Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this several times now:
You have a game that you love and play a lot. Then there comes an expansion. You buy it and play the game and love it even more with the new stuff.
This might go on for several new releases but then eventually comes the point where there is the killing expansion.

This single expansion that makes you neglect the game completely. You still love the game. You were looking forward to getting and playing that new expansion but somehow you loose that urge after you have it.

And then there are these games...on the shelf...looking at you...pleading...judging you...

[EDIT for clarity]

This is from a later post of mine but I think this is clearer than the original post:

It is like flipping a switch.

I unwrap the expansion, put it in the basegame and the basegame on the "next to play"-pile and then it stays there since I suddenly have no urge to play the game anymore.

Somehow like I've achieved the goal of having the expansion and now I can focus on other things.

Have you suffered this as well?
What did you do to bring the game back to the table without forcing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the expansion make you neglect it? It sounds like you're talking about an expansion which you simply don't enjoy, even though you enjoy the base game (and perhaps other expansions).

In which case, I'd simply continue enjoying the game - without that expansion.

Do you mean that you somehow feel compelled to play with every expansion, even ones which you don't like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit different:
I can't tell if I enjoy the expansion since I haven't played the game since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
It's a bit different:
I can't tell if I enjoy the expansion since I haven't played the game since...

I.e. that specific expansion somehow just doesn't interest or motivate you?

Then again, I'd continue enjoying the game without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the question either.

Seems that you either don't like the expansion and should just remove and sell it, or that you've played the game too much and are simply fed up with it.

Has it happened to me yet? No. The only case where it could have is Ascension and I play the expansions stand-alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok let me rephrase it:

I unwrap the expansion, put it in the basegame and the basegame on the "next to play"-pile and then it stays there since I suddenly have no urge to play the game anymore.

Somehow like I've achieved the goal of having the expansion and now I can focus on other things.

Is this more clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.

Well then yes it has. Looks like you're collecting more than anything then. I do that with promos. And sometimes Kickstarted games. They're becoming more of a trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

I.e. that specific expansion somehow just doesn't interest or motivate you?

More like this but the motivation for the whole game.

And this is although I was interested in the expansion. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Oh.

Well then yes it has. Looks like you're collecting more than anything then. I do that with promos. And sometimes Kickstarted games. They're becoming more of a trophy.

Actually not.
In fact I'm selling the games that don't get played... I have reduced my collection pretty much already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a comment once on Istanbul that read more or less

"I loved the game, but the expansion was terrible so I sold everything"

Say what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly what OP means. I bought Zombicide way back (retail). We all loved it so much, we played it over. And over. Almost every day (it was before I started logging my plays on BGG) and we never stopped at only 1 play. I jumped on KS for Season 3 when I heard about it (it was my first KS ever). I bought Season 2, also retail. I bought multiple heroes from KS1&2 on ebay prices.

Since the KS for Season 3 came, there is just too much stuff. It takes almost an hour just setting it up (getting all the zombies out of the box is just crazy). I have only played it 4 times since it came. I just looked - my last play was on 2017-10-16. Almost 2 years ago. I still love the memories of the game but the so-awaited expansions just totally killed my desire to get it all out on the table It is my biggest shame.

So yeah...I totally know what you mean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capricorn_tm wrote:

I don't get it. This is exactly what Russ was pointing to. If you don't like the expansion but want to play the game, play vanilla without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Ok let me rephrase it:

Is this more clear?

FWIW I don't recall this happening to me.

Perhaps not coincidentally I tend to less automatically buy expansions than many people do. But if I end up with an expansion that doesn't motivate me, and I still enjoy the base game, I play the base game without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
7 Wonders Babel.
There was just so much stuff in the box after I added Babel. Never played it ever after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if you're referring to a specific game, but let me ask you this:
Is it possible another game similar to the game you used to play, has come along and killed the original game for you, and subconsciously you thought an expansion might revive your love for it?

It's happened to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Neumeyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suppose I have an example. I liked Five Tribes when it first came out, and played it whenever I could. I never purchased my own copy though. Then the Artisans expansion came out, I really disliked it. But since then, everyone that I know who owns Five Tribes only plays with the expansion, so I have avoided playing it since. I know that's not exactly the OP's situation, but as close as I could come. If it were me that owned it, and I was disappointed with the expansion, I would have sold or traded it away and continued playing the base game, and maybe hoped for a different and better expansion in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimboThulu61 wrote:
I'm not sure if you're referring to a specific game, but let me ask you this:
Is it possible another game similar to the game you used to play, has come along and killed the original game for you, and subconsciously you thought an expansion might revive your love for it?

