Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do both players have the game permanently set up? Are they drawing from a common set of shuffled decks? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually they use Vassal

vassalengine.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
Usually they use Vassal

vassalengine.org

Oh, that makes perfect sense, thanks. I haven't used Vassal though I've seen it on YouTube. The Vassal "game" can maintain state over a long period of time I assume. In effect the game can be in play with the game saved over a matter of weeks?

I'll have to investigate getting the software. It's probably the only way I will have to play this game with someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can save the game and just send you moves out as log files that the other player can load and watch. It's kind of like the old playing chess by mail.

It's how I've been doing it.

You see it on the forums because it's viewed as the "fair" way of doing things since you can technically cheat by not saving your turn until the die rolls in your favor or by stacking the deck before an auction. So instead they make the decks random and randomly choose the top card of each deck here on the forum until the deck has been gone through completely once (and then it's completely deterministic).

Also, all the die rolling is done on the forums so no one cheats.

I think it's kind of crazy. If you're going to cheat, why are you bothering to play? Is winning that important? And hell, I'm such a lousy player, I don't think anyone needs to cheat to beat me, so I don't bother, but some people are hardcore around these parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Looks like it's going to be harder than I thought it might. My Mac won't even open the Vassal dmg. Plus it seems to use Java which is a potential security problem. I might have to investigate a virtual machine of some kind to run it in.

I suspect I could get the file to open -- probably a security setting somewhere but then there's the Java thing. Or I'd have to devote a machine to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's Java.

You can also do it using Cyberboard, which isn't used nearly as often, but is still a way to do it. I find it runs much faster than Vassal because it doesn't use Java.

I only haven't figured out how to do the blind bids for Elections using that program yet. (and it took me WAAAYYY too long to figure out how to shuffle the patent decks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most user friendly way is through virtual tabletop, though that is $20. (On the other hand, you can play almost any board game for free after that.)

Cyberboard and vassal are good options if you are good with computers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
The most user friendly way is through virtual tabletop, though that is $20. (On the other hand, you can play almost any board game for free after that.)

Cyberboard and vassal are good options if you are good with computers.

Do you mean Tabletop Simulator or Tabletopia? I have the former and I wouldn't call it the most user friendly way to play HF. Or any other long game where it's impossible to have everybody around the same table for the duration. (Actually I find it a complete waste of money, but that's probably just retarded/old fashiioned me.)

Friends will not play HF in real time (real or virtual) and Vassal PBEM via vlogs+dropbox+email is what has made it really shine for me.

BTW, Gastonguy, we do roll for the top card even after each deck has gone through completely once. And when you invest months in a single epic PBEM game having to roll each time on the forum is really a minor waste of time. And it preempts any possible argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have found a solution. I have used an old iMac to download Java to that machine (no critical data) and then downloaded Vassal. It seems to work. Now I see that there are a lot of High Frontier modules there. Do I want 2.7.0? Which version of High Frontier is that? I have V3 in boardgame form but I know it's not that different from previous versions.

Presumably I will need to download and run a module. Then of course I will need to figure out how it all works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just GM'd you a link.

I think the Vassal page still only has 2nd edition mods. Not sure why. I guess because the 3rd edition mods are still considered version 0.4, so it's not done yet?

I dunno.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Vassal+high+frontier+3

2nd link listed, which is to a BGG thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VirtualBox is free virtual machine manager you can download and use.

Make an Ubuntu virtual machine (free Linux operating system; very user friendly), then get Java and VASSAL.

That's what I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.