Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Chronicles 1: Origins» Forums » General

Subject: Essen 2017? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just recently found out about this one and I'm pretty intrigued. Any chance to get a glimpse at Essen this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Things have been pretty dark on this for a while now. It was originally scheduled to have a Kickstarter campaign a little over a year ago, but as far as I can tell, that never happened. Given how little has come out on this, I doubt there will be anything about it at Essen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great to get some sort of official update on this. Did they decide to do a complete overhaul on the game? Do they have the Chronicles I done, but want to solidify Chronicles II so that they can ensure a smooth transition between the two? Did they cancel the project entirely, so we should unsubscribe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The last thing I remember is that they had the first game mostly done, but they decided to do an overhaul of the entire chronicles system to make sure that the system for transitioning between each title in the series is as refined as possible. They said that the ability to do that adds another dimension of complexity that makes it exponentially more difficult than just a stand-alone legacy game.

I am really looking forward to this one when they finally figure it out, so hopefully there is an update on its status sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
The last thing I remember is that they had the first game mostly done, but they decided to do an overhaul of the entire chronicles system to make sure that the system for transitioning between each title in the series is as refined as possible. They said that the ability to do that adds another dimension of complexity that makes it exponentially more difficult than just a stand-alone legacy game.

I am really looking forward to this one when they finally figure it out, so hopefully there is an update on its status sometime soon.

do you recall where you heard this? Was it that Game Design Podcast? I'd be interesting in listening to it if you recall. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Pousette
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. I would like to read/hear that as well.

I would really like to play this game (series) and I hope it sees the day of light eventually, but as of right now Im in no hurry to play it(buy it). With gloomhaven, Pandemic Legacy season 2, first Martians, Kingdom death and Gaia project (Terra mystica sequel) I think I'm set for the rest of the year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I heard of it was in a podcast interview. The designer said for this concept to work he had to make sure that the first games were not only good but great to ensure that the following games could be published afterwards.
And that at this point the games weren't there yet, and that he would take the needed time to make sure of it before launching a kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From their April 2017 newsletter:

Quote:
And don't worry - we haven't forgotten about Chronicles either! We're feeling really great about the current state of the game and we expect this to headline as our fall Kickstarter. Yes, we'd like it sooner, but we're making sure we get it right. We'll be sharing a lot more about Chronicles over the coming months and you might even get a chance to catch a demo at our booth over the summer con season...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you finding newsletters? I've been to their website dozens of times and it still has October 2016 as the most recent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
How are you finding newsletters? I've been to their website dozens of times and it still has October 2016 as the most recent...

Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They sent out a newsletter via email in April, primarily to announce the Tesla vs Edison Duel Kickstarter campaign. They hadn't sent a newsletter out previous to that since November 2016, and haven't sent one since April, fwiw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Krumick
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
UNLV
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what the status is on this game. However, last November they had a booth at BGG Con doing demos of this game. I was excited to give it a try. We played what was presented as a full game that took about an hour to 90 minutes to finish. The game was rather meh. It had some interesting ideas and maybe with some more fleshing out it could be good. The one thing that struck me as odd was once the game is over is that the game is intended to just be played one time (at least this is what the demo person lead our group to believe), and then you carry your "experience" over into the next game in the timeline.

One game? We asked the demo person to clarify and it was one game. The game was supposedly going to include enough materials so that you could "replay" that one game about 10 times with other groups, or the same group if you prefer, so that you could have different results to carry over to the next game in line.

This game at that current time, felt very incomplete and I couldn't imagine only playing a single game before having to purchase another game to continue the experience. We were very disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fr33py wrote:
... I couldn't imagine only playing a single game before having to purchase another game to continue the experience. We were very disappointed.

If it costs $15 like the one-and-done Exit games, then I could see an argument. For $40-$60, a single play is harder to palate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fr33py wrote:
Not sure what the status is on this game. However, last November they had a booth at BGG Con doing demos of this game. I was excited to give it a try. We played what was presented as a full game that took about an hour to 90 minutes to finish. The game was rather meh. It had some interesting ideas and maybe with some more fleshing out it could be good. The one thing that struck me as odd was once the game is over is that the game is intended to just be played one time (at least this is what the demo person lead our group to believe), and then you carry your "experience" over into the next game in the timeline.

