Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have to gripe a bit. I'm playing Dunwich with a true solo Jim Culver.

The House Always Wins went fine.

In Extracurricular Activities, I geared up, and I drew a Yithian Observer. Then a thrall. Then another Observer. I managed to kill one Observer before the agenda advanced -- I resigned without ever leaving the quad.

On to the Museum. First round, geared up - drew the Horror. I lasted a while this time but only explored two exhibits before my deck was waning, and I had the treachery where you don't want to run out of cards.

Mind you, I did have Drs Morgan and Armitage, and no trauma. Not too shabby in the big picture. I was still feeling alright about this campaign

Essex Express -- Geared up, playing a cache, Rite of Seeking and Peter Sylvestre. First player card is my weakness, Mob Enforcer. First encounter card -- Grappling Horror. Can't investigate, can't evade, can't move. Agenda advanced, scenario ended. Lost all the ground I'd gained.

How's your campaign going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often feel like, to get the Lovecraftian mood better, that there should be "blank" encounter cards. Is it really normal to go batshit crazy when just arriving on a campus? Is there really that many terrors to entering a bar, with so many crazy creatures hiding under every chair?

Which ties in with what you're saying. You can get terribly bad encounter draws very early on, which is definitely not what Lovecraft is about. Oh, look there, Yog Sototh was waiting for me in my office, if only I had turned my head earlier since I spawned there...

And then in other scenario, like Midnight Mask, I like having a bunch of crazed cultists after me.

So yeah, it's a shame that they aren't going with blank cards, with then actual terrors and potentially more difficult threats to deal with in that deck. Sometimes I like a breather, instead of drowning in terror at every step. Way to overexpect stuff, crazy inspectors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Zoey and my daughter is Jenny. We're doing quite a bit better than you, although we are in Easy mode. I'd say we "won" three out of our five scenarios so far.

We played "The House Always Wins" to good effect. Only net gains from the scenario, although VP winnings weren't impressive. In "Extracurricular Activity" Jenny put down the Experiment single-handedly, while Zoey ran off to collect a clue (and thus a further VP) and get pestered to near-insanity by Yithians. It was a difficult night in "The Miskatonic Museum," with the Hunting Horror returning four times, despite repeated slapdowns from Zoey. Zoey resigned just before Jenny got into the restricted exhibit, but there was no real prospect of success there against the returned Hunting Horror, so Jenny Was Outta There. We kicked ass on the Essex County Express! Zoey in particular come through with hardly a scratch. Of course, the whole train other than the engine where we were had been sucked into some hellish other dimension, but whattaya gonna do?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Blood on the Altar" was a tough scenario for us: we had terrible luck finding the Hidden Chamber, leaving us too little time to accomplish either resolution before the Agenda Deck ran out.

I'm interested in your experience though, because once we finish the cycle, I plan to go back and tackle it solo with Jim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I'm interested in your experience though, because once we finish the cycle, I plan to go back and tackle it solo with Jim.

I'm finding Jim kind of hopeless alone. His stats don't let him stand out anywhere, and evasion is really tough. If you have the right spell out at the right time, you might be okay. I built with weapons and healing in the off-classes. I have two Alyssa's, but now I think Arcane Initiate is the right way to go, especially now with Moonlight Ritual, and maybe even Dr Milan Christopher in the splash to help get the expensive spells out.

But I don't care what anyone says, I love Blood Pact, again, even better with moolight Ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenixio wrote:
Is it really normal to go batshit crazy when just arriving on a campus?

Depends. American or European university?

Quote:
Is there really that many terrors to entering a bar, with so many crazy creatures hiding under every chair?

See above.

It would be a slower game with a bunch of blank cards, I think. A more streamlined option could be if encounter cards weren't always drawn all the time, perhaps? It seems damn near every encounter card is something negative, so it should have been used more sparingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first thing you should aim to do is get a weapon or attack spell into play. Especially if your weakness is an enemy

But sometimes the deck does do super bad things. At least with the worst enemies you often get a victory point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game. If you want an encounter mulligan, have one.

It's meant to be fun, so if it isn't fun, modify it.

Rules are merely a basis for negotiation on the part of the designer. (Runs and hides...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I think the difficulty level really spikes with fewer investigators. I've never played solo, but often play double handed. That is until last week, I started playing 4 investigators and totally wiped every scenario. There are more chances your fellow investigators can pitch cards to skill checks and work together by dividing up the various problems to people that can handle them. If you are struggling and want to find better enjoyment, I recommend trying 3 or 4 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
I think the difficulty level really spikes with fewer investigators. I've never played solo, but often play double handed. That is until last week, I started playing 4 investigators and totally wiped every scenario. There are more chances your fellow investigators can pitch cards to skill checks and work together by dividing up the various problems to people that can handle them. If you are struggling and want to find better enjoyment, I recommend trying 3 or 4 investigators.

