6 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Variants

Subject: DIY Cards - 'Chinese Variant' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Recently, a DIY competition of TS cards was held in the CTSA (abbr for Chinese Twilight Struggle Association, I don't remember who named it, but let's use). The following cards are considered 'good design' in CTSA. As one of the judges, I'd like to put these qualified cards here for y'all to have a look.

Berlin International Film Festival* (Early, US, 1op)
US gain 1vp for each US controlled Eastern Europe country plus West Germany. This card can be discarded due to Blockade.

Sino-Soviet Treaty of Friendship and Alliance* (Early, USSR, 2op)
If USSR has the China card, gain 2VPs, otherwise add 1 influence to a country in Asia.

Sputnik-1 Launched* (Early, USSR, 2op)
Minus 1 to Operation points request for further USSR space race attempt.
Cancelled by the US play of 'One Small Step' or Star Wars.

'Victorious February'* (Early, USSR, 2op)
Remove all influences in Czechoslovakia, then roll a dice, add USSR influences in Czechoslovakia equal to the die result.

Austrian Independence* (Early, Neutral, 2op)
Gain 1vp. If no one controls Austria, remove all influences in Austria, and Austria can't be claimed as a target of Marshall Plan, COMECON and Warsaw Pact Formed afterwards..

Tide of Iron (Early, Neutral, 3op)
Choose a target country with at least one neighbor you control(include US itself). If your Military Operation is above current DEFCON level, attempt a free coup against the target country with the operation points of this card; otherwise remove 1 opponent influence in target country and gain 2 Military Operation.
Target country must have opponent influence.

Double Agent (Early, Neutral, 2op)
Randomly show a card from your opponent's hand, if the card contain your event or it's a scoring card, it occurs immediately; otherwise, the card can't be played as event in the reminder of the turn.

American Dream (Mid, US, 3op)
Add one US influence in 3 USSR-controlled countries with at least one US-controlled neighbor(include US itself). If Kitchen Debates or Voice of America already happened in this Turn, Add 2 influences each instead.

The Tsar Bomba* (Mid, USSR, 3op)
Roll a dice, if the result is 1, gain 4 VP; if 2-4, gain 2vp and add 1 influence in Eastern Europe; if 5-6, gain 1vp and degrade DEFCON level by 1.

Proxy War (Mid, Neutral, 2op)
Target a non-European control you controlled, attempt a free coup with this card's operation points against one of its neighbors. If you control that neighbor after the coup, gain 1vp; otherwise you remove one influence from the target country.
This card is considered a War Card.

'Union No.1'/‘Apollo No.1’* (Mid, Neutral, 1op)
Retreat opponent player's Space Race marker one box. Do not retreat if it's in the first box.

Mutual and Balanced Force Reductions (Mid, Neutral, 1op)
Remove one your influence from 2 European countries, then you may remove one opponent influence from 2 other European countries.

Global Striking Force (Late, US, 3op)
Remove 2 USSR influence and add 1 US influence to a country with no US influence, then gain 2 Military Operation.

Lome Convention* (Late, US, 3op)
US may add 1 influence in a non-USSR controlled Africa/Central America country for each country controlled: UK, France, West Germany, Italy, Benelux.

Space Tragedy* (Late, USSR, 2op)
Retreat US player's Space Race marker one box. US player may not attempt further space race, or play 'One Small Step' as event this turn.

3rd Plenary Session of the 11th Central Committee* (Late, Mid, 3op)
Remove China Card from the game.
Prohibit Ussuri River Skirmish, Nixon plays the China card and Cultural Revolution as event.

I will supplement the reasoning/comment of the cards later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing these! I always enjoy reading about variant cards for TS, especially from other countries.

As a student of history, I often wondered about the game creators' decision to exclude the influence of Deng Xiaoping on China's return to modernity. Perhaps Deng's influence would come too late in the game for the game designers to bother with it so close to the end of the Cold War. While I understand the decision may also have come for reasons to do with play balance, I think the 3rd Plenary Session of the 11th Central Committee card is an interesting way to include that important historical moment in China's history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh I quite like some of these.

Sputnik-1 is really nice, pretty awesome headline for USSR turns 2-4. American dream is interesting, the adjacency requirement keeps it from being bonkers good. Playing it after VoA is just salt in the wound for sure.
Lome convention is a powerful late game play too. Have you played with any of these cards? Would you just add them into the deck? Adding these plus the official promo cards would wreak havoc on the reshuffles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Some, like 'Victorious February' and Austrian Independence (except maybe a turn 1 USA headline and nothing better in hand), seem unlikely to be worth the event in the vast majority of situations. Sputnik-1 is too powerful and should be a 3 or even 4 op card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
A few interesting ideas there. Thanks for sharing. There are so many good card ideas around that one could easily make up a variant deck with far fewer neutral cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eruantalon _
msg tools
mb
Quote:
I will supplement the reasoning/comment of the cards later.

Well, I get this:

Sputnik-1 Launched* (Early, USSR, 2op), easily. (Save USSR from stupid defcon lose/being unable to space some nasty stuff upon reaching 4th box)

Tide of Iron (Early, Neutral, 3op) - complicated wording and very strong event - defon sui for USSR and 2VP for US, also 3 US Op in early war...

Rest of the cards is sometimes cool, sometimes not, but don't get the reasoning/logic behind them too well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.