One game? We asked the demo person to clarify and it was one game. The game was supposedly going to include enough materials so that you could "replay" that one game about 10 times with other groups, or the same group if you prefer, so that you could have different results to carry over to the next game in line.

This game at that current time, felt very incomplete and I couldn't imagine only playing a single game before having to purchase another game to continue the experience. We were very disappointed.

the description of the game from artana seems to contradict what you experienced. this references a "series of play sessions" and then the echo system where one complete game carries to the next. it also says the first installment will include games in one box.

maybe a lot changed in a year? strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recollection was that you play a series of games in which players take the roles of competing interests within a single tribe, and by the end of a game (or maybe several games) you had a developed tribe. Then you repeat that for additional tribes. Then those tribes (which were each created by the players as a group) become factions for the next stage of the game, with each player playing one of the tribes against the other player tribes. Over the whole campaign (involving, I think, four additional expansions) the tribes develop into city states, then nations. I kind of remember there being two "stages" per game box, though I don't recall the details.

At least, that's what I recall hearing or reading, though it may have been redesigned heavily since then. It would help if they released updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
My recollection was that you play a series of games in which players take the roles of competing interests within a single tribe, and by the end of a game (or maybe several games) you had a developed tribe. Then you repeat that for additional tribes. Then those tribes (which were each created by the players as a group) become factions for the next stage of the game, with each player playing one of the tribes against the other player tribes. Over the whole campaign (involving, I think, four additional expansions) the tribes develop into city states, then nations. I kind of remember there being two "stages" per game box, though I don't recall the details.

At least, that's what I recall hearing or reading, though it may have been redesigned heavily since then. It would help if they released updates.

this sounds really interesting and unique but i want to make sure i understand it. so the first series of games all 5 players let's say are competing for supremacy as part Tribe X. It's a competitive game but everything all players are doing is defining the future of Tribe X. Once that series is complete, we got back and do the same thing for Tribe Z. This repeats until there are enough tribes for each player to claim one. You then move on to a second phase where each of you takes on one of the tribes you collectively defined in the first round?

if that's the case it sounds very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
Becq wrote:

this sounds really interesting and unique but i want to make sure i understand it. so the first series of games all 5 players let's say are competing for supremacy as part Tribe X. It's a competitive game but everything all players are doing is defining the future of Tribe X. Once that series is complete, we got back and do the same thing for Tribe Z. This repeats until there are enough tribes for each player to claim one. You then move on to a second phase where each of you takes on one of the tribes you collectively defined in the first round?

if that's the case it sounds very cool.

Yes, that is how the game was initially pitched. Who knows where this game is in development though. I would absolutely love an update because as they originally described it it sounded like my dream game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Daviau said at the tail end of his BGG interview at Gen Con for Fireball Island that Chronicles is on a bit of a hiatus. Dirk also just said yesterday on Twitter that a Kickstarter for Chronicles: Origins is at least a year away:

https://twitter.com/dknemeyer/status/907374491185156098

So at this point we're looking at a 2019 release at the earliest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
Rob Daviau said at the tail end of his BGG interview at Gen Con for Fireball Island that Chronicles is on a bit of a hiatus. Dirk also just said yesterday on Twitter that a Kickstarter for Chronicles: Origins is at least a year away:

https://twitter.com/dknemeyer/status/907374491185156098

So at this point we're looking at a 2019 release at the earliest.

Of course, in 2019, we'll be at least a year away from the Kickstarter, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
The recent Newsletter says that Chronicles has been moved to 2018, so the game isn't dead. Yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks that these guys are so popular as game designers that we are salivating for even news on this stinking game. Me ... I couldn't design a game to keep a bunch of 5 year olds occupied at a birthday party, or rather, I am afraid to even try and see if I could design a game.

Sigh

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.