Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Day 1

Vista ran in through the city gate three days back. It really caused an uproar. She was sobbing and mumbling about Orcs and wolves and goblins. Her clothes were a mess and she had cuts and bites all over her body. She had been soaked with blood, though whether hers or her parents, no one knew. Patches had been called to tend to the child's wounds while she recounted the tale of a crazy goblin with bombs, which had command over the things that lived in the forest. Her parents were lost in the attack.

The council sat in somber silence before leaving Vista to Patches. The reconvened that night, asking for brave gearlocs to go out and put a stop to this mad menace. Well, of course I volunteered. I am the best gearloc for the job, and I would not trust it to anyone else. Patches stood uncomfortably, Vista's arms wrapped around his hips. I do not know if he went because of the adventure (not likely), or if he went to get away from the girl. He was always a little odd around others.

Boomer was next. That girl never has a frown on her face, but even though she smiled, you could see a steely determination behind those eyes, not unlike my own. Ghillie was last, calling from the back of the hall. He was always at the edge of the perimeter. I guess it is a side effect of being the best scout there is.

That next day, the four of us met with the council to discuss battle plans and any information that could be given to us. It seemed that this particular goblin likened himself as a king, and even had a throne and everything. He was also very crazy. Using some maps that Ghillie had fashioned, we decided on a route, allowing for decent camp sites along the way. I was a little annoyed at Boomer if I am being honest with myself. She seemed to think this adventure would be all rainbows and sunshine.

Today there was a party for the four of us 'heroes.' I was only there for a few minutes to make an appearance, so I cannot really say what went on. I spent the rest of my time getting my knapsack ready, my sword sharpened, and testing the sturdiness of my best shield. At the end, Boomer, Ghillie, and Patches showed up and we went over things again. There was a merchant in town, but we decided to steer clear, instead, steeling our nerves against the coming days and weeks. Who knew what we would face out there. But I knew, as long as the others had me as their leader, and we had a good plan in place, we would make this mad king pay for spilling the blood of Vista's parents.

Our honor, and our stature in the world, depends on how we do. Until tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Day 2

Man, I am so glad we were able to come together as a team last night. We were able to find holes in each others fighting and were able to take the criticism to heart. It became a great team building exercise, though I do have to say, I do not want to be on the wrong end of Patches bone saw. I wonder when the last time he cleaned it was. This morning, our bags packed, and a small mule given to us by the local constabulary, we got ready to trudge off.

Ghillie left early in the morning, right after we ate some breakfast (probably our last full meal for a while), and decided to scout out the day's path. I figured he would take longer than 10 minutes, but he came back, nursing a few scratches, I assume from a tree, and spoke in a quiet voice.

"Right outside the wall. The Goblin King has sent his minions and they do not want to talk."

I sat back on my knapsack and chewed on that thought for a second. I then pulled my sword from it's scabbard and let the jewel glint in the morning sun so that it caught the attention of my companions. I held it as menacingly as I could, pointing toward the gate.

"It seems to me, that we need to start this crusade off right. Vista needs to be avenged. Everyone, behind me. Let us teach these wild things that there are consequences. They have prodded the sleeping viper, and shall now taste its venomous fang."

Well, I do not want to toot my own horn, but I think I sufficiently riled up my compatriots. I nodded solemnly to the men at the gate. One called to another in the gear house to raise the gate. With an audible chunk, it started moving upward. Our families pooled in behind us and offered us cheers of encouragement.

Bolstered by friends and family, we walked out, necks straight, ears pointed up, and chests puffed out. Well, that was me at least. I think Patches was downright sulking.

Ahead of us, just out of range of the city archers, was our enemy. I gestured to them to take leave of their duties, to watch and be amazed at the battle prowess of we gearlocs. I doubt they took us seriously, but they obliged my request.

Stepping outside of the walls, with the gate at our back and closing, it finally sunk in that there was no going home until this was finished. As the gate finally closed, our prey left their hiding places, knowing they would be getting some sport. Before us was a Goblin bomber, bog pole, griffin yearling, and a very menacing stone golem. I eyed Ghillie for a second and was about to say it before Boomer whined out, "A golem, really? Can we ask these people for some help now."

