Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to demo a few rounds of this at the 2017 Origins Game Fair, so this is just a brief impression.

The game is basically turning stuff into other stuff to get the stuff you want.

But its really great! In fact let me be 100% clear, it took like 5 minutes of playing to realize this is a GREAT game! Why? Because you have to negotiate right out of the gate to get anything. In fact, I was cutting deals and making crazy trades before I even totally understood how everything worked. And I loved it! It was so much fun to just jump into the fray like that.

All the player's races behaved in very unique and interesting ways. It is very asymmetrical. So I could see the replayability of this being off the charts.

However...

It's almost devoid of art, and that personally killed it for me. The player screens and reference sheets have a nice illustration of the alien you are playing. But the rest is just a sea of arrows and cube symbols surrounded by basic Photoshop 'outer glow' and 'gradient' effects. (It's not prototype level art, but it's not far off either.)

Obviously art and design are subjective, but they are extremely important elements for me. This otherwise excellent game fell very low in that department. The graphic design is strictly functional.

But if you feel that gameplay is far more important than the appearance of a game, then I think this is going to make you very happy and I hope you give it a try.

Like I say, I only had a few rounds but the fun potential is very high for this one; I just wish the graphic design wasn't so low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the age-old "functional vs. pretty" debate. Both of those things are important, but often they force a trade-off.

For this game, I find it important for the components to be functional, so I'm willing to accept the fact that there won't be as much room for art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice now, and it continues to get better. I agree with the functional comment. Plus the faction sheets are plenty arty and tons of theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.