Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I "value" the trading cards: "What is the point improvement that is made to your total collection when you play a card?"

Most of the cards in the deck are 2 point cards. Playing these improves your cube-point total by 2. For instance...
yellowtrainyellowtrain (starting card)
or
greentraingreentrain E redtrainredtrainredtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain

About a dozen are 3 point cards. For instance...
greentrain E redtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain
or
NNN

about 10 or so are 4 point cards. Playing these improve your cube-point total by 4. For instance...
yellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain
or
yellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain E greentraingreentraingreentrain

Then there are the seemingly low-value 1 point cards. For instance...
yellowtrainyellowtrain E greentrain
or
redtrain E yellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain

However, most of the 1 point cards are very easy to do "multiple" actions. One of my favorite cards in the game is the 1 point yellowtrainredtrain E "Brown" because it can be used up to 5 times in a turn AND reduces the number of cubes you have after the move rather than boosting the number of cubes.

I'm still trying to figure out how to properly "value" in terms of adding them to my hand these cards that are nicely setup for multiple uses on a single-turn. The Red+Yellow E Brown can be a perfect 5 point use that "suddenly" yields 5 browns and allows you to take the 20 point 5-brown scoring card on the next turn.

I've added little post-it labels to my cards (under the sleeves) to facilitate this method of valuing the cards -- purely as a convenience.
Click to zoom-in

I find this method of valuing the cards reasonably useful since a lot of the game is about the race to gather points to buy the scoring cards. These point totals AREN'T the "end all" in card value because you still need to be able to yield the colors you need AND cards that can be easily used for multiple-plays in a single turn are worth a lot.

Do you guys find this a "useful" way to think about these cards or not?

If you do this differently, what method do you use for figuring out which card to gather on your turn?

My quick and dirty review is that this has become one of my favorite games -- I've played it a bunch since Origins and expect that my wife will ask to play it again this evening. I've bumped it up from my initial 9 rating to a 10 (will play anytime) -- becoming only my 2nd game rated a 10 (viticulture/tuscany is the other).

The solo-game found in the files section of BGG is pretty good, too. I'm just not sure it's properly balanced yet -- I need to play it solo a bunch more times and keep some statistics to better estimate the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:

about 10 or so are 4 point cards. Playing these improve your cube-point total by 4.

yellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrainyellowtrain E greentraingreentraingreentrain

Then there are the seemingly low-value 1 point cards. For instance...
yellowtrainyellowtrain E greentrain

For me the point value of the trade is not as important as the flexibility.

In your example the 4 point card also has a higher barrier to use, both might be good cards to have, but the 1 point card allows more flexibility if you just need 1-2 more green.

So personally, I'd take the 1 point card first, then maybe grab that 4 point card later if it happened to make sense with what I had going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
You can trade in multiple spice cubes with the same cards. You need to factor that in to your decision too.

Some cards make this much easier to take advantage of than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
You can trade in multiple spice cubes with the same cards. You need to factor that in to your decision too.

Some cards make this much easier to take advantage of than others.

As he stated in his post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two additional plays last night where I focused on doing as many "multiple-play" cards as I could.

This is a very powerful approach and I won both games by large margins (30+ points) because it allowed me to pile up points faster.

So, as to my original question of "How should I value the multi-play cards?" I think the answer is higher than I originally thought. I knew they were nice boosters but they end up being quite powerful. Especially if your opponent is playing the base strategy and not focusing on multi-play cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt F
msg tools
Buffering
badge
mbmb
30+ points? What on earth were your opponents doing?

That's something in the area of a ten turn advantage in a twenty turn game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you have more than one player gunning for a goal card, and taking it sets them back so they can't get to the next goal card in time. If you plan well, you can get two goals before someone else.

Some engines take a few steps to get going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nosferatu
msg tools
Hey everyone,

I am new to the game, only played it once.

But what do you mean with "multi-play cards" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stybart wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am new to the game, only played it once.

But what do you mean with "multi-play cards" ?

I think what OP meant by "multi-play" if the fact that many players forget that when a card is played, the spice exchanged it allows can be done MULTIPLE TIMES". You yes, as stated the increase in points from a given car may only be +1 or +2, but if when playing you do MULTIPLE conversions (essentially using that ability more than once), then the power of that card becomes all that much powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.