Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So can someone comment on the experience of playing Flatline as a solo game? I play Fuse primarily solo and enjoy it thoroughly. But I'm concerned from reading the few available descriptions and reviews of this game is that it might be a little too much to manage for a solo player. So could someone provide some insight, and more importantly comment on whether the game is worth purchasing primarily for solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrie K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This video of a solo play was added recently.
His review is just after 33:00.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/140231/flatline-fuse-aftersh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a video of a solo game. I tried it once and it seems a bit easier than the 2 player but it functions about like it and has the same setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you like Fuse solo, you'll like this. It's definitely harder than Fuse. When that timer starts, there's a lot to figure out. I played with 5 the other night, and we were able to basically assign people to different tasks and that worked really well. You can't do any of that solo.

But I like it a lot and I like it better than Fuse. It's hectic and stressful, but very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at least one game at every player count now, including quite a few solo games and I absolutely love it. It may take a few plays to get the hang of it, but it's totally manageable and tons of frantic fun. If you like FUSE there's a really good chance you'll like Flatline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for the help.
I checked out the video and I will be picking the game up at my FLGS.
And the added benefit was discovering through your reference the great video play-throughs that Colin Degnan puts out (One Stop Shop Co-op).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it solo about 5 times and a win is rare. I was also playing a couple things wrong that I am aware of now.

The biggest thing about playing solo would be to take a good, hard look at what the emergencies and the patients need. Since you have no one to discuss with it's easy to just keep the game moving and start rolling dice.

The other is that since you are rolling 2 different colors of dice, it takes a second or two to analyze what you have in comparison to what you need. When the requirement for 2 players comes up, it's easy to forget that it needs to be 2 different colored dice, even though it's coming from 1 player.

Enjoy the game! I play FUSE a lot solo and Flatline still makes you feel all the panic in that short minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
It's really good at all the player counts, have played around 16 games solo (some of which to get used to the game), 3 of which are on the harder setting (8 patients) and have just beaten it on that level. I like that theres an option to have more events.

Really like this game, very doable while still being challenging. Similar respect I like FUSE a lot solo, have beaten it on insane level difficulty, is a challenge though.

Solo can be easier in this game in some ways, although there's a lot of focus on for one player until you start narrowing down the options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
boardgamemeltdown wrote:
Enjoy the game! I play FUSE a lot solo and Flatline still makes you feel all the panic in that short minute!

Is also nice when you narrowly get a win on the last turn, nice to have different, interesting and fun games like this one out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lylith82 wrote:
Is also nice when you narrowly get a win on the last turn, nice to have different, interesting and fun games like this one out there.

Had a situation like this the other night, where the only way I could win on the last turn was if I drew the Stat Card that gave me a free clear (which I did) and if I got a near-perfect roll (which I did) because I needed every last die to make it work. It was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Pike
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this thread has been inactive a few months, but I just played my first solo game of Flatline, and I have a few questions.

First, I wonder what difficulty level people are playing on - especially those who commented above?

Second, if you discovered an error during resolving as a solo player, how did you handle it? (I had placed dice on a blue emergency, but missed the = sign. There was another blue emergency right next to it with two wild spaces so I just cleared it. But depending on the error, I think penalizing myself by just denying anything, basically losing the dice, is probably the only solution. There were two times I almost missed following the rule for how many must contribute on a patient.

Third, do you have any tricks for rolling both sets of dice that help with re-rolls? I rolled both colors into the same dice tray....which made separating out one color to do a re-roll slow.

Overall, I was surprised at how easy my first solo play on training was. I ended with six patients cured with one turn unused, though I did have a bonus cube back due to Recharge reward. I did not use either recharge station in this first play.

I plan to do the next solo game on standard. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.