonable to me. The core set comes with so much more (boards, tokens, binders), and is only slightly more expensive. In terms of value, I would recommend buying this expansion when it's on sale. Fortunately, the game has been out long enough that it shouldn't be too hard to find at a discounted price.

IMHO this is overpriced. Star Realms gives you ~130 cards for $15, this is 191 cards for over $30... I would not want to pay more than $25 for these expansions. If they came with the binders, then totally worth the inflated price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CptSkamerica wrote:
IMHO this is overpriced. Star Realms gives you ~130 cards for $15, this is 191 cards for over $30... I would not want to pay more than $25 for these expansions. If they came with the binders, then totally worth the inflated price.

Do you judge the quality of a book by how many pages it has?

You'll be playing Codex long after Star Realms has shown you everything it has to give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wilson
United States
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:

You'll be playing Codex long after Star Realms has shown you everything it has to give.

That is a very reasonable point. A direct comparison is not necessarily fair.

However, your book analogy does more for my point than you think. Pricing for books is not based on quality, but on word count. Good books don't cost more to buy, they simply sell more copies. The entry point for Codex is too high to bring-in new gamers. People who know nothing about the game will compare the card count and box offerings to other games and go for the more reasonably priced options.

Codex is super fun, but it won't get the recognition it deserves until the price drops (which it won't, because of the backlash that would get from KS Backers who went all-in at the start). I wanted to back it so bad, but ultimately decided not to because of the price. I got lucky and found some discounted "ding-and-dent" copies, and that's the only reason I got to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
CptSkamerica wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

That is a very reasonable point. A direct comparison is not necessarily fair.

However, your book analogy does more for my point than you think. Pricing for books is not based on quality, but on word count. Good books don't cost more to buy, they simply sell more copies. The entry point for Codex is too high to bring-in new gamers. People who know nothing about the game will compare the card count and box offerings to other games and go for the more reasonably priced options.
Emphasis mine
And therein lies the problem.
A 'more reasonably priced option' still refers to price, it does not refer to the potential replay value and longevity of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.