It's happened to me.

Yes this has happened to me as well but I sold the games that were surpassed by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
capricorn_tm wrote:

I don't get it. This is exactly what Russ was pointing to. If you don't like the expansion but want to play the game, play vanilla without it.

Sure, but it often it isn't as simple as that. I've seen occasions where a game group gets hooked on an expansion and then refuse to ever play the base game alone. This then puts people at odds with each other on how the game should be played, and the end result sometimes is the game never again sees the light of day.

EDIT: I didn't read through the bottom of the thread and saw the point was essentially covered a couple posts above mine, i.e. also consider this to be a subset of the cult of the new where "game with expansion" is supposedly considered to be unequivocally better than "game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only buy expansions to games you love and want to play a lot, but feel that they're lacking in content, and variety for the long run.

Five games come to mind that we've shelved ever since getting expansions.

Arkham Horror- same as below.

Eldritch Horror- it's just too complicated for us.With extra cards and side boards getting added it became too much

Descent 1st and 2nd Edition- honestly, I think this kind of dungeon crawlers is just not for us. Too much modifier accounting.I thought that expansions would breathe new life into the experience but it just made things cluttered.

Race for the Galaxy-after getting The Gathering Storm and two other expansions , we've added everything into the mix and have hardly played since. Takeovers, prestige- imperial/rebel. Why, oh why?

I may need to separate the Brink of War extra stuff to get this back to the table, if at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Favorite games that have been improved with expansions
-------------------------------------------------------
Pandemic:The Cure. The Experimental Meds expansion is a must.

Elder Sign- expansions made the game better,more varied and challenging.

Talisman-revised 4th edition-

I own 11 of the 14 expansions.

The Cataclysm expansion has single-handedly returned this game to the table for us.The alternate main board is excellent. And the new additions have made the game brisker, more dynamic and more interesting for us.

We've found it best to play with the base game+Cataclysm+one other small expansion for a good variety of encounters, and without risking a dilution of theme and content.
All achieved in up to 90 minutes of playtime.

While we're not fans of playing with the corner boards and the main board together, we still use variants to play with the side boards as standalone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are weird for me.

If I don't really enjoy a game, buying an expansion is not necessary.

If I really enjoy a game and play it often, buying an expansion might be justified. However, usually the expansion changes the game a bit, and I don't enjoy it as much as I did without the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two answers for this.

Roll for the Galaxy: I liked the game but it was already teetering on the edge of having too much control over the dice. It was already pretty easy to have the dice roll not really limit the players in any meaningful way. When the Ambition expansion came out, this made the problem even worse, and soured me even more on the base game, so I sold both.

Imperial Settlers: I love The New Era, and was excited about this streamlining of the rules, even though the setting didn't do anything for me. I liked the game well enough, though it always mostly made me just wish I was playing The New Era instead. The first expansion, Atlanteans, I found frustrating, as making full use of it required a lot of work, including possibly faction deck construction, which I wasn't interested in doing. When 51st State Master Set was released it eliminated that problem and returned the setting to what I preferred and IS was out the door. Even if 51SMS hadn't come out, I wasn't keen on the expansion system for IS and probably would have dumped it and just worked harder on getting people to play The New Era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is with expansions that add a lot to setup time. I used to play Lords of Waterdeep quite frequently before getting the expansion (which I like), but now I play it about once a year. A part of it is the natural loss of novelty, of course. But when I think of playing it and remember all the sorting and separating cards, often I just choose another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds a lot more like it's about collecting, consumer consumption and acquisitions than it is about the actual games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I have two key examples that are in no way rational:

Elder Sign: The game is half pain / half joy, but Omens of Ice was so sadistic that I could only see the pain side after that.

Mage Knight: This was the game that was played all the time, both 1p and 2p, including playing BGG variant scenarios and creating six characters of our own. Then one single game of Shades of Tezla and we haven't played it since. We may have been reaching that point anyways, but I guess we'll never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me this is an example of fatigue. You know that the expansion adds a lot of complexity or fiddliness to the game and the idea of taking all of that on seems overwhelming. It just saps your will to play the game.

You still think that you want to play the expansion but every time you are picking a game to play you end up saying "Gah, that expansion is going to add another hour to the game. I'm just not up for that now. Next time." It's not that you dislike the expansion or don't want to play it... it just adds a mental hurdle that's hard to overcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.