Well, I will admit, I was a little daunted, but I breathed in the crisp Daelore air and huffed out. "We do not know what all we are up against. This is a good way to test our meddle. Patches, to the side over there, Ghillie, focus fire on that griffin before it takes off. Boomer, get whatever you need to get to finish these things off fast."

With that, I pulled my trusty shield to the forefront, slammed it down in front of me, and shook my sword menacingly. Ghillie was on top of things within a jiffy. With such blinding speed, an arrow whizzed past me and thunked into the griffin, right at the neck. Crimson spilled from the wound and the yearling fell to the ground. I blinked a few times, thinking there was no way, but Ghillie is one of the best scouts out there, so I should not have been surprised.

First action of the battle, I should not have been surprised, but it was likely that surprise that allowed the goblin bomber to get so close to me. He grabbed at my SHIELD! The nerve of the thing. I wrestled with him before dropping it. I stared at my wooden companion for a second before seeing that the goblin was ready to strike. I brought my sword up, but not fast enough. A stinging burn raced down my shoulder as his steel hit my flesh.

I groaned and took a step back. To my right, Patches had a gleam in his eye. I always thought the medic quite mad, always mumbling to himself about one thing or another, but this was something different. He looked around in his various pouches, shrugged when he could not find anything, and pulled out his bone saw. The light glinted off the metal and he came hurling at me!

At the last second, he veered off and tackled the bomber, repeatedly shoving that serrated blade into the goblin. It growled at him, screamed, and kicked him off. While this was happening, Boomer was running every which way. I think I heard a 'found it' somewhere in there, but I was too busy concentrating on our psycho doctor.

I grabbed my shield from the ground and brought it back up. I girded myself and swung with all my might at the goblin, missing Patches by a hairs breath. I bit flesh! The killing blow was smote by me, and righteous adrenaline coursed through me. I bellowed a triumphant yell, but that ended quickly.

Next thing I knew, the stone golem, at least double my size, was lumbering towards me. I had made sure everyone stayed on the opposite side from me and the golem so that he might think me a tasty morsel first. That said, I was starting to doubt my constitution if I am being honest with myself.

My sight dropped to my sword, a toothpick compared to this thing, then up to the looming figure. Next, I remember his ham-sized fist slamming down on my shield and chest. I saw lights. I heard nothing. I blinked. My shield was shattered. I stood up, shaking off the buzzing in my head, only to be accosted by a slimy filth which had erupted from the bog pole. I heard boomer scream as well, though when I looked at her, she continued to work on her contraption through the tears welling up in her eyes.

The guards were now leaning intently against the walls of the city, and our own people could be seen in the ramparts. We could hear cheers of our names as everyone bolstered us. Leaning against my sword, I attempted to bolster our companions, but the wounds were taking their toll.

Ghillie nocked 2 arrows, and with a thwirp, let them fly. How he was able to aim, I have no idea, but both hit their target. The bog pole went down in a bleeding mess. The golem took an arrow to the skin. It bounced off, but you could see the cracks in his facade. Patches, standing next to me, tried to pat me on the back, "Salves on mule, hold longer, will be fine." How many healers do not keep salves with them? Or a bandage? Am I asking for too much?

Patches ran at the golem with some little dagger he had secreted away. He jabbed at the thing. His dagger shattered, much like my shield, but a shard must have hit home, because the golem had stumbled.

I heard Boomer from somewhere behind me yell "Choke on this." I looked back to see a grenade leave her hand. It was a perfect arc. It landed in the stone golem's mouth. The creature's eyes widened and everything went silent, followed by a thud. There were cracks in his skin, and he shattered before us. Patches and I had been pelted by the stone skin. A few pieces of shrapnel buried into my body, and it was almost enough for me to give out.

Thankfully, everyone else was fine. I needed rest. And I needed to rebuild my shield. My poor shield. Well, I made a comment that we should make camp at least a few feet into the forest to look like we were well on our way to deal with this goblin king. Also, I did not want others to think me weak.