I dual-hand. I also did this in LTR. The variety provided by having two decks to pull from vastly outweighs the difficulty created by drawing twice as many enemies. Ultimately more fun that way.

But true solo is a real challenge, that's for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
Well, the first thing you should aim to do is get a weapon or attack spell into play. Especially if your weakness is an enemy

But sometimes the deck does do super bad things. At least with the worst enemies you often get a victory point.

I usually do. I could have put out Shrivelling instead of Sylvestre, but I thought that extra agility would be handy. Not so much -- that's the reason I have him in my Jim deck, but it's really not enough when you're starting at 2. I think I'd be better with Elusive or Think On Your Feet (though those wouldn't have helped here in Express). I may rebuild with the lessons learned and try Jim again after all this, and maybe on Easy instead of Standard.

I usually play two investigators. Until Express, I was actually doing better than I had with Rex and Zoey. Fleeing campus before The Experiment comes around is, surprisingly, a better result than failing to kill it. Express has now erased those gains, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll need a second core before I try Jim solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
I just have to gripe a bit. I'm playing Dunwich with a true solo Jim Culver.

The House Always Wins went fine.

Essex Express -- Geared up, playing a cache, Rite of Seeking and Peter Sylvestre. First player card is my weakness, Mob Enforcer. First encounter card -- Grappling Horror. Can't investigate, can't evade, can't move. Agenda advanced, scenario ended. Lost all the ground I'd gained.

How's your campaign going?

If House Always Wins really went fine, you shouldn't have a Mob Enforcer in the deck (just in case you missed something).

Either way, essex is hard and can completely scramble all the progress you've made practically (that extra turn would have probably won us Blood on the Altar). In my campaign, I went a single train car back to clear a cultist who had 2 extra doom dumped on him, and someone pulled an ancient evils before I got to attack. Whoooooooooooosh... there I went. :/ It wasn't long before the rest joined me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
If House Always Wins really went fine, you shouldn't have a Mob Enforcer in the deck (just in case you missed something).

This is the Basic Weakness one from the core.

Quote:
Either way, essex is hard and can completely scramble all the progress you've made practically (that extra turn would have probably won us Blood on the Altar). In my campaign, I went a single train car back to clear a cultist who had 2 extra doom dumped on him, and someone pulled an ancient evils before I got to attack. Whoooooooooooosh... there I went. :/ It wasn't long before the rest joined me.

It's funny, it went really well for me with my Rex and Zoey run. I pulled into the station with a Grappling Horror in the engine with me, but we still made it.

I'm having fun with it, it's just a bit frustrating that on half the scenarios now, I haven't left the first location. I'd probably be really unhappy if it was my first time through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't be trying to evade at all with Jim's very weak score of 2; you're just asking for a letdown. Seriously, don't do it. Take Sylvestre for his ability if you take him at all, but for a solo character that slot would be better spent on Elusive.

Your first hand should have something to deal with critters (mulligan if not, not matter what), and I'd shoot for Shriveling, which for Jim should be upgraded to Song of the Dead ASAP so you've got a Will 5 whenever you use it. There are a couple of Evade cards, which Jim should have in his deck as well, which use your Will. With Song of the Dead and Grotesque Statue, you've got a good shot at hitting a Skull, which gives no skill penalty and 3 damage. Fearless and Ward of Protection will help round ya out.

Your goal with Jim is to get him setup so that he can deal with threats later, so don't bog him down with cards that try to shore up his weaknesses (ie giving him higher stats). Instead, use cards that will keep him alive or switch the focus from his weak stats to his strong ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
You shouldn't be trying to evade at all with Jim's very weak score of 2; you're just asking for a letdown. Seriously, don't do it. Take Sylvestre for his ability if you take him at all, but for a solo character that slot would be better spent on Elusive.

Your first hand should have something to deal with critters (mulligan if not, not matter what), and I'd shoot for Shriveling, which for Jim should be upgraded to Song of the Dead ASAP so you've got a Will 5 whenever you use it. There are a couple of Evade cards, which Jim should have in his deck as well, which use your Will. With Song of the Dead and Grotesque Statue, you've got a good shot at hitting a Skull, which gives no skill penalty and 3 damage. Fearless and Ward of Protection will help round ya out.

