Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How well can you explain a Euro game so that it generates excitement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've often wrestled the fact that with newer gamers, I can't "sell them" on Euro games. Do I just flat out avoid the theme? I love Agricola and Thurn and Taxis and other Euros but I find the theme is a bear to get around.

How do you guys describe Euros to newer gamers where the theme might impact that person's decision to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just let my enthusiasm for the game show. Usually the theme in euros interests the people I talk to. Or sometimes I talk about an interesting mechanism in the game, or how awesome the components are. If they're not interested of course you can't make them play, so it kind of depends on the person.

I don't think I ever pull Agricola: ACBS out without saying, "And look at the cute little animals!" It either gets an "Aww!" or a chuckle, depending on who I'm talking to. I could do the same thing with Fields of Arle, which I love, but that game is so hefty that I don't introduce it to newbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to sell them on how the game plays. Themes on Euros don't usually mean that much anyway.

Show Manager is a set collection game where you have to borrow against previous completed sets to fund collecting new ones. I like the mechanism and it plays very well with 6. When I told a friend the theme was putting on musicals, he refused to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the tune of "My Favorite Things"...

Dealing in high art, stomping grapes on the pad,
Herding the cattle, oh the fun you will have.

Roaming the landscape in big mech-y ways,
These are some of my favorite euro games!

Building from rubble, carving cuddle rooms,
Survive all the plagues, market yummy food.

Terraform planets so they're never the same,

Appease aztec gods, navigate the canals,
Design the best cars, explore space with your pals.

Fighting for dominance of the pre-ice age,

So when it's only
Clue and Sorry,
And it makes me sad...
I simply remember my favorite euro games,
And then I don't feel so bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Focus on mechanics and downplay the theme. If they say they don't like the theme, tell them it is pasted on and its the mechanics and gameplay that make it shine.

Also, figure out if they like more interactive games or more multiplayer solitaire. If they like screwage, then emphasise those types of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It's not just about the German post office, it's about 16th CENTURY German post office.

If that doesn't wow them, offer to buy them a beer if they try it and don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be brutally honest about the game.

Village: you try to kill off your iwn family members in a race to the cemetery in order to claim tbe best graves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha...good question! I remember going on a camping trip last year, and I wanted to teach my Dad and his friends something other than Scrabble, so I brought Catan. They asked what it was about, and I said, "Oh it's a game about managing resources like brick and wood and sheep"...they looked at me as if I had farted in their face. Hilarious! They loved the game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Village: you try to kill off your iwn family members in a race to the cemetery in order to claim tbe best graves

Agricola: you are enslaving, exploiting and slaughtering animals and whoever does it the best wins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say 'this is a good game. Trust me, play'.

If they don't listen, they are idiots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I've got just the games that will renew your love for Monopoly!"

"Exhausted from all that player interaction and chance generated excitement in those old games? I've got your solution. You'll just need some coffee and a smart phone with some games on it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those games that are commonly labeled "Euro games" excitement is not a design objective. I wouldn't even try.

Pete (thinks you either enjoy the analysis or you don't, but you're generally not in that type of game for the thrill of it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meet them halfway. Find a Euro that has a theme that isn't utterly dull. (I know that's a hard task, but I'm sure it's feasible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeChNoWC wrote:
jmsmith2434 wrote:

Agricola: you are enslaving, exploiting and slaughtering animals and whoever does it the best wins

Don't leave out the abusive child labor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
How do you guys describe Euros to newer gamers where the theme might impact that person's decision to play?

I don't. I schedule my game days with a specific euro outright stated as the first game we'll play. Once that game is over, people can play whatever they fancy.

They know what they're getting into when they agree to come over. devil

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peer pressure. Hey, it worked for smoking.

Make sure you have more euro-converts present, enough to outnumber invitees handily, and invite only 1 or 2 unsuspecting 'other' gamers over. Unless they are natural nonconformists, they will want to fit in and go along. If they enjoy themselves in spite of their preconceptions, enough to show up again, they're safely done. Move on to the next target.

If not, write them off and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Meet them halfway. Find a Euro that has a theme that isn't utterly dull. (I know that's a hard task, but I'm sure it's feasible).

This. Not all Euros have dry boring ass themes.

Dungeon Petz has a really fun theme, and great art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Expect for the whole - completely coincidental - free food when the pet dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ask them if you want to be a farmer, a cowboy, a pet monster shop owner, a merchant, a vintner or a hotelier, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Expect for the whole - completely coincidental - free food when the pet dies.

It could be worse. Only the old Petz are killed off... not the puppies or kittens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am one of these Europhobic players, and for me, the theme is ALL that matters. Terra Mystica is probably the most Euro game in the world, but because it's about a fantasy kingdom full of nonhuman races, I was willing to put in the effort. Nobody is ever going to convince me to make dresses in "Rococo" or to sit down for a session of "Industrial Waste", but you could probably convince me to play functionally identical games if you simply reskinned them so that Rococo was now about crafting magic items, and Industrial Waste was redone into a boardgame version of Mystic Vale. (Fantasy isn't the ONLY theme I go for, but it is a very versatile one; I can even imagine a version of "Campaign Manager 2008" which is about a competition between white and black wizards. Games about dinosaurs and Egypt are two of my other mainstays, but I tend to have more expectations about specific things that those games ought to have, in order not to seem "tacked on". One of the few really heavy Euros I actually will play is Egizia, which is probably the most Egyptian game ever made; I don't think I've ever seen a Dinosaur Euro, but if I do, I'm likely to try it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with April, your enthusiasm should shine through. Maybe I'm weird, but I find Agricola to be pretty thematically engaging and I usually pitch it by saying "This is easily the best ever game about subsistence agriculture in medieval Germany!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
collectible cardinal wrote:
I am one of these Europhobic players, and for me, the theme is ALL that matters. Terra Mystica is probably the most Euro game in the world, but because it's about a fantasy kingdom full of nonhuman races, I was willing to put in the effort.

This. I have near zero interest in re-enacting colonial settlement of Puerto Rico, but it's space-themed nephew Roll for the Galaxy is one of my favorites. Similarly, the generic fantasy theme put me off of Terra Mystica so hard, but I am mad pumped for the space retheme.
I don't think I've ever seen a Dinosaur Euro, but if I do, I'm likely to try it.)

Hmm...how do you feel about the ice age?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Williams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Similarly, the generic fantasy theme put me off of Terra Mystica so hard, but I am mad pumped for the space retheme.

Arooouuh? I must haz details....

Hmm...how do you feel about the ice age?

I did think of that one, but it doesn't have actual dinosaurs, despite the box art; it just has "reptiles". A general "evolution" theme COULD work for me, but it's not as good as "Dinosaurs" specifically, and also Dominant Species is like a 4-hour game, which has deterred me hard from putting in the effort to learn it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Similarly, the generic fantasy theme put me off of Terra Mystica so hard, but I am mad pumped for the space retheme.

Arooouuh? I must haz details....

Enjoy: Gaia Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.