Now to rest. Tomorrow, we will see what this cursed king will throw our way. Until Tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Day 3

You know, it is amazing what a good night sleep will do. I had aches and pains everywhere (that golem really gave me a thrumming), but Patches did whatever he does, and I seemed to be in tip top shape. Through the night, Ghillie and Boomer went scouting. They found a wolf pup and a griffin howler fighting over something that had been massacred earlier. When they left, Picket decided to go pick some herbs and things. He came back talking about a owlbear. After yesterday's display, we decided we did not want to spend time with that monstrosity. So it looked like we might cross paths with the pup and the griffin.

Once breakfast was done and everything was packed. We made our way down a long winding path. We came to a town with a river ford.

"Let's not take the river. Mohlnar are the ferrymen, and their price might come to bite us later," Ghillie said, while chewing on some leaf which made him look more simple than he was.

"I know this place," Ghillie continued. "If we just head straight through town and do not get caught, we should be alright."

"The Mohlnor will give us things that might help us. There is a chance we won't run into them again." Patches looked at all of us while he said those things, trying to elicit a response in favor of us doing this, but Patches was not the orator he maybe envisioned himself being.

In the end, we decided to go through town, staying as hidden as we possibly could among the townfolk. By the time we reached the end, our stress level was through the roof. Through most of the walk, nothing happened, but at one point, Boomer bumped into someone and dropped some of her fuses. She hurried to pick everything up and duck into an alleyway, away from prying eyes, but the human followed her.

Thankfully, some quick thinking by Ghillie took him off our scent, when he called his falcon to nosedive the pursuer. That bird would help us later, I am sure of it. Anyway, we made it through without much more hubbub, but I have to say, it might be best if we ford a river next time that is an option. We do not need to deal with that sort of headache on top of everything else.

There are whispers of a mad goblin to the north. We will camp tonight, and tomorrow, we will make for the goblin king. I think I will name him Chip, the mad goblin. Until tomorrow

(a little in this post, and throughout the next few, I might change things a little from the actual game played just because of flavor)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Day 4

Well, after Boomer almost got us caught, we decided to go off road a little bit. We are from the forests, and so it was a little bit of a comfort for us to go back to it. About mid day, we came upon a clearing. Some farmer had cut out a lot of trees and put a very large farm in the middle of it. In fact, from the standard road, you probably couldn’t even see the farm. Either way, we were skirting the property when we heard a child squeal.

Being the grand protector, I ran headlong for the barn. I could hear Ghillie calling out to leave them alone, that we had to be further down the road. Well, I did not pay any heed. People were in danger.

I reached the barn and slipped in. There was no one there, but the barn was built into the side of the farm house, and behind a stall, I could see a cellar door. Throwing caution to the wind, I ran for the tiny human voice. I dropped down the stairs 2 at a time, almost losing my footing, but making it down nonetheless.

Before me was a human child, maybe 5 years old, and 5 of the largest rats I had ever seen. Pulling my shield and sword from their places, I slammed out a taunt to the rats, showing them that they now had to contend with me. Even if I was the same size as the child, I hoped my armament would focus the rats on myself.

Following me down the stairs, everyone else showed up. I had half thought they might stay in the trees. I guess I was wrong. The child looked at us with saucer sized eyes and ran out. I blocked the rats from pursuing them. Realizing their problem, they decided they would need to focus on us.

“Gearlocs, we get one chance. Let us do this right,” I trumpeted.

I could hear Ghillie mumbling in the background about a hero complex getting us killed. That said, he still fought. He launched 2 arrows into 2 different rats, ending both of their lives. Boomer, not very interested in the whole affair, took the time to look for more parts for her bombs. I won’t say it wasn’t a smart move, but I was a bit irked that she didn’t at least fight with the solidarity of a team.

Our maniacal medic(he really is not crazy, I do not think, nor is he much of a maniac, but he does fight with intent to kill, and for a medic, is that not contrary to their normal disposition?) carved into another rat with his bone saw, but it seemed that this one was the patriarch of the brood. It squealed in pain, recoiled, but was still standing. I had nothing but a carcass in front of me, thanks to Ghillie, so I swept around the side and slammed my shield into the rat that Patches had provided with a comprehensive surgical procedure. It seemed the doctor would have to go talk to the family. The subject had flat-lined on the operating table.

