Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone

I'm going to Essen for the first time this year on my own (I'm Australian, I speak english and have an A2 level of German language skill) - I've booked flights, but I am a bit lost as to where to book a hotel. I saw some talk in another thread of hotel-gaming in the evening and since I am on my own was definitely keen to find a hotel that this was likely to happen in.

What are your recommendations (both good and bad) based upon last years experience?
Ideally as I am female I'd like somewhere I feel safe getting to/from, and I want something as convenient as possible to the convention itself.

Also... how cold is the weather? I've only ever been to europe mid-winter (December/January) before so I'm not sure how heavily I should pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave the Hotel - problem to others - since I live in Germany.

Regarding the weather: Usually we have some "beautiful Octobers" where it can get warm up to 20+ degrees (Celcius - not the other thing ). Sadly due to the late autumn holidays this year expect it being cold and even wet in the evening / morning.

Dressing for the fair: T-Shirt or light sweater would be enough since the halls are heated and given the amount of people it gets sweaty (my experience).

You should definitely daily watch the announcements regarding the Spiel at least a week before they start concerning the security - situation and the allowance of bagpacks aso.

I'm going to a rock - concert in August and they announced that no backpacks, bags or anything else is allowed. Come dressed and that's it.

Thanks to all who think killing others will get them somewhere (/sarcasm off).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alphawolf wrote:

You should definitely daily watch the announcements regarding the Spiel at least a week before they start concerning the security - situation and the allowance of bagpacks aso.

I'm going to a rock - concert in August and they announced that no backpacks, bags or anything else is allowed. Come dressed and that's it.

Thanks to all who think killing others will get them somewhere (/sarcasm off).

Just to be clear, that was never an issue before and I haven't seen any announcement so far that suggested it could become a topic this year. I guess Alphawolf added this information based on the recent events everywhere and his experience with the rock concert.

In my experience the board gmaers attending Essen are a very relaxed crowd with no reason to feel worried.

On your questions regarding hotel and weather... Well, I do take a hotel, but usually some way off. The hotels some way off are much cheaper, but usually there are no other gamers staying, so there are no game nights.

As Alphawolf said, the weather can be anywhere from sunny with temperatures in the twenties °C to cool and rainy in the low tens °C.

I hope you'll have a good time here, and who knows, maybe we'll meet at the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Just book your hotel, NOW, don't worry about the gaming at night.
Finding a Hotel is hard enough.

There will be gaming at almost any hotel, and otherwise just go to one of the bigger ones near your hotel and you will find some friendly games who will always be happy to have another gamer at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If gaming and convenience is your thing : Bredeney Hotel - they've got a big conference room dedicated to gaming at night and there's always cabs standing by to get you to the Messe for a total price of about 9 euro - share it with others going to the fair and it's both cheaper and quicker than taking the subway.

Check the other threads for other hotels with gaming in them - in essence most of the big hotels have an area set aside for gaming at night.

The one thing you need to do is book a hotel NOW.

Oh, and the female/male ratio inside the halls is about 30/70 - much more than you'd expect from most conventions. My wife has joined me for the past 6 years and is totally having a blast and doesn't feel like she's the odd duck out.

edit : the language used inside the halls is English - but if you speak some German that's a bonus as you might want to join a German-language demo then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:

Also... how cold is the weather? I've only ever been to europe mid-winter (December/January) before so I'm not sure how heavily I should pack.

Totally random . Two years ago, we were chilled to the bone because of an icy wind, although it was sunny otherwise. Last year, it was almost T-shirt weather. A light jacket is always handy, something you can pack away easily - you'll still need it after dark of if it starts raining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:
Hi Everyone

I'm going to Essen for the first time this year on my own (I'm Australian, I speak english and have an A2 level of German language skill) - I've booked flights, but I am a bit lost as to where to book a hotel. I saw some talk in another thread of hotel-gaming in the evening and since I am on my own was definitely keen to find a hotel that this was likely to happen in.

As an indigenous gamer I cannot say much about hotel evening gaming - as far as I have heard from the foreigners cool, every hotel in a radius of 50 km (31 mi) has some gamers staying there and almost all hotels will have an evening gaming opportunity.

Quote:
What are your recommendations (both good and bad) based upon last years experience?

The recommendation is to book a hotel asap . . . most of those close to the fair are full since March. There are some hotels where transport to and fro SPIEL may take 45 min (with public transport) but in general the Ruhrgebiet area has a good public transport system. After you have booked a hotel just start a thread here - or look whether there is already one - to find out who else from BGG is staying there - maybe with some past year's experience and information.

Quote:
Ideally as I am female I'd like somewhere I feel safe getting to/from, and I want something as convenient as possible to the convention itself.

In general I have never heard anything about safety problems around SPIEL. I expect moderate to intense bag-pack checking at the entrance - but I doubt that they will ban backpacks etc. in general.
Cosplayers and (L)RPG enthusiasts should leave heavy armament at home - they may run into problems with the securitywhistle

Almost all of the Ruhrgebiet is safe for everyone. Pick-pockets may target one in trains and train stations . . . in a rate way under what I have experienced in Paris, London or Berlin arrrh.
Most buses and trams/tubes nowadays feature emergency call buttons, the S-Bahn (regional train service) has security in almost every train.