Your goal with Jim is to get him setup so that he can deal with threats later, so don't bog him down with cards that try to shore up his weaknesses (ie giving him higher stats). Instead, use cards that will keep him alive or switch the focus from his weak stats to his strong ones.

Good advice, thanks. I do have two Wards and I've upgraded both Blinding Lights (as bad as Extracurricular went, I did manage to Delve Too Deep before resigning, giving me 3 XP with the dead Yithian and the scenario award. I Delved in the Museum too. It's really keeping me in the XP game at least). I'm never sure whether to advance Shrivelling or go with Song of the Dead instead, since the latter's damage bonus is conditional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
soakman wrote:

This is the Basic Weakness one from the core.

Quote:

It's funny, it went really well for me with my Rex and Zoey run. I pulled into the station with a Grappling Horror in the engine with me, but we still made it.

I'm having fun with it, it's just a bit frustrating that on half the scenarios now, I haven't left the first location. I'd probably be really unhappy if it was my first time through.

Ooops! I guess I missed something, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Blood on the Altar went alright. Despite the worst possible location layout and uncovering them in the worst possible order, I managed to not get the worst ending. No trauma, several allies, and the prize. But I suspect this ending is going to come back to bite me anyway. Now, how to spend my 4 XP.

Level 2 Blinding Lights served me well against the Nightgaunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Well, Blood on the Altar went alright. Despite the worst possible location layout and uncovering them in the worst possible order, I managed to not get the worst ending. No trauma, several allies, and the prize. But I suspect this ending is going to come back to bite me anyway. Now, how to spend my 4 XP.

Level 2 Blinding Lights served me well against the Nightgaunts.

Congrats! Better than my group ended up. :/ Close but no cigar for us... Things are looking grim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belzebub Sataan
msg tools
I've played jim and compared to other investigators, he's difficult to play right. Mystic cards tend to do anything with willpower, but have limited charges and high cost. However jims lower willpower than agnes means you fail on checks more often and simply waste charges (and the ressources to play the card).

To compensate for this i'd recommend you to use his 5 flex slots to add cards like machete, magnifying glass and Dr. Milan cristopher to your deck, so you can succeed on easy checks (shroud 1-2; enemies with fight 1-2) without relying on spells that have limited charges.

The new mystic ally "alyssa graham" is also good as she boosts willpower by 1, however her cost of 4 ressources can be too much for your deck.

If you're still new to the game you should play a different character, for exmaple ashcan pete is a good beginner character and the survivor deck is well rounded with effects to gather clues, combat and survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I am sorry, but if I lose in the first 5 minutes of playing the scenario. I just replay it. I don't want to spend 20 minutes set-up, then 5 minutes play time due to some bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blank cards is an interesting idea. You could use the Chaos Bag prior to the flipping the card and if you get an Elder Sign token (for example) you can choose not to flip.

Or spend a resource token to prevent you from flipping an encounter card for one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this got bumped and I just finished U&U, an update:

Things were going fine until Jim ended up in Whateley Ruins with his weakness Mobster and a Whippoorwill. That alone was manageable, but then I drew Attracting Attention, which surged into another Attracting Attention, which surged into a Towering Beast, and of course both in-play Broods were adjacent to me. It would have been a GREAT time to have Elusive. I took out the non-massive enemies and suffered an attack from both Broods. I managed to take one out before the last one spawned on me, giving me my first trauma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played that one this evening, and we did about as badly as we could from the initial conditions, short of taking trauma. No Broods eliminated, both characters resigned on the verge of insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
CSerpent wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

I'm finding Jim kind of hopeless alone. His stats don't let him stand out anywhere, and evasion is really tough. If you have the right spell out at the right time, you might be okay. I built with weapons and healing in the off-classes. I have two Alyssa's, but now I think Arcane Initiate is the right way to go, especially now with Moonlight Ritual, and maybe even Dr Milan Christopher in the splash to help get the expensive spells out.

But I don't care what anyone says, I love Blood Pact, again, even better with moolight Ritual.

I'd say only Wendy is tougher to play solo than Jim. Regrettably, Jim is mediocre at investigation and worse at combat. (A few sets ago I would have said Daisy is tougher, too, but she has far better combat options now than she used to.)

Btw, agreed on Blood Pact. It's definitely good in my opinion. Probably the weakest of the five XP permanents, but still well worth the 3 ΧP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And for closure, for those still reading -- Where Doom Awaits started with a certain Hunter one space away. I readied a .45, then drew....the Mob Enforcer. No way to evade, and no where to go even if I could. I was able to parley the mob guy away, but the big guy was joined by not one but TWO more big guys. The end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.