Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like the concept of a game that has one map showing what areas you control and a separate "pull out" map strictly for battles. Some games that come to mind with this feature are the Field Commander Series from Dan Verssen Games (DVG), Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, and New York 1776 / Trenton 1776. I was just wondering if there were any other games with this kind of thing because I really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 comes to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same, but the old Games "Gulf Strike," and "Aegean Strike," both had strategic maps to show the larger region, but the main map was operational and was wherevmost of the gameplay occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Won by the Sword has an abstract tactical "map" to resolve the battles on the operational map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with Battle Boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Battles has both a strategic level map and the possibility of resolving individual battles on a tactical scale.

The main game is of course the recreation of about 40 historical battles at the tactical level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several Columbia games (e.g. Quebec 1759) have a simple tactical battle resolution (resolved separately off the main map) with a left/center/right column + reserve spatial aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalanche Press' Great War at Sea and Second World War at Sea series all uses separate tactical map to resolve combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Oh, neat. I didn't know this list existed. Going to add Agricola, Master of Britain to it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Titan has the main board for recruiting, and Battlelands for each terrain type to fight out the engagements.

Most naval combat games focusing on carrier actions include strategic or search boards and tactical or battle boards.

Also, some games are set up to use each other when moving from one scale to another. The Renegade Legion series of games could allow you to move from tactical fighters to capital ships to planetary assaults by using multiple game sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
This one's been redone, if I'm not mistaken. I've only played the Wargamer Magazine version, however. It had a separate and pretty simple tactical map.

Holy Roman Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The Ancient Wars Series has one of the best working battle boards.

The combat display in I Am Spartacus! works pretty well, better than its predecessor, Alexandros.

Probably the most elaborate battle board system (for one of the most elaborate games, War in the Pacific (first edition)): War in the Pacific Tactical Surface Combat.

Some naval games: Carrier Battles, Midway, Guadalcanal.

Note: one needs to be careful, as there are about as many badly working battleboards as there are well working ones. Some to avoid (and I mean really avoid): The Conquerors, Imperium: 3rd Millennium,
Great War at Sea.

Midway was groundbreaking in its day, but the tactics used on the battleboards have nothing to do with the historical tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some excellent games listed here, but, I am surprised that these didn't make it to the list already.

Bismarck and/or Bismarck (second edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War in the Pacific (second edition). Has separate tactical maps for many of the Pacific islands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:

Played this to death with my buddy when we were teenagers in the 60's.

Nostalgia ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Battle Boards! I couldn't think of what they were called. Thanks, this is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Vimy145 wrote:

Played this to death with my buddy when we were teenagers in the 60's.

Nostalgia ...

As a teen in the 1980's, I played this one, not to death, but, frequently. I lost every game I every played. Still bought it after my friend who owned the game, [yes, he did play it to death], moved away.

Yes, nostalgia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games with battle boards, too (so much that I designed one myself)...

What I like about them is their ability to bring some grand-tactical or tactical elements into a larger-scale campaign, conveying the flavor of more granular combat but in a much more abstracted way than a straight hex-and-counter tactical wargame would.

I think wargames with battle boards are most successful when...
1. The player feels able to accept the greater abstraction.
2. The designer managed to peg the abstraction at "just the right level" (more an art than a science) to make something fun and playable, preserving the specific feel of the game's setting and keeping it historically plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The States of Siege game Cruel Necessity by VPG has one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.