11 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Engineer Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ROwan Scovell-Lightfoot
msg tools
Hello,

I have played TM for 2 years (not claiming to be an expert, far from it)
and I have recently decided to start playing the engineers.

It would be very much appreciated if someone could give me some advice/strategies on their openings/mid game/endgame or overall tips, preferably advanced as the people i'm playing are incredibly good!

Thanks,
The Halfling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROwan Scovell-Lightfoot
msg tools
On the Engineer strategy I meen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Halfling wrote:
On the Engineer strategy I meen

Opening - Temple with Earth2
Work that towards 2 dwellings and 1 trading post.

Try to get a 2nd temple end of round 2.

Overall goal try for 3 towns by end of game.

Late game stronghold, round 5ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROwan Scovell-Lightfoot
msg tools
1 round. I build a temple (earth 2)
2 round. Then I build 2 dwellings and a trade post
5 round. Stronghold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROwan Scovell-Lightfoot
msg tools
What do you think about getting the dig bonus card then build 2 temples and a dwelling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Halfling wrote:
What do you think about getting the dig bonus card then build 2 temples and a dwelling?

Depends on what everyone else is playing, especially if someone has Darklings or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROwan Scovell-Lightfoot
msg tools
Why the darklings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a great place to start: Engineers opening statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The biggest strength of the engineers is that buildings are cheap and their income isn't reduced by much, so they often can afford to build a lot. Another strength is that grey has a lot of hexes available by shipping, which again makes it easier to build a lot. So put succinctly: build a lot! Combine this with round bonuses and vp bonus tiles and favors for maximum points.

Some other advice off the top of my head:

Try not to end a round with exactly 3 or 6 dwellings; upgrade one to a tp instead.

Even though you can build bridges for 2 workers, it's still more efficient to use 3 power.

The 5 power income from your second temple is great. Get it early (round 1 or 2) then use that power for resources or spades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
As "The Halfling", you're not supposed to play Engineers! whistle

Power actions ACT3-6 are more valuable for Engineers than for other factions due to their cheaper prices and their lower worker income. Fortunately their power income isn't reduced - with a 2nd temple it's actually better than that of most other factions.

Spades from workers are even costlier and thus less recommended for Engineers than for other factions, and advancing the terraforming efficiency is even less attractive for them than for most others for the same reason. Therefore, Engineers should rely on the spade power actions (ACT5/ACT6), the spade bonus tile (BON1) and round bonus tiles for terraforming.

An Engineer with 3+ dwellings on the map misses out on 2w income, but saves 1w for all upgrades compared to other factions; this means they're usually shorter on workers than everybody else. It also makes the 2w power action (ACT3), bonus tiles with worker income, the Earth 2 favor (FAV7: +1w +3pw) and round bonus workers most valuable for them.

OTOH Engineers earn just as many coins from their TPs as everybody else, but save 1c per building. So they will rarely need to convert workers to coins.

One thing about building the SH: it is indeed attractive to build the SH in the later game (e.g. SH in round 5 will likely result in 16VP or so assuming 2 bridges in round 5 and a 3rd in round 6), but Engineers can win big without their SH and any bridge VPs by just spamming their cheap dwellings and TPs in the relevant scoring rounds while holding the relevant favor tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lewis
msg tools
mb
One additional way to frame the goal of the Engineers, knowing that they benefit from power more than any other faction: secure good leeching relationships!

From their particularly common starting placements on the original board (E7 and F6), as Engineers you should be going all out to secure nearby hexes (D4/E9/F4, and to a lesser extent D7/G2/C3). While early dwellings are near-universal good advice for getting worker income, from the Engineers' perspective there are special advantages:

- D4 means leech from brown/black/yellow at E6 and blue/green at C3/D5
- E9 means more leech from black/brown at E10 and F5
- F4 means more leech from yellow at F4 and brown/black/yellow at E6
- Finally, Losing these spots (D4 to yellow/brown, F4 to Nomads sandstorm, or E10 to black) cuts off the Engineers from grey hexes and whole sections of the board (to varying degrees)

(Playing against your color neighbors (red and green) means you lose some of these routes to start off, but make it ever more important that you secure the other ones!)

I like the Engineers because there are both plenty of well-established strategies AND a ton more tactical tinkering to figure out, such as when to build each building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.