Quote:

Expect to be flexible . . . the weather can be anything from "Goldener Oktober" - bright sunny days with temperatures around 20° C and clear nights with temperatures between 5° and 0° C or rainy, foggy, grey days with spray rain and equal temperatures for days and nights around 10° C.
In the halls you will be best off with a t-shirt and maybe a light jacket or pullover/sweater.

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weather is a b.tch in Germany. Weather may change during the days of Essen from sunny 20° to snow-rainy 5° and back to rainy 10° before giving you 20° again.

You should have booked a hotel 6 months ago, but do it asap, there are still rooms left.

And while you can get easily aroind with English only, German language skills will make everything easier inside and outside the fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips...

Any other hotel recommendations?

Specific names would help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:

At this point in time : Any hotel you can get close to the Messe or close to a subway station.

The Arosa has a subway entrance in front of the lobby - but I'm not sure if it's open again (the hotel that is, not the subway entrance). The Atlantic is within walking distance (10 minutes) to the entrance of the Messe, but it's expensive - best breakfast in town, if that's important to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thread.
I will also be there for the first time with a friend of mine and we have booked ourselves in an Airbnb apartment closer to the center.

Reading the replies it seems that al lot of gameplay happens at hotels after the Convention. Any hotels that are sure bets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:
Thanks for the tips...

Specific names would help!

I'm staying at Ibis Hbf, which has nice gaming in the evenings. Don't know if it still has free rooms though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year there was a German boardgame group that invited people for gaming after the convention closes. Forgot the name, but I'm sure you can find an old post about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pamela Simms-Borre
Denmark
Gentofte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people from Denmark (including me - yay!) will be staying at Motel One. Last year there was a lot of gaming each evening so I assume the same this year.

Hope to catch up with you in Essen JF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corinna S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We stayed with friends, and played at the Atlantic every night! Right by the fair, they open up their massive conference rooms on the ground floor and welcome all gamers. You just need to consume something (waiter service) and the drinks are slightly on the expensive side. But for that, you get good tables/chairs, a nice warm room central to the fair (particularly great if you want to meet people from other hotels and all play together, instead of travelling somewhere first). This may be something of an insider's tip ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
LuluChia wrote:
Lots of people from Denmark (including me - yay!) will be staying at Motel One. Last year there was a lot of gaming each evening so I assume the same this year.

Hope to catch up with you in Essen JF!

Agreed, would be nice! I think Corinna's tip is something I will look into if it's Close by as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked hotels online . . . something a native will not do normally for his own town

Prices are way upshake

And rooms are running out like hell devil

If you find something that suits you in the quarters named "Altenessen" or "Stoppenberg", hit it! these two quarters seem to be far away from the fair but have quite direct public transport to the gates of the halls.

The same goes for anything in city center or "Weststadt".

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris GIANADDA
France
Alfortville
Ile de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Las t year, the weather was very nice.

Also, there's a beautiful Spa near the fair. I think I'll go for a morning of relaxation one of the four days, this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Last year there was a German boardgame group that invited people for gaming after the convention closes. Forgot the name, but I'm sure you can find an old post about it.

There's already a thread for this year's Essen: Going to Essen and want to play? - Dice & Mystics Fringe 2017
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staying at Ghotel Hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone! I'll be looking into all these hotels and booking something ASAP - I should have done it months ago, when I booked my flights but I've just been so busy.

I run a weekly board game group in sydney, and its almost a second job, so booking a hotel just slipped my mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Glompbot wrote:
Thank you everyone! I'll be looking into all these hotels and booking something ASAP - I should have done it months ago, when I booked my flights but I've just been so busy.

Wrong way round. I booked my hotel in February and still haven't booked my flights (though I must, soon).

My recommendation for clothes is a light waterproof jacket and nothing too snug for clothes - with thousands of people the halls get pretty warm, and the U-bahn into town is right outside the door so you won't have far to go. Wear boots or very good shoes because you will be on your feet a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
Glompbot wrote:

Wrong way round. I booked my hotel in February and still haven't booked my flights (though I must, soon).

Not sure if it's that wrong for Intercontinental flights.

Maybe you want to try German sites to get your hotel, like trivago.de or the german versions of international sites as booking.com. not sure if they have better prices than on the international versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:

Not sure if it's that wrong for Intercontinental flights.

Yeah, my flight (including a trip to Japan) is about $5000 AUD (~3000 Euro) , so its definitely the higher expense. I booked it in January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teena H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impy wrote:
the_vinman wrote:

There's already a thread for this year's Essen: Going to Essen and want to play? - Dice & Mystics Fringe 2017

Unfortunately I leave on the Saturday afternoon - I had to juggle this visit around a trip to Japan, so I'll be in Essen for 2.5 days of the convention only. I have a few days prior to do some sight seeing to nearby cities and get over jetlag though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.