10 Posts

Rise of Tribes» Forums » General

Subject: Unique Card Decks for Each Tribe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
msg tools
mb
This game looks great and this is not intended to be a post to bash the game. Really just wanted to put out there though, if this game had unique card decks for each tribe, I would be all in 100X over. Even if almost like Scythe you were to select a unique deck at random like a gatherer deck, or a hunter deck, or an explorer deck combined with your tribe's special ability would make for a more unique experience for each player at the table. Could even influence your decisions on your tribes special power. Anyone else share these thoughts, or have any thoughts on the game as is. Still on the fence about backing this one, that one little detail has me holding off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Sietze Kronemeijer
Netherlands
Sassenheim
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea sounds great, but i'm not a designer so don't have a clue if it is in any way possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would take lots of work to balance the game. Likely would need the game to last longer to help balance play as well. Love the idea. But, it would be a different game. Given the solid basic mechanics of Rise of Tribes, this could be a sweet variant - or be a great way to drive scenario play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MillerTruck07 wrote:
This game looks great and this is not intended to be a post to bash the game. Really just wanted to put out there though, if this game had unique card decks for each tribe, I would be all in 100X over. Even if almost like Scythe you were to select a unique deck at random like a gatherer deck, or a hunter deck, or an explorer deck combined with your tribe's special ability would make for a more unique experience for each player at the table. Could even influence your decisions on your tribes special power. Anyone else share these thoughts, or have any thoughts on the game as is. Still on the fence about backing this one, that one little detail has me holding off.

Thanks for the input and looking over the game!

While the decks for every player have the same cards, because they are shuffled and you generally only draw some of them each game, each player and each game will have varying goals to choose from. And once you draw those cards you have still have to fulfill them in order for them to take effect. So if one player has developed Oxen and Basketry then they are set up for a GATHER strategy. If another player has developed Pottery and is working on the Build Entire Tribe achievement then they are playing an expansionist strategy.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Larivière
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that randomly selecting a deck along with a tribe faction would require a lot of balance testing, and could result in relatively stronger matches happening (like in Scythe). However, another way to add asymmetry to the game would be to add 5 different cards that are unique to each tribe deck (and that would preferably synergize with that tribe's special ability). Therefore, each tribe could have access to its own perks, and it would be much easier to test for balance.

That could even be the next stretch goal! Virtually, it would add 40 cards to the base current, but you could also start with adding 1-3 only (therefore adding 8-24 cards).

However, this idea raises a production issue. Given that the deck backs now have red/blue/green/yellow colors associated with the player, the creation of "tribe decks" would now double the amount of cards to be printed, along with specific backs for each tribe. This would definitely increase production costs. A cheaper alternative would be to make a black-colored back for these unique cards. At the beginning of the game, players would identify and pick their tribes' unique cards (identified with that tribe's symbol on the text side) and shuffle them into their deck (re-shuffle if black card on top). The downside would be that players could see whether a unique card is coming (which one would not be known though). The upside is that this might provide an incentive for players with a black card on top to draw with the Lead action! To reduce such incentive, the powers on the tribe-specific cards should not be TOO powerful, just different.

I could totally see these tribe-specific unique cards as being an optional variant to the base game, like the tribe-specific ability. I'm pretty sure KS backers would be glad to see these. With regards to balance testing, there would probably be enough time in the coming months before final production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Larivière
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I've notice that Rise of Tribes made some appearances in the BGG hotness (comes and goes), although the number of KS backers could be higher. I suspect a lot of people set reminders and will wait at the last minute to fund or not, depending of the evolution of the project.

Therefore, it might be a good idea to have a Schedule of stretch goals ready for the final 2 days. Seeing "Adding tribe-specific cards for an improved asymmetrical experience" would certainly generate interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An idea would be to tie tribe specific goal cards to the leader meeple social stretch goal. To get a leader meeple, you must meet a tribe specific goal first. Each tribe starts with the goal in play(so card back doesn't matter), and like the tribe abilities these could be double sided for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the designers would be okay with it or not ... but this sounds like it could be a project someone could put together that can be added to the file section here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
I don't know if the designers would be okay with it or not ... but this sounds like it could be a project someone could put together that can be added to the file section here on BGG.
They can correct me as needed, but I'm pretty confident that Breaking Games will welcome fan made variants - including cards.

Breaking Games is the publishing arm of Admagic and very much an indie publisher with strong ties to many, many game design communities. I work for a sister company, Print & Play Games, that got started and continues to serve the community by printing cards, tuck boxes, and more from files that people send us. BGG is where most people get the files they send us. We are a gamers print shop capable of creating the custom game parts you want on your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onewingedangel777 wrote:
Therefore, it might be a good idea to have a Schedule of stretch goals ready for the final 2 days. Seeing "Adding tribe-specific cards for an improved asymmetrical experience" would certainly generate interest!
Agree! Thanks for wishing the best possible outcome for Rise of Tribes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.