Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking an item from another survivor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Latinsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello guys, what's up????

I have a question - i know that i can hand off items to another survivors.
But can i take an equipped item from another survivor?

For example, John Price is at the gas station and has a gun he doesn't need. However Loretta Clay who is at the school needs one. It's Loretta's turn now. Can she just go to a gas station and take that gun from John?
I searched for an answer everywhere but found nothing. A rulebook didn't help me neither. I always thought that you can hand off items but cannot take them on your turn, am i correct????

Oh and another one - what does "do not use an ability the medicine card" on Edward White's card? I mean i order to use his ability i need to play a card and then discard it...

Thanks a lot in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can request an item (not take it) from any other player or give an equipped item to another survivor in the same location as your survivor. The relevant parts of the rulebook are under Actions that Don't Require an Action Die:
rulebook wrote:
• Request: During his turn a player may request 1 or more
item cards from other players. Other players may give
the requesting player an item card from their hand, if
they do, that card must be revealed and immediately
played. The requested card cannot be added to the crisis.
• Hand Off: During his turn a player may have a survivor
he controls that has an item equipped hand that item
off to another survivor at the same location. When an
item is handed off it is unequipped from the survivor
that is handing it off and is immediately equipped to the
survivor that it is being handed to.
Note: If the item has a once per round ability and it has already
been used that round it cannot be used again by handing it off to
another survivor.

The last line on Edward White's ability means that you are using this ability INSTEAD OF using the ability of the medicine, not in addition to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there is no action to be able to take equipped items from another player's survivors. You can request item cards from another player's hand, but the only way to transfer equipped items is to have the player that controls that survivor hand the item off as an action on their turn.

For your second question, I don't have the card in question in front of me, but what I believe it's referring to is the fact that you have to discard a medicine card to use Edward's ability. You don't also get to use the medicine card for its effect; it just gets discarded to the waste pile and you get the effect of Edward's ability instead. So, you don't get to use the medicine to heal a wound and also use it to power Edward's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Yanyo
United States
Evansville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to the rulebook sections Jeff quoted, since the question is particularly about equipped items, there's another relevant passage under the Play a Card heading on page 10:

Quote:
Once a card is equipped it cannot be unequipped unless it is being added to a crisis or is being handed off.

In other words, once an item is equipped, you can only transfer it with the Hand Off action. If, however, the item hasn't yet been equipped and it's still in your hand, another player can Request it, and you can choose whether or not to give it to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about when you attack a survivor, can you take an equipped item, or just a random card from the player's hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
What about when you attack a survivor, can you take an equipped item, or just a random card from the player's hand?

P.8 of the rulebook clearly states you take a random card from their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Latinsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for all the help, now it makes sense!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holden

Sevenoaks
United Kingdom
msg tools
Playing last night we tried to make the most of the sniper rifles by using them then Handing Off to one of the characters in the same location of the next player in turn order so they could then equip, use and repeat. Couldn't see any rule to stop this or find any logical reason why you couldn't (in a game where it's logical for a stunt dog to take pot shots at zombies with a sniper rifle...).

Saved the day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nutsula wrote:
Playing last night we tried to make the most of the sniper rifles by using them then Handing Off to one of the characters in the same location of the next player in turn order so they could then equip, use and repeat. Couldn't see any rule to stop this or find any logical reason why you couldn't (in a game where it's logical for a stunt dog to take pot shots at zombies with a sniper rifle...).

Saved the day!

Are you sure it's not a once-per-round action?
rulebook wrote:
Hand Off: During his turn a player may have a survivor he controls that has an item equipped hand that item off to another survivor at the same location. When an item is handed off it is unequipped from the survivor that is handing it off and is immediately equipped to the
survivor that it is being handed to.
Note: If the item has a once per round ability and it has already been used that round it cannot be used again by handing it off to another survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holden

Sevenoaks
United Kingdom
msg tools
Yeah, I just spotted that in another thread but we obviously missed it last night.

Whoops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.