Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: 3-D Travel Coming to Your Neighborhood Soon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.thedailybeast.com/a-fantastic-flying-car-thats-no...

Not RSP per se, but I firmly believe we will ultimately be traveling in 3D. Apparently, electric vehicles are the wave of the future.

But the article does point out that rules and regulations will need to be formulated for use of this space.

But in todays market, I suspect there are many billionaires, that are more than willing to put their money into this endeavor, which has huge upside market potential. Essentially, the next generation of automobile. And we all know how well the automobile fared.

Jetsons, here we come!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So now we can take all those people who drive slow on the left as well as those who execute triple lane-changes to get to their exit, put them in an environment with no clearly marked lanes, let them go twice as fast, and put people's houses beneath them.

I can see it working.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So now we can take all those people who drive slow on the left as well as those who execute triple lane-changes to get to their exit, put them in an environment with no clearly marked lanes, let them go twice as fast, and put people's houses beneath them.

I can see it working.


If vehicles become auto-drive, lanes won't be needed. Cars will have legal travel paths programmed in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
So now we can take all those people who drive slow on the left as well as those who execute triple lane-changes to get to their exit, put them in an environment with no clearly marked lanes, let them go twice as fast, and put people's houses beneath them.

I can see it working.


If vehicles become auto-drive, lanes won't be needed. Cars will have legal travel paths programmed in.


My brain got to my one-liner before my eyes got to the part about auto-drive.

Still, let me have my moment.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
So now we can take all those people who drive slow on the left as well as those who execute triple lane-changes to get to their exit, put them in an environment with no clearly marked lanes, let them go twice as fast, and put people's houses beneath them.

I can see it working.


If vehicles become auto-drive, lanes won't be needed. Cars will have legal travel paths programmed in.


My brain got to my one-liner before my eyes got to the part about auto-drive.

Still, let me have my moment.


I love you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Trump
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
So now we can take all those people who drive slow on the left as well as those who execute triple lane-changes to get to their exit, put them in an environment with no clearly marked lanes, let them go twice as fast, and put people's houses beneath them.

I can see it working.


If vehicles become auto-drive, lanes won't be needed. Cars will have legal travel paths programmed in.


My brain got to my one-liner before my eyes got to the part about auto-drive.

Still, let me have my moment.


I love you.


You two should so get a flying car. Or a room. In Trump Tower. It would be the best room you two could get.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think flying cars will absolutely require automated driving.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Automatic driving cars need to get here in three years when my son turns 16. There's now a deadline.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
We better back up. We don't have enough road to get up to 88.


Where we're going, we don't need roads.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
Automatic driving cars need to get here in three years when my son turns 16. There's now a deadline.


You mean Robin?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already travel in 4D, there are loads of hills where I live and time flies.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't buy it. The cost of a vehicle that can safely fly will be orders of magnitude greater than for a vehicle that can roll. Even more so for energy costs. I expect there will be specialized applications like police or ambulances but for the average driver, it won't be worth the extra expense.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I don't buy it. The cost of a vehicle that can safely fly will be orders of magnitude greater than for a vehicle that can roll. Even more so for energy costs. I expect there will be specialized applications like police or ambulances but for the average driver, it won't be worth the extra expense.

In principle, it might be an approach to dealing with overcrowded roads, but I think improving public transportation and other standard methods of public planning would be far more cost effective.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhat ironically, I could see an argument being put forth that personal robotic aircraft would be less risky than self-driving surface vehicles.

We have decades of experience with auto-piloted airliners. Granted that's still not full-blown AI, and a system of millions of personal flying cars would bring many new challenges into the aviation milieu, at least we would start from a position of known pitfalls and have a body of experience to work with.

In contrast, we haven't begun to scratch the surface with smart road vehicles. The railroads are struggling mightily to implement Positive Train Control, and even that's not full-blown AI. From everything I've read, the decision parameters in trying to program an actual driving robot are nightmarish.

