Terraforming Mars» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tyrell Corporation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
I don't understand the Tyrell Corporation card:
1-it is said that as an action the player can adds 2 ressources on a space or building card:
from where do the 2 ressources come from: player or the bank
2-on the card there are "science" logos, like it looks it's possible to add 2 sciences (or double sciences), not ressources, so I find the card very unclear

Thank you for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card isn't in front of me and I don't remember it but, if I recall the rules correctly it would make sense that:

Resources come from the bank just as you would add a resource to any other card.

The science logos count towards cards that require you to play a certain amount of science cards or reward you with something based on science symbols played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a corporation card? I don't seem to have it, though I think I have them all (12 unique + 5 starter for 17 total, which matches the count in the components list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrell corporation? There is no such corporation in the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err... I have played TM although I don't actually own it, but I'm pretty sure that there's no such "Tyrell Corporation" nor do I remember any effect similar to the one you're describing. Could you take a picture of the card you're referring to?

Anyway, the logos in corporate cards are exactly the same as the ones in your other cards. They count towards effects checking how many given symbols do you have in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it one of the many fan-made corporations? If so, it would make more sense to ask about it in the thread from the person who designed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
rocksnrolls wrote:
Is it one of the many fan-made corporations? If so, it would make more sense to ask about it in the thread from the person who designed it

Perhaps fan-made, by a fan of Game of Thrones?

Anyway, correct, this corporation does not exist in the game as published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

More likely a fan of Blade Runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:

Blade Runner, more likely.
Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gartch Gartch
msg tools
mb
Hello,

it's is in the vassal module, sorry I didn't know it was not an official Corporationblush

And I asked for the science logo, because there is one on top right, and I know this one is for end game condition, but there is one on the line describing the action (with red arrows), well anyway nevermind, I will not play with it if it's not official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be moved to variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's a fan made Corporation. I recall reading that name somewhere.

There's no such Corporation in the Base game, for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gartch wrote:
Hello,

it's is in the vassal module, sorry I didn't know it was not an official Corporationblush

And I asked for the science logo, because there is one on top right, and I know this one is for end game condition, but there is one on the line describing the action (with red arrows), well anyway nevermind, I will not play with it if it's not official.

The vassal module is a illegal version of the game itself. It is a copyright fringe to re-create a game like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

All these kings would do a deal better if they put down their swords and listened to their mothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said it's not an official corporation but it sounds like you have a general confusion about the iconography and about "special" resources, so I'll try to clarify a little.

In general a round symbol is always a tag, and a square symbol is always a resource. That distinction is especially important because some symbols are identical except for being round vs. square (plant tag vs. resource, microbe tag vs. resource, animal tag vs. resource, science tag vs. resource) and others are pretty similar (steel vs. building tag, titanium vs. space tag). Those similar symbols are usually related but they represent different things. The text usually distinguishes them clearly (might be less clear in an unofficial corporation...) but it's good to know the iconography too.

So tags are the round symbols on the top right of cards and corporations. The only way (at least within the currently published official content) to gain new tags is by playing cards. Effects can count your existing tags or get triggered when you play specific ones, but they never create new tags.

Resources can either be the six standard resources on your player board or "special" resources that are added to cards. The card itself defines the type of resources that can be added to it and how they are used (which is btw why that Tyrell corporation seems pretty weird - adding resources to any building/space card? Most of them can't have resources on them!)

Currently the special resources are: microbes, animals, fighters and science resources. Microbes and animals are important to define as such because several cards interact with those resource types (add them to other cards or kill them). Fighters and science resources seem to only have names and icons for thematic reasons - fighters are only used in one card (security fleet) and science resources are used in three IIRC, and there are no cards that interact specifically with those resource types. Animal, Microbe and science resources have the same icon as the respective tags except it's square instead of round. That's why it sounds to me like the Tyrell corporation is supposed to place science resources on cards (which is again weird because only 3 cards are supposed to be able to store them and they are pretty different in how they utilize them...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
rocksnrolls wrote:

Anyway, correct, this corporation does not exist in the game as published.

No, I don't think it would have been a fan of Game of Thrones.

I think any reference to the "Tyrell Corporation" would be in reference to Blade Runner, which would fit perfectly with the theme and timeframe of Terraforming Mars.

EDIT: Triple ninja'ed! Darn it, Chris, read the ENTIRE thread before starting to think you look smart!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"A new life awaits YOU in the offworld colonies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suddenly feel a dire need for GoT-themed corporations. Lannister Corp would just have a whole lot of money but would have a rule that 'Lannisters always pay their debts', so they are required to do a certain amount of terraforming and have a VP penalty if they don't. Their ability would probably be something like getting a bonus if you're buying multiple cards of the same type (blue, red, green, etc.) in the same turn, as Lannisters like to keep it in the family.

Starks would probably get some kind of bonus when putting cities, greeneries, or oceans on Northern hexes of the Mars and would start with some free cards because of their excellent relationships.

Targaryans would probably have a bonus on space events since so many of them are asteroids and such and that seems fiery. Maybe every time they play a space event, they get to add a 'dragon' to their corporation card and then maybe those convert into VPs at some rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.