Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Idea for a new faction - Power Chameleons (Black) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Updated: 2017-Jun-30

Power Chameleons (aka Version X):
Each Power Value symbol of the Structures is always selectable as 0 or 1 Power.

Initial Cult:
1 Water + 1 Fire

Ability:
You may reduce any amount of Power when you leech due to opponents building activity, costs "# of Leeched Power - 1" VP.
You may delay to found a Town, to gain 5 VP until the Round of 5 VP for a Town.

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins, Income of 4 Power.
After building, when you decline to leech due to opponents building activity, you gain 1VP.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins, Income of 1 Priest, Gain 1 Favor Tile when building.


------------------------------------------------


Updated: 2017-Jun-25

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins. Income of 4 Power.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 8 Coins. Income of 1 Priest.


------------------------------------------------



Each Power Value symbol of the Structures is always selectable as 0 or 1 Power.

Initial Cult:
1 Water + 1 Fire

Initial Power:
5/7/0

Ability:
You may reduce any amount of Power when you leech from opponents, costs "# of Leeched Power - 1" VP.
You may delay to found a Town, to gain 5 VP until the Round of 5 VP for a Town.

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 8 Coins. Income of 2 Power.
After building, you gain a Favor Tile when Founding a Town.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins. Income of 1 Priest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
Power Chameleons

EDIT Comments:

What kind of FAVs do you expect to get from the SH power? The SH won't be built until a R4 SH/SA round at the earliest for a R5 or R6 Town Round.

This means that it is going to be
FAV 1-4 for 3 cults steps
FAV5 for 2 fire and towns 2 and 3.
FAV6 for 2 water + up to 2 more steps
FAV12 for 1 air and 6-7vp

and less likely
FAV10 for 1 water and 6-12vp

The SH might be too expensive in this regard and 4w6c might be better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
The stronghold seems really weak -- I'd almost always prefer to build a temple. I like the faction ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
xnor wrote:
The stronghold seems really weak -- I'd almost always prefer to build a temple. I like the faction ability.


Agreed. I was thinking to swap the SH ability with the faction ability and reduce the cost of the SH to 4w4c and buff the income. However, that wouldn't really work either since the the variable building power is already listed on the faction board.

Reducing the SH to 4w4c (instead of the 4w6c I originally thought) and buffing the income to 4pw would help make it not a terrible R4 or R5 play if R5 or R6 was a Town Round. As we see with CMs the SH is super cheap and has 2w income with a neat action to take and it is considered one of the weakest SH and would only be built in R5 or R6 SH scoring after the SA is built and if there is nothing better to do... basically advancing dig is usually better in R5 or R6 for CMs anyway unless CMs have BON6.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
Updated. Thank you for your opinions.

Stronghold:
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins. Income 4 Power.
Costs 4 Workers + 8 Coins. Income 2 Power.

Sanctuary:
Costs 4 Workers + 8 Coins. Income 1 Priest.
Costs 4 Workers + 6 Coins. Income 1 Priest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
It just came to my mind, what do you think about the idea of the new Stronghold Ability? It seems a clear direction to specialize this Faction for Power Leech (or Decline).


Stronghold:
After building, when you decline to leech from opponents, you gain 1VP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
bokuteki wrote:

Stronghold:
After building, when you decline to leech from opponents, you gain 1VP.


I think that's horrible for two reasons.
First, the two other abilities connected to leeching in the game work in a way that if others leech off of you, you also get something. That's positive interaction. That makes the game more fun in my opinion, and this ability does not do that. It actually disincentivizes other players from giving you opportunities to leech. Do you really want that?
Second it disincetivizes leeching which again is a fun part of the game. After this is built you effectively pay +1 VP when leeching.

So all in all this ability is very situational, and I think many times it could be bad for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
wallwaster wrote:
bokuteki wrote:

Stronghold:
After building, when you decline to leech from opponents, you gain 1VP.


I think that's horrible for two reasons.
First, the two other abilities connected to leeching in the game work in a way that if others leech off of you, you also get something. That's positive interaction. That makes the game more fun in my opinion, and this ability does not do that. It actually disincentivizes other players from giving you opportunities to leech. Do you really want that?
Second it disincetivizes leeching which again is a fun part of the game. After this is built you effectively pay +1 VP when leeching.

So all in all this ability is very situational, and I think many times it could be bad for you.


You also get something if they decline the leech.

It might work if it was reversed to when you leech you get 1vp. This would mean that Power Chameleons would leech (power - 2vp) instead of (power - 1vp). Of course the whole idea that this faction can always determine their leech amount might already dis-incentivize opponents to give you leech.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
JamesWolfpacker wrote:
wallwaster wrote:
bokuteki wrote:

Stronghold:
After building, when you decline to leech from opponents, you gain 1VP.


I think that's horrible for two reasons.
First, the two other abilities connected to leeching in the game work in a way that if others leech off of you, you also get something. That's positive interaction. That makes the game more fun in my opinion, and this ability does not do that. It actually disincentivizes other players from giving you opportunities to leech. Do you really want that?
Second it disincetivizes leeching which again is a fun part of the game. After this is built you effectively pay +1 VP when leeching.

So all in all this ability is very situational, and I think many times it could be bad for you.


You also get something if they decline the leech.

It might work if it was reversed to when you leech you get 1vp. This would mean that Power Chameleons would leech (power - 2vp) instead of (power - 1vp). Of course the whole idea that this faction can always determine their leech amount might already dis-incentivize opponents to give you leech.


Sorry I misread the ability. I thought it's if you decline leech. I take it all back
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
I don't understand what 2 of you said accurately, because my English skill is not enough. Maybe, is it better to change the Stronghold Ability as the following?

"After Building, when opponent decline to leech due to your building activity, you gain 1 VP."

...Hmm, interesting. I never even thought of that actually (Please correct if I'm wrong).


Version X2
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
That wasn't exactly what I said, but that might be ok... I don't know how often a black player would tend to give leech that is declined in R4-R6 to give an idea of how many vp could possibly be earned. Of course if leech is declined they should get +1pw like Cultists and Shapeshifters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
Today I will testplay which one is better with friends. Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Idea for a new faction - Black (Looking for a good name)
I did testplays and felt that the Stronghold Ability X2 has no sense of unity with the Ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First, thanks for picking my name!

Perhaps either building a dwelling or upgrading next to a player gives you 1vp no matter the leech or not. This should yield between 5-10 vp for R4-R6. Also, you can select how much power that building or upgrade has, so you can always decide to not give leech to another player.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.