Subject: Just received and so excited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a copy of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) first edition (2012) as well as the Conversion Kit and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Forgotten Souls and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Nature's Ire.

I am assuming since I don't own any first edition stuff that the conversion kit is kind of useless at this point, but I have a few questions with regards to everything else.

I want to make this a really good experience for my wife so I have been watching videos and going over the rulebook. I have played in a campaign of imperial assault so I have some familiarity with this type of game play. What I want to do is set up a co-op campaign. I am just wondering if it would be better to use the Road to Legends app with the base game or to use either the Nature's Ire or Forgotten Souls. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if it is a big hit with my wife what expansions or hero/monster packs should I add the soonest.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd start with the app — it takes care of a lot of stuff you'll have to do yourself with the co-op stuff. I'm pretty sure Nature's Ire requires at least one monster you don't have.

I'd also recommend soloing a quest or two in it to get a grip on how the rules work. The monster "AI" rules are a little tricky.

(Also, the conversion kit may not be useless, if you have figures to proxy with.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I have a ton of Warmachine stuff that I've been trying to sell for months. I suppose I could always use those as proxies. I have to find the pdf of the rules for Nature's Ire and print them off. I noticed on the app that Nature's Ire and Forgotten Souls are not present, so I assume that those have to be played solely without the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the two Co-op adventures came out before the app and are not supported. The rules for Nature's Ire and Forgotten Souls are here:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/d5/ae...
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/88/86...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have a ton of Warmachine stuff that I've been trying to sell for months. I suppose I could always use those as proxies.

There are also some files in the game's Files section for creating flat monster/hero tokens or standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
What I want to do is set up a co-op campaign. I am just wondering if it would be better to use the Road to Legends app with the base game or to use either the Nature's Ire or Forgotten Souls.

I'd suggest app. All 3 options you're asking about will be more or less the same EXCEPT that the app takes care of several mechanics that you'd have to keep track of when you play the other two. It's not overwhelming once you're used to the game, but first game with the wife, keep it as simple as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Sarcasmorator wrote:

(Also, the conversion kit may not be useless, if you have figures to proxy with.)

There are also some unnerfed alternate hero cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
The app will be easiest, but I enjoyed the coops as such or solo before it came out.

Start with big boxes then smaller, then h&m if you go that deep into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
DanielFirestorm wrote:

Start with big boxes then smaller, then h&m if you go that deep into it.

I'll disagree, the heroes and monsters packs provide more diversity to the game. Not getting them until after you've played all the content seems backward.

If he's going to bother getting them which is not at all a given since he already has all the cards, he might as well get what he's going to before playing through everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I want to proxy some of the monsters from the conversion kit do I have to figure out which expansion they are from in 2nd edition and add that entire expansion? If I do that will it mess things up that I don't have map tiles other than from the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The conversion kit only deals with monsters from the first edition, so you won't need to figure anything out if you play tabletop. Just proxy what you want.

For the app, you'll want to add whichever Hero and Monster packs you'd like to include monsters from. This will allow you to use the heroes as well. BUT, some of the monsters have differences that will matter in the app, so you may want to also check out those differences (look at the Descent Wiki) to be prepared. And there are some packs with monsters that weren't in 1E, so you'll need to watch for that.

If you add boxed expansions you don't have, you'll run into quests requiring tiles from them, so I'd avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
swmalone wrote:
So if I want to proxy some of the monsters from the conversion kit do I have to figure out which expansion they are from in 2nd edition and add that entire expansion? If I do that will it mess things up that I don't have map tiles other than from the base game?

Yes, you do have to figure out where they came from and add that, I'd suggest the descent wiki: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark_(Second_Edition)_Wiki

There are a bunch of "heroes and monster packs" which contain miniatures for monsters from 1st ed. and cards which you already have. There are no map tiles in these packs.

So for instance if you have a couple of troll mini's a couple of Ogre mini's and a couple mini's that can pass for manticore. You could add the visions of dawn expansion and those monsters would show up to fight you when it's thematically appropriate: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Visions_of_Dawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. I was able to get a solo quest played on the app. I think it is good I did that by myself first. I was hoping to get a game in with my wife this weekend, but we have add issues with a skunk hanging out in our yard harassing our chickens, so I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it and keep it out. Hopefully we can get rid of it and keep it out then we can get a game in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the tutorial quest of RTL with my wife. It went over pretty well, so I'm hoping we can get it to the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swmalone wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions and info. I was able to get a solo quest played on the app. I think it is good I did that by myself first. I was hoping to get a game in with my wife this weekend, but we have add issues with a skunk hanging out in our yard harassing our chickens, so I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of it and keep it out. Hopefully we can get rid of it and keep it out then we can get a game in.

You've got to stun and immobilize it first. Then it only gets one action and can't move. Leaves you free to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
swmalone wrote:

You've got to stun and immobilize it first. Then it only gets one action and can't move. Leaves you free to attack.

It has amazing defenses though.

Actually it seems that we might have run it off. We spread mothballs all over our property, which creates another issue. I set up a cheapo trail cam to see if anything has been coming and going and so far no skunks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.