Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pre-Race

Following on from my session report of the first race I had identified a number of shortcomings in my handling of the historical drivers. In particular I had overlooked the fact that they would spend green skill to auto-succeed at tests, so my resource management for them wasn’t quite right as I had been making them roll for tests incorrectly. In any case, I brushed up on the rules so I felt I was less likely to make a substantial cock-up this time.

I had particularly sawn off Nigel Mansell, but since some of the other drivers had also suffered, I decided that instead of giving him a free bonus qualifying bid, he would instead have first choice of strategies and automatically win any qualifying tie without a dice roll. The other drivers would get their strategy choice in reverse order of championship standings (Pastor Maldonado will still always pick last in line with his strategy preference).

Since I had just printed out the PDF of Abu Dhabi and taped it together, I decided that this track would host the next race, which would be 3 laps. For those of you who haven’t seen the Abu Dhabi circuit, it is available to download for free from the CFR Kickstarter campaign page. It is 80 spaces long, a substantial step up from the 54 of Monaco. There are 8 corners and 5 proper straights (proper meaning that there is time to accelerate substantially between corners), the longest of which is 19 spaces.

I adjusted the spec of my car slightly for this race from Monaco, increasing my Top Speed at the expense of wear. In retrospect, I would rather have cut my skill and kept my wear the same. My set up was:
Top Speed: 160, Accelerate: 60, Decelerate: 60, Start Speed: 60, Wear: Laps x6, Skill: 3xlaps +1 Red

Qualifying

I decide to bid 4 green skill. I know that Graham Hill likes to race from the back and this will ensure that I am not at the back of the grid. As it is:

6th Place: As predicted, Graham Hill is at the back, once again bidding nothing at all. He will be running the same strategy as he did in Monaco – Back Standard.

5th Place: Me. So I overspent by 3 skill to stay ahead of Hill, but the good news for me is that just ahead of me is…

4th Place: Pastor Maldonado. Once all the other drivers had chosen, Pastor randomly selected Front X as his strategy for this race. Pastor being here is good news because his slow start speed means that even if I don’t push it at the start and he does I will be level with him, and if he doesn’t push I can pass him immediately.

3rd Place: Nigel Mansell. With first dibs on strategy, Mansell is running a Front B strategy this time round.

2nd Place: Nelson Piquet. Piquet once again spent the most resources and ended up second on the grid because of Jim Clark’s special ability. His strategy today is Even

1st Place: Jim Clark. Clark is on Pole for the second race in a row. His strategy today is Random.

Race

The start unfolds much as you would have expected. Clark nabs the inside line going into turn 1, Piquet’s superior start speed sees him drawn alongside, with Mansell a little behind. Maldonado pushes start speed and I don’t so we are wheel to wheel and Hill trundles away.
What follows is more interesting. Pastor’s strategy sees him spending wear likes its going out of fashion, and his acceleration of 80 and top speed 200 see him rocket through the field and into the lead before the end of lap 1. Mansell takes advantage of some slip to get round Piquet, who falls away. For the second half of lap 1 and the beginning of lap 2, Maldonado continues to throw his car around like there’s no tomorrow while Mansell and Clark jostle for 2nd place. I manage to work my way around Piquet on the long straight around turn 4. Meanwhile, Pastor’s hell for leather approach means that he has used up all of his skill and wear before the halfway point of Lap 2. Consequently, he has to shift into conservation mode and he is quickly eaten up by Clark and Mansell. A short while later I am also able to close with Maldonado, and Hill starts to make his move and is level with Piquet.
Just as lap 3 was about to begin, I became aware of the time, so the race was temporarily suspended for sleep with a view to recommencing after work on Monday evening. The race is finely poised with 3 pairs of drivers in the middle of duels. Jim Clark and Nigel Mansell are level with each other as they enter the start/finish straight. Mansell has more wear left, but Clark is driving a far superior car. I have caught up with Pastor Maldonado and we are about to enter turn 8. Pastor has the top speed and acceleration to leave me for dust on the big straight, but he has no skill or wear left, whereas I still have 5 wear, 5 green and 1 red skill left. Finally, Graham Hill and Nelson Piquet are duking it out a few turns back. Piquet has the advantage in wear, but Hill has more skill left and his car is better.
On resumption, Hill dropped Piquet and both he and I ploughed past Maldonado. Clark and Mansell went at it through the first sector, but then Clark powered away and was not troubled for the rest of the race. Hill and I had more power than Mansell and by the beginning of sector three I had even passed him, but left myself out of position in doing so and he took the place back straight away. Maldonado spun out some distance back, leaving a fair gap to Piquet who trailed by enough that short of someone crashing he looked set for 5th place. Hill got trapped in the penultimate corner due to traffic, so I decided to throw all my remaining resources at an attempt to over-power Mansell through the final turn. Unfortunately, while I had a stack of skill left, I only had 1 wear and I overlooked this when plotting my speed at 60mph over the limit for the final corner. I used 2 green skill to late brake and then spent my red skill on a chance, knowing that If I got through I would end up one space ahead of Mansell. Of course, I rolled an 11 and spun out (my red skill prevented a crash). Mansell eased into 2nd place and Hill was gaining on me. I revved back up to 60mph and pulled out of the corner, but Hill passed me on the start finish straight.
At this point, I think I acted correctly per the rules. Hill had no wear and no skill left, so he plotted 100mph. This would take him over the line and into the first space of corner 1 in either the middle or outside lane. I had plotted 140mph, with a view to testing acceleration with my last skill and trying to overhaul him. Hill could either occupy the first 100 space of the middle lane, or the first 140 space of the outside lane. If he went in the middle lane, I would end up in the 2nd 140 space of the outside lane. The spaces do not align here, so the front of the outside lane is ahead of the front of the middle lane. Both spaces have 1 additional corner space ahead of them. At the time I interpreted this as meaning that the 2nd space of the outside lane was ahead of the 1st space of the middle lane. As such, I had Hill take up position in the outside lane so that I would need to make a forced pass to overtake him. Because he had no wear, he would not attempt to block. As it was, I made the naked dice roll and was able to squeeze past him into the second 140 mph space of the outside lane. I will post this separately for clarification on my decision making.

Piquet tootled home in 5th place and Pastor coaxed his car home in 6th, having damaged the brakes on the way.

Final Classification at Abu Dhabi

1. Jim Clark 10 Points
2. Nigel Mansell 6 Points
3. Rob Stevenson 4 Points
4. Graham Hill 3 Points
5. Nelson Piquet 2 Points
6. Pastor Maldonado 1 Point

Championship Standings after Race 2 of 5

1. Jim Clark 20 points
2. Rob Stevenson 8 points
= Nigel Mansell 8 points
4. Pastor Maldonado 5 points
= Nelson Piquet 5 points
5. Graham Hill 4 points

The next race will be Silverstone, followed by Nurburg, with the championship finishing at Monza, all of which will be 3 lap races. Silverstone will see the debut of my CFR Drone house rules, to fill out the field in place of extra historical drivers and strategy cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested, they can find the report of round 1 here:

Rosie's Solo Championship series - Round 1: Monaco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested to see how your drone rules work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Interested to see how your drone rules work.

I've now used them for the first time, and they seemed to have the effect I was looking for. I will look at how they do in the remaining two races in my solo series and see if anything needs tweaking, but I will probably put my first draft of the rules in the variants forum later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.