10 Posts

Ghostbusters: The Board Game II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Goo Timer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Graham
Canada
flag msg tools
There is a white highlighted number on each scenario's Goo Timer. What is the significance? I see nothing in the rule book that mentions it.

Speaking of the rule book not mentioning things, the rule about replenishing the timer when investigating a Goo Pile is hidden away well. I wanted to double check it, but it's not in section 6 about Goo Piles, it's not in section 7 about the Investigate maneuver, it's not mentioned alongside Goo Timer rules. It's mentioned only in section 2, on the initial overview of Goo Piles. Shoddy, and lots of players are going to miss it and be frustrated at the strictly timed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebooks ain't great, yeah.

But the white number is where you start the scenario at. It ticks down at the end of each round.

Each time you investigate a goo pile, you tick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Graham
Canada
flag msg tools
You START at the white?

So you have one round to get a goo pile or you lose? I don't think that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You START at the white, yes. Therefore, on your first round, you absolutely MUST investigate a goo pile in order to tick the timer upwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played the scenario, it's doable, just takes a lot of coordination! Which is the whole point of the game, really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Belk
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each goo pile search tick it up only once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scottie Mick
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drb1979 wrote:
Does each goo pile search tick it up only once?

yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Arganbright

Ohio
msg tools
So.. just so I understand this as the Goo Timer is the worst part of the rule book IMHO...

At the end of every round, unless the scenario card says otherwise, these things occur:
1) A ghost leaves the spirit world thru the gate
2) the goo timer drops one

am I understanding this correctly?
Sorry to be daft, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
goodbadgeeky wrote:
So.. just so I understand this as the Goo Timer is the worst part of the rule book IMHO...

At the end of every round, unless the scenario card says otherwise, these things occur:
1) A ghost leaves the spirit world thru the gate
2) the goo timer drops one

am I understanding this correctly?
Sorry to be daft, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this right!

Not quite. Instead of "1) A ghost leaves the spirit world thru the gate", you actually roll the Event Die and follow the scenario card to determine what happens -- This will indeed usually result in a ghost entering our world, but not necessarily. And if you roll the "Chaos" side, then instead of triggering the open/closed gate text, you'll activate each ghost who has line-of-sight on a Ghostbuster and trigger their "Miss" text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Arganbright

Ohio
msg tools
I always took that as a ghost always leaving the gate as it always happens for us LOL but.. thanks for clarifying! The Goo Timer is the biggest change IMHO since the first game, which I love. But the booklet for this one was like reading greek in some cases.

I really hope they re-do the instruction manual. thanks again for all who clarified this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.