13 Posts

Harbour» Forums » General

Subject: Any games similar to Harbour? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg W
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this game about a year ago and loved it, then coincidentally tried to pick up a copy in the same week it was on Tabletop a few months ago (didn't realise) and found it was sold out almost everywhere.

Thankfully I found a copy and having introduced it to a few friends, now have a growing group of friends who also love this game (and have bought their own copies).

Wanting to add some variety to games night, I've struggled to find something with the same level of player interaction, reliance on strategy over luck, that is packaged in a small box and doesn't take all night to play.

We regularly get a few other games to the table too, like 8 Minute Empire (and now the Legends sequel), Tammany Hall, Kingdomino, Catan and Catan:Rivals.(you can see my full collection in my profile)

Any suggestions for something that could rival Harbour?

Would appreciate some ideas, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
-San Juan (second edition) (or 1st edition if you land a copy cheap).
-Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City (or any of the preious iterations)
-Livingstone
-Splendor

You may also check out an upcomimg title called Charterstone
It's a legacy style game that takes less than an hour to play. In an interview at last year's Gen Con, the designer explained the shorter-than-usual play time for this style of game. And I personally cannot wait to get my hands on it. It's available to pre-order at the moment, and the online pre-order price is way below msrp. Not sure it will remain that low (relative) come release time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
* Spyrium - The box isn't that small, but only because of the main board. The rest of the game is cards. The board can be replaced with some creativity.
* Sail to India - about the same box size as Harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Valley of the Kings to be an excellent deck builder in a small box....and it seats 4. If you want to add more players the two expansions will help with that.

It's a fantastic game. I'd not put it into the 'small box' or 'micro' category...it's a full fledged experience full of tough choices. The whole game hinges on the concept of Entombing cards for points, but since cards are also your money/attack/defense/abilities you have to judge what card to buy when and for what purpose...and when to entomb it (remove it from your deck into your score pile). It all adds up to a solid engine/deck builder in a small box for a small price. We'll worth adding to a collection...especially if your deck building fans looking for a new take on the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the recommendations for Sail to India and any Machi Koro game (which can easily be repackaged into something smaller). You might also like Carl Chudyk games like Innovation or Impulse --- lots of player interaction and careful thinking in a small package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller boxes was something I tackled a couple years ago. In fact, 3 of the games I mentioned above received the "shrunken box" treatment from me:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:
I'll second the recommendations for Sail to India and any Machi Koro game (which can easily be repackaged into something smaller). You might also like Carl Chudyk games like Innovation or Impulse --- lots of player interaction and careful thinking in a small package.

+1 for Chudyk titles. Uchronia and Mottainai are among my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Tiny Epic games also by Scott Almes would be worth checking out. I like Galaxies the best. Westerns seems the closest to Harbour to me. Kingdoms is great also. Defenders is a co-op, so that wouldn't be as close. I've seen Harbour called Tiny Epic Harbour since it seems to fit the mold of these games.

Another TMG game that I find interesting in a small box is Thief's Market. The dice selection in that game is unique and highly interactive.

One of my Father's day presents from my family was Mint Works. Wow! What a great little game in such a small package. Not the most interactive, but a solid little worker placement game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg W
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions guys and girls. This is why I love BGG

Sail to India has been on my radar, definitely have to pick it up, and Charterstone looks like a must-buy too.

I've played Machi Koro, and it's a fun game, but the dice just brings in too much randomness.

Spyrium looks like another one with good levels of player interaction.

Have Splendor on Android, and it's okay, but not great.

I loved Innovation, it was one of the first games I bought a few years ago, but it's such an odd one and can be an unpleasant surprise for new players that I ended up selling it :/

I had Tiny Epic Galaxies but it just didn't scratch that itch, so sold it too.

Thanks again for the responses and please keep them coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that Oh My Goods! is quite similar. It's also a good game in its own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friendly GamePlayer
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taed wrote:
I would say that Oh My Goods! is quite similar. It's also a good game in its own right.

Not so much player interaction, even though I love that game and the expansion.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is best for me in that range with good player interaction. Another game you might consider is Jungle Rumble - small box, quick and plenty of interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Taed wrote:

And if you want more player interaction but still a Pfister game, I'd recommend Port Royal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg W
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks again guys, I bought Oh My Goods recently and need to get it to game night.

Have also ordered Port Royal on ebay, just waiting for it to arrive.

The recommendations here are telling me that I'm on the right track with some of the games I have on the way. (looking forward to Port Royal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.