Hide
11 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Core Set only or need at least one expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YANN L.
msg tools
Looking to buy the game and I'm wondering if I would really need to get an expansion, like a must to have or if I'm ok with the core set only for a while.

I read that Dark City would be a must but..is it really necessary?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to find that once you understand the game that the base set difficulty isn't very high. You'll probably want to get more eventually to raise that bar up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yann1337 wrote:
Looking to buy the game and I'm wondering if I would really need to get an expansion, like a must to have or if I'm ok with the core set only for a while.

I read that Dark City would be a must but..is it really necessary?

thanks

It's not "required," but here's what I would suggest.

If you get the core set and your main complaint about it is that it's too easy, then buy one of the expansions (Dark City is definitely high up there).

If you don't like other aspects of the game, then an expansion probably won't help you.

And if you don't find the core set too easy and like the game, then you can get a lot of mileage out of it before going the expansion route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on at least Dark City if you've got the money, like the game, and want more variety. If you're only an every-once-in-a-while player, you can make hard games with just the base. The classic difficult set up is to play the Legacy Virus scheme with Loki as the Mastermind and as few black and green cards as you can among the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
hist wrote:
If you get the core set and your main complaint about it is that it's too easy, then buy one of the expansions (Dark City is definitely high up there).

If you don't like other aspects of the game, then an expansion probably won't help you.

I'd amend this to say that if you like the basic concept but the mechanics seem a little simplistic, the expansions (particularly the big box ones) will really help kick things up a gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Puderbaugh
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing competitively will also increase the longevity of the core set - not that I like to play that way, but plenty of others do.

Also, I really like Sidekicks that are included in Secret Wars Vol. 1. Either Dark City or Secret Wars Vol. 1 would be any excellent choice to add to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YANN L.
msg tools
thanks for your reply guys, I appreciated it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, get Dark City. You'll thank me for it later.

In all honesty, there are some other very good expansions, but Dark City just seems to fill out and complete the original set better than any other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
I recommend at least one expansion. If you plan on getting all the expansions then I would recommend you lean towards Noir for small box or X-Men for big box. Reason being there is are special promo cards, Detective Wolverine bystander in Noir. Not a game changer, but more cards is always a plus.

Other then that, Dark City for big box and Fantastic Four for small box. Apocalypse and Galactus are enough to make those sets worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You can definitely get away with having just the Base Set or Villains (the Base Set is far more popular, but Villains is much tougher). Just the four Masterminds from either set and the eight Schemes with each is 32 different games. If you would play once a week that's about four months of games.

For that matter, there is a possibility that the game isn't for you. We here are definitely fans, but what do you expect from people who post at a forum dedicated to it? Not everyone likes the game, and there are some legitimate criticisms against it. If that could describe you (maybe you're finicky about what games you play, or want high levels of complexity or strategy), then there's a very intelligent reason to sink less money than you need to into the game.

One thing you could do is see if you can try it out at a local hobby store. Marvel is a hugely popular company, so any nearby stores have a good chance to have one available as a demo. I live in Duluth, and Duluth is not a big city (100,000) but my local gaming shop has ten or 11 different board games you can try before sinking money into them. If you strike out with that option, even watching the how to videos here could give you an idea of what the game is like and that should help you figure out if this is your kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
For that matter, there is a possibility that the game isn't for you. We here are definitely fans, but what do you expect from people who post at a forum dedicated to it? Not everyone likes the game, and there are some legitimate criticisms against it. If that could describe you (maybe you're finicky about what games you play, or want high levels of complexity or strategy), then there's a very intelligent reason to sink less money than you need to into the game.

No! All must join the cult!

One of us! One of us! One of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.