Upon seeing the demise of the patriarch, the last 2 rats scurried away. A few moments later, a ruddy colored human came plodding down the stairs, a bow in hand. Following behind him was the child. Face still red and stained with tears. “What are you goblins doing down here? Speak now before I put an arrow through your eye for harassing my boy!”

Ghillie and Boomer both bristled at the name goblin, but me and Patches held them back. “Do not say a word.” I glared into Ghillie’s eyes and he settled a bit. Patches shoved his needle into the side of Boomer and she looked downright loopy. Well, that was one way to calm her.

I put up my sword and shield and offered my hands up in surrender. “Sir, we are not goblins, but gearlocs. We heard your child screaming and came to help.” I gestured to the rat carcasses behind me.

“It seems you have a rat problem. We fixed that.”

The farmer’s facade slowly shrunk as the tension went out of him.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “Please, at least let me feed you as a token of gratitude. Then you can be on your way.”

I looked at my own group. Boomer was drooling, but whether that was from the thought of food, or the sedative that Patches gave her, I had no idea. The other 2 gave a nod of assent, though Ghillie still seemed to be on edge about the whole thing.

After a few hours, our bellies were full, and we had told our tale to the farmer and his family. He offered us a few trinkets in exchange for our service: some herbs, a stone hammer, and something he called reflex powder. I was not quite sure what that meant, but we took it gratefully.

We left after that, and I made sure to ask the farmer to send word to Obendar that we were alive and well and driving ever onward. He said he would and wished us luck.

As we started back down the forest trail, I noticed that same wolf pup that had been seen at the river a day back. When we made camp that night, I swear I also heard a griffin call above us in the sky. It bothered me some, but it would wait. Sleep would come. Until tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Day 5

You know, I thought there would be a lot more combat on this adventure. So far, we only had to worry about a golem. In fact, I am a little bored if I am going to be honest with myself.

After a day of nothing, we camped. Dinner was not a whole lot to write home about. Ghillie found a few rabbits that we roasted up. Patches found a few edible berries and some sort of vegetable I had never had before, but it was fair.

We sat around the fire and talked of home. We missed everyone. Sure, we had been gone for less than a week, but when you are a small community of the only type of creatures we know of, you tend to be very tight knit. Even Ghillie, who is gone days at a time, seemed a little forlorn. At least he had pets (which never slept near us strangely).

We settled in for a decent night sleep. The fire turned to embers by the time the last of us nodded off (probably Ghillie). I awoke with a start. I do not know what time it was, but I felt a pressing against my chest. Startled awake, I looked around.

Everyone was in various stages of sinking. It was Quicksand, and while not quick, was digesting each of us. I yelled out in panic, "WAKE UP GEARLOCS!"

I grabbed for Boomer, who was a little deeper than me, and tried to wrench her free from the earth's grasp. She awoke with a panicked cry, as did everyone else.

"Trees, over there, lets try to make for them," Patches spoke quickly. Most of our stuff was right on the perimeter of this quicksand patch, and so safe, but thankfully Ghillie had kept his bow.

Without saying a word, he launched 4 arrows into the neighboring trees, tied off with some sort of rope. Where had he gotten it?

"Everyone, grab a rope, pull yourself out." Ghillie took command. I am ashamed to say that as the defacto leader, I did not step up before he spoke. It will be something to work toward.

Either way, we finally found our way to our respective trees. I want to be clear that I was the first one out, and was able to secure the perimeter. In the dark, I saw 2 sets of eyes staring at us. I think the wolf cub found it's mother.

Well, we weren't going to be getting any more sleep, so we decided to continue down the trail. Until today...no sleep is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
((just a note. I plan on getting back to the sessions ASAP. Just have not had time to write them up, or play even.))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Lemmons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
((due to time constraints and other things, this might be indefinitely over, who knows? I am in the process of buying a house, and the new one does not have internet!!! Anyway, we will see.))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb

Well, I was riveted and it was a fantastic read. Life does get in the way, and that's a good thing. If you do finish it, I'll be happy to read it in the future. Good luck in your house endeavors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.