Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Lowe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
After Tigris & Euphrates, Dale decided he could stay for one more hour. Jim suggested Alhambra, so we quickly went over the rules with Dale and started building our palaces.

Jim ended up grabbing a large number of the towers early, and it appeared he was going to walk away with the game. However Chris was tying for the majority in many of the other buildings and as a result was scoring well also.

I tried to keep the majority in white and brown, but it was hard to stay ahead of Chris. At one point I thought I had a decent chance to grab the sole majority in white and maybe even grab a tower for sole possession of second place, but then Chris played the killer move. He purchased three buildings for exact change and then took the best money card all in one turn! :0 We were stunned. Some credit goes to Chris for having the cards to pull it off when he needed it. However luck played a major role as most of the buildings he purchased had just been turned up before his turn. There's no way he could have actively planned it to work out that well.

In the end I was unable to place some of my buildings because of my palace layout. I had a 17-segment outer wall, but that wall ended up boxing me in and leaving me little room to expand my palace. Because I was unable to place some of my buildings, Chris ended up scoring the majority in brown. This was just enough to keep him ahead of Jim's large tower scoring in the final round and secure the win.

I can see why this game was popular with the Spiel des Jahres judges. It's quick, has some interesting choices, and definitely falls squarely in the family game category with the luck factor. If it played a bit longer it would definitely outlast its welcome, but as-is it's a fun game I look forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.