EDIT: I agree with the above posts that opine that personal flying craft will probably not be cost-effective nor energy-efficient. I'm thinking only of the safety concerns at the moment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I don't buy it. The cost of a vehicle that can safely fly will be orders of magnitude greater than for a vehicle that can roll. Even more so for energy costs. I expect there will be specialized applications like police or ambulances but for the average driver, it won't be worth the extra expense.


I imagine people said similar things about the horseless carriage. It was expensive, dangerous, unreliable, ugly, and just plain wrong. Until it wasn't.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
aiabx wrote:
I don't buy it. The cost of a vehicle that can safely fly will be orders of magnitude greater than for a vehicle that can roll. Even more so for energy costs. I expect there will be specialized applications like police or ambulances but for the average driver, it won't be worth the extra expense.


I imagine people said similar things about the horseless carriage. It was expensive, dangerous, unreliable, ugly, and just plain wrong. Until it wasn't.


I know they said similar things about private helicopters as replacements for cars.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:

The problem with flight is that it takes energy to climb up within an energy well. Specifically,

E=mgh,

for mass m, height h, and local acceleration due to gravity g~9.8 m/S^2. Climbing down the energy well rather than falling takes the same energy. In contrast, a train or a truck stays on the surface and go no energy is expended that way. Both methods then expend energy going from point A to point B. The advantage of flying is speed.

So for flight to be worthwhile the advantage of speed needs to overcome the disadvantage of limits of mass and increased energy cost.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying cars will be a luxury item to start with, I'm sure. But as the technology becomes cheaper and more accepted, the price of such vehicles will come down and us rabble will enjoy our flying death machines that terrify me and my fear of heights.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
aiabx wrote:
I don't buy it. The cost of a vehicle that can safely fly will be orders of magnitude greater than for a vehicle that can roll. Even more so for energy costs. I expect there will be specialized applications like police or ambulances but for the average driver, it won't be worth the extra expense.


I imagine people said similar things about the horseless carriage. It was expensive, dangerous, unreliable, ugly, and just plain wrong. Until it wasn't.


I know they said similar things about private helicopters as replacements for cars.


Still require pilots though. Auto-drive helicopters on the other hand, might become affordable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

The problem with flight is that it takes energy to climb up within an energy well. Specifically,

E=mgh,

for mass m, height h, and local acceleration due to gravity g~9.8 m/S^2. Climbing down the energy well rather than falling takes the same energy. In contrast, a train or a truck stays on the surface and go no energy is expended that way. Both methods then expend energy going from point A to point B. The advantage of flying is speed.

So for flight to be worthwhile the advantage of speed needs to overcome the disadvantage of limits of mass and increased energy cost.


There is a reason "as the crow flies" is still in use after all of these years. Not to mention a booming worldwide airline industry.

Every flying car I've seen so far has seemed stupid and not viable. But I don't think there is something inherently implausible about the idea. I think the potential for many layers of speed and efficiency improvements could make the cost worth it. Well, not at first. It's never worth it at first. That's why it's called the "bleeding edge".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to think that unless two things happen in the near future - global warming is proven to be a conspiracy between China and worldwide climate scientists, and fusion power becomes cheap and widely available - economic and political energy use constraints will kill flying cars dead. It's too wasteful to fly short distances when rolling is much more efficient.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1876: This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication." — William Orton, President of Western Union.

1889: “Fooling around with alternating current (AC) is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.” — Thomas Edison

1903: “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company.

1946: "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." — Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox.


Laughs, predictions gone wrong in the past.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
1876: This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication." — William Orton, President of Western Union.

1889: “Fooling around with alternating current (AC) is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.” — Thomas Edison

1903: “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — President of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Company.

1946: "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." — Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox.


Laughs, predictions gone wrong in the past.

1940 "Mark my words: a combination airplane and motorcar is coming. You may smile, but it will come." - Henry Ford.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.