Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use a Trade card, you may perform the trade on that card as many times as you are able during the same action.

Since the cards that produce spices and those that upgrade them have the exact amount you get or can upgrade directly on the card, and Trade is the only card type where the step indicated can be repeated multiple times, it is IMO easy to miss if you're reading the rules really fast or, like me, learned from watching other people play on YouTube (where it might not come up).

It changes the game math A LOT. I have a suspicion that people who *really* like the Upgrade 3 card or some of the cards that produce high level spices do not play the Trade card properly, as being able to repeat the trade multiple times makes those easily the most efficient cards as far as action economy of the game goes.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to clarify: if I have a card that allows you to trade 1 brown to 3 reds, I could trade 2 browns and get 6 reds, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few times already where that would have been good to know, but you are right... it apparently was easy to miss when reading the rules.
Thanks for pointing it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this has been a key aspect of the game, definitely part of how I teach the game to explain how important it is to be able to upgrade pieces but also to multiply your spices with clever downgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Made the same mistake on my first game. Now when teaching it, i make a point of it so no one forgets it... and even reminds people of it at about mid game as it seems there's always someone who forgets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Made the same mistake on my first game. Now when teaching it, i make a point of it so no one forgets it... and even reminds people of it at about mid game as it seems there's always someone who forgets.
I tend to be overly competitive but gentlemanly. I will remind people of options, especially if it's like the first 4-5 times they've played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
When you use a Trade card, you may perform the trade on that card as many times as you are able during the same action.

Since the cards that produce spices and those that upgrade them have the exact amount you get or can upgrade directly on the card, and Trade is the only card type where the step indicated can be repeated multiple times, it is IMO easy to miss if you're reading the rules really fast or, like me, learned from watching other people play on YouTube (where it might not come up).

It changes the game math A LOT. I have a suspicion that people who *really* like the Upgrade 3 card or some of the cards that produce high level spices do not play the Trade card properly, as being able to repeat the trade multiple times makes those easily the most efficient cards as far as action economy of the game goes.
Thank you for posting this! Missing that simple rule will drastically change the experience of the game. I regret not putting that rule in 20pt font extra bold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:

Thank you for posting this! Missing that simple rule will drastically change the experience of the game. I regret not putting that rule in 20pt font extra bold.
For a future printing it might be worth adding a symbol to the Trade cards that symbolizes that repeatability. An example from software, regular expressions, uses the "*" symbol, which could be put next to the "input" cubes (though I would suggest finding something that works better for a general public that are NOT programmers ).

That way the card behavior can approach being self-explanatory without needing to consult the manual.

Having spices being different shapes instead of all cubes, or choosing better colors for colorblind folks, would also be beneficial IMO, but that change is a bit more involved production-wise.

Apart from that I find everything about this game to be excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
nazcagames wrote:

For a future printing it might be worth adding a symbol to the Trade cards that symbolizes that repeatability. An example from software, regular expressions, uses the "*" symbol, which could be put next to the "input" cubes (though I would suggest finding something that works better for a general public that are NOT programmers ).

That way the card behavior can approach being self-explanatory without needing to consult the manual.

Having spices being different shapes instead of all cubes, or choosing better colors for colorblind folks, would also be beneficial IMO, but that change is a bit more involved production-wise.

That is a great idea. perhaps an '∞' on the arrow would give just enough of a hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Bailey
msg tools
nazcagames wrote:

That is a great idea. perhaps an '∞' on the arrow would give just enough of a hint.
I think this is a great idea Emerson, I played close to 20 games without realizing this rule. The additional visual clue will definitely help bring attention to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
nazcagames wrote:

I don't have my game in front of me at the moment but I believe the color of the arrows on the upgrade cards are different from the trade cards. However, I agree that this could have been made a little more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvation wrote:
I don't have my game in front of me at the moment but I believe the color of the arrows on the upgrade cards are different from the trade cards. However, I agree that this could have been made a little more clear.
Yes, that is correct: the arrows on upgrade cards point up, those on trade cards point down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
dvation wrote:
Yes, that is correct: the arrows on upgrade cards point up, those on trade cards point down.
I am not aware of any convention about arrows that says that which way an arrow points affects what direction an arrow is pointing says how many times it can be executed.

We overlooked this rule in our game(s) too. Now the seemingly less efficient trade cards make a LOT more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stannius wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:
dvation wrote:
I am not aware of any convention about arrows that says that which way an arrow points affects what direction an arrow is pointing says how many times it can be executed.
Sorry, I misread dvation's post as "direction" rather than "color."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Sorry, I misread dvation's post as "direction" rather than "color."
Me too, but I'm not aware of any color that indicates repeatability, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone I know who has played this game has missed this rule. How did you catch it OP? Did someone point it out to you or are you a rulebook ninja?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
Everyone I know who has played this game has missed this rule. How did you catch it OP? Did someone point it out to you or are you a rulebook ninja?
We played one game with the wrong rules. I revised the rules when we got new players and randomly caught the mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

You'll have to put out Century 2 earlier to fix that mistake then. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wha...th...huh?!

Wow. Big difference to game play! I'd written this game off as not different enough from Splendor to interest me, but now feel I need to play it again. Thanks!

XDarkAngelX wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nazcagames wrote:

FWIW I saw it, emphasized it when teaching it, and still forgot it. I initially didn't have any cards that really let me take advantage of multiple trades, and by the time I did I had forgotten I could do it.

This is why it's always worth re-reading the rules after the first time you've played a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We missed that rule also.

But I really enjoyed the game anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
How did i miss this?! My brain just exploded! How many other games am I playing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpj2 wrote:
How did i miss this?! My brain just exploded! How many other games am I playing wrong?
If it makes you feel better, I usually miss one non-insignificant rule in just about any game that I'm learning for the first time. This one I managed to get right only because I'd watched a slew of playthroughs and review videos, many of which specifically pointing this out as "a rule that's easy to miss."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |