6 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Blood on the Altar Resolution Consequences *Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lee miller
msg tools
mb
So it seems to me that putting Silas out of his misery is definitely a non-choice. The consequences of this add the hideous abominations to the Where Doom Awaits encounter deck and start with conglomeration of spheres in play. This totally wrecked me at the start and since if you are defeated in this scenario, you lose. So it seems to be a situation of being punished for winning. And I took that fighting and killing Silas was a winning condition. Better off to just resign.

Am I reading this wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on your investigator, their decks, and also the luck factor.

Yes, Where Doom Awaits can be harder if you kill Silas, but it's not impossible. Fighting Seth is not extremely difficult, but I expect that you don't always have the time on the Agenda to take him on. It can boil down to what your decks are good at. If you have strong fighting cards and investigators, you'll fight both. If you are not particularly strong in a fight, you could fight neither, but in that case you might struggle a lot with some of the other scenarios, in particular Undimensioned.

On my first playthrough (2-handed solo with Zoey and Agnes), I had to fight Silas because I just couldn't find the time to investigate the altar (Agnes was badly injured and couldn't stay at the Altar for more than a turn). On the other hand, Zoey was nicely geared up and fighting was the only viable option for me at the time. Where Doom Awaits was difficult time-wise, but I did push through Seth and found the gate just in time, with max 1 more turn left.

Long story short: it's hard but not impossible. Since you're playing this particular game, I expect that's what you signed up for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not wrong. Putting Silas down definitely seems to be the path to victory, and we are definitely punished for this decision later.

However, one of the themes to AHLCG seems to be that there are ZERO completely correct and benign choices, and nearly every apparently-positive outcome has its down-side. I am just fine with that, though your mileage may vary.

Yeah, the abominations and starting Conglomeration put a huge 'hitch' in my playing of Where Doom Awaits. Couldn't ever really recover from not having enough time to 'gear up'. I did manage to win anyway with Zoey, Rex, and Wendy, but they faced EVERY one of the Abominations, and were really badly beaten up, though only Wendy was eliminated (health) by being 'decked'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is two other paths for avoiding the Conglomeration
1. retrieve the Necronomicon and banish Silas.
2. destroy the Neconomicon (or retrieve it and then don't lose it) and let the ceremony complete in Blood at the Altar

Running Jim solo I managed to fit profile 2 (he grabbed the Necromomicon and resigned early in Blood at the Altar).

As others have noted, really love fact that "best" outcome is suggestive for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
ricedwlit wrote:
2. destroy the Neconomicon (or retrieve it and then don't lose it) and let the ceremony complete in Blood at the Altar

The only trigger for the Conglomeration and its Hideous friends is killing Silas. The Necronomicon isn't a factor; your use of it only comes into play when you reach the summit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
ricedwlit wrote:

The only trigger for the Conglomeration and its Hideous friends is killing Silas. The Necronomicon isn't a factor; your use of it only comes into play when you reach the summit.

Concur regarding just "killing Silas". My point wss that there are other ways to get through Blood on the Alter that don't require you kill him and that each of them - including just resigning - also avoids the conglomerations.

Looking back at the original post, maybe the whole point of this scenario was to raise the point that killing everything is not necessarily the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.