Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mendenhall
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have had the game a while, and, re-reading the rule book last night, realized we had unintentionally houseruled reading choices with multiple explore values.

The way we handle them, and will continue to do so is as follows.

Example: The scenelet has two choices:

X: Explore 2, Explore 7
Y: Explore 3.

Reader reads:

Your choices are:

X, starts at Explore 2

Y, Explore 3. (If Y has a single result.)

Player chooses to go for X or Y, deciding after rolling whether or not to injure anyone. If they went for X, they are never told the higher number, but only what the end reward is.

Not knowing what the higher target numbers are makes exploring even more of a gamble, yes, but we feel it is better for the feel of things, and makes for better replayability.

Does anyone else do anything similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, assessing when to push your party for the highest possible lantern result is a pivotal decision in the game and this variant makes that a crap shoot. Injuring several explorers for a particular goal can really set you back and it would be irritating to discover you needlessly overshot the requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not really clear what you're saying.

Do you mean that when there is more than one lantern # for a particular choice, you just read out loud the lower number. E.g. "You can do X and need at least 2, or Y and need at least 3, but either one may have a bigger benefit for a higher number that I'm not going to tell you."

What happens then after they choose one option? Do you then say "Ok, you choose Y. Now you can go for 3 but you'll get a better reward if you can reach 6." Or do you still keep them in the dark: "Ok, you're stopping at 5? Here's your reward. You might have gotten a bigger reward if you had wounded for 1 more but I'm not going to tell you." or even worse "Ok, you're wounding everyone for 8? Here's your reward. You may have only needed 6, but I'm not going to tell you."

I can see the former being viable - you have to make a choice without knowing which one might give the sweetest reward (require the higher number). But then again, it's fun when someone's like "I want to do the good thing that only goes to 4, but the bad thing has a 7 option, which I have a chance of reaching. I want that better reward! Or will it be worth it? I can't decide?!"

The latter, not knowing what threshold you need to meet to get the better reward, would totally suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mendenhall
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have edited the original post, which I hope makes our houserule clear.

Playing with all the information available for each expedition does make choices more of a balancing act, at the cost of rping.

We may try the rule-intended way next time, and see how it changes our play experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mpmuir wrote:

Playing with all the information available for each expedition does make choices more of a balancing act, at the cost of rping.

We may try the rule-intended way next time, and see how it changes our play experience.

Ok, understood. Sorry, but honestly I think that would suck. In your example, let's say I choose X and roll 5 lanterns with 3 villagers. Then I just have to randomly decide do I wound 0,1,2,or 3 villagers, not knowing what I need. That doesn't feel thematic either - it's seems like villagers should be able to choose to jump in front of a lunging monster to get a better reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN WHITE
United States
JANESVILLE
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Mpmuir wrote:

Ok, understood. Sorry, but honestly I think that would suck. In your example, let's say I choose X and roll 5 lanterns with 3 villagers. Then I just have to randomly decide do I wound 0,1,2,or 3 villagers, not knowing what I need. That doesn't feel thematic either - it's seems like villagers should be able to choose to jump in front of a lunging monster to get a better reward.

Same. I'd want to know when to push for that bigger reward. If I only know that I have to get a three, I'm certainly not going to injure people thinking there might be a better reward, or what the threshold for that reward might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.