Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year, I ran the search string "a song of" in the BGG games search, which is when I stumbled across this expansion. It looked like something I would really want to play; especially since, although I do like the Game of Thrones Boardgame, I disliked the railroading of its opening moves, and the fact that so many (non-military) aspects of the saga didn't make it into that game.

When, a couple of months later, I got offered Fief: France 1429 in a trade - and, after another couple of weeks, finally got to play it - I was amazed at how much the original game already oozed a constant AGoT feeling throughout every aspect of its gameplay, and decided to seriously look into this fan expansion. I was very impressed with what I found here, but one thing bugged me (which had already bugged me in the Game of Thrones Boardgame): I - and most of my friends - only knew the TV show, and all characters were represented by drawings which to us was always slightly irritating.

Since this expansion was print-and-play anyway, I thought I could as well tinker with the graphics and see if I could get nice screenshot images to substitute the character drawings. What sounded easy in theory soon became a lot harder when I realised that quite a few characters in this expansion are lords and ladies who are exclusive to the book saga and never appear in the TV show. Since all characters in this expansion had fixed attributes (of varying positive and negative strength) assigned to them, I had to look for substitute characters which would fit the houses, make sense within the game, AND would allow me to keep the old attributes for the sake of game balance. For some characters, this worked quite nicely; some others I had to keep, because no appropriate substitute was available (and I had to look for a photo that could represent them adequately). Also, I quickly realised that once I start working with photo images, I should exchange all other card images with photos as well, to keep it consistent, which meant looking for new motifs for all other cards in the game. Furthermore, the cards have text now; given that quite a few members of my game group struggle with the English language (and that the game is already mighty complex as it is), I decided to translate the card and ref sheet texts to make it easier for them to get into the game.

All in all, the project went from a quick "I'll just swap a few images" to a complete overhault rather fast. After an exciting, but industrious month (in which I learned a lot about the many characters in the World of Ice and Fire), I am finally ready to playtest my first draft. Some characters are still being disputed, some attributes might be adapted, and I'm hoping for a few suitable new character additions in the upcoming season 7.

I will gradually add pictures of the new photo cards (and avatars) in the gallery, so check in again in a few days if you are interested in the outcome. Of course, files will become available, too, once I'm past any major revisions. Hopefully, some other people find these useful and enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
This is really great Oliver, I have had the chance of seeing all your files and it is an amazing piece of work!

Congratulations!

Im looking forward to seeing the end result in posted here :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukam Razza
msg tools
great job Oliver. I war trying to do the same a year ago but i was too busy for work, instance
I'd like to have files of your work if possible.
Amazing ))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.