Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ultraconsumer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the second time tonight.

My group came up with an interesting question/discussion point that I wanted to ask everyone's advice on. Specifically, what's really the point of a hostage negotiation? I understand tormenting can really hurt a player, but why would someone holding a key hostage EVER make a non-binding deal, then release the hostage? Since the deal is non-binding, the chances of them getting backstabbed later are way greater than just taking out the 4 power from tormenting.

Also, what exactly could you negotiate with that might make this type of negotiation worth it that's actually within the rules of the game? The rulebook gives a few examples (promising to ally or not ally, play or not play a card, or "attempt any other scheme they concoct." This makes no sense to me as simply tormenting the hostages seems clearly more powerful than a "promise" to play a card or ally in most cases, especially since it's non-binding. It's also not clear what type of negotiations are legal -- can hostages be traded or given? Power moved? Influence exchanged?

We thought about making hostage negotiation deals binding as a means to encourage them; otherwise, we just felt like tormenting hostages was always an easy choice (deciding the ideal timing is the only real choice).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think hostages are more frequently traded for influence during truces.

But don't underestimate what you can get from releasing one at the start of a round either. If you have a hand of low cards or powers you don't want to use, getting that one extra card can give you an extra option you didn't have before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
gamerluke wrote:
I understand tormenting can really hurt a player, but why would someone holding a key hostage EVER make a non-binding deal, then release the hostage? Since the deal is non-binding, the chances of them getting backstabbed later are way greater than just taking out the 4 power from tormenting.

Beginning of a round is probably not the best moment for some types of hostage negotiations, maybe try to do them at a different moment, for example:

Just before a player declares support, say "If you will support me with [point at their strongest character], I will release your hostage at the nearest opportunity instead of tormenting him", so that you (as a hostage holder) can potentially be a backstabber (i.e. they comply to your terms, but you still torment later), not the other way around . Well, this is more of a "hostage blackmail" than "hostage negotiations", but you know what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a reason you would sometimes take it from the top of the deck instead of the hand

"I have Arya Stark. Help me out and I will free her"

*releases hostage*

"No, it's not a truce card. It's